IGNORED

A fat person dared to get in my pro-life picture

formergothardite

Awww, no you're not! I think she is one of those people that, much like Raquel, just assumes people are going to adore her and wouldn't pick up if people were sarcastically mocking her to her face.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to know what the "Wesleyan" way of life is. Cos, yanno, I shared a church with Methodists for four years and they seemed pretty normal. I'm not entirely sure what she means by Nazarene either.

Wesleyans seemed pretty average when it came to Christian beliefs to me and I was raised Baptist. I bet she is insufferable to be around.

The Scottish guy had to be yanking her chain. He picked out the colors red and green for early cell phones? Sure...and I invented post-it notes.

I mean to be fair someone did have to come up with those things :). I have one of those little stories myself from my consulting days.

"This is classic Africa."

Generalizing a continent. You go girl. :angry-banghead:

She's been there what? A couple of weeks or something and is an eggspurt on Africa already! What an awesome gal!

I want to know what the "Wesleyan" way of life is. Cos, yanno, I shared a church with Methodists for four years and they seemed pretty normal. I'm not entirely sure what she means by Nazarene either.

Like Methodists and United Methodists, Nazarenes come from the "social gospel" branch of evangelism--they often prioritize social and community engagement over doctrine and tradition, or at least often use the first as a gateway to the second. More conservative types tend to find this a "watered-down" type of faith. I suspect that's where LauraLea's first-world connection is coming from. As for myself, while I do value doctrine and want it present in my congregation regularly, I'm quite attracted to social gospel-y churches. I think they treat people as humans first and sinners second, rather than the reverse found in some more conservative churches.

Today I'm sad to be Scottish :cry:

Aw, OTBT -- I want to give you and your little chicken some hugs.

First I have to catch the chicken:

:animals-chickencatch: :romance-caress::romance-grouphug:

ETA -- the Africa blog seems to be private now -- guess I should have screencapped.

But, it seems she wrote two more books last spring:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6 ... a_Harriott

And, in 2012, she won a scholarship from College Minus and Life Purpose Planning, with the strangest name for a scholarship I've ever seen:

wcsummit.com/2012/04/meet-dusting-for-fingerprints-scholarship-winner-lauralea-harriott/

Yup. You know you are fucked as a race when fuckwits think you are cool.

For some reason this made me think of Renton's rant about being Scottish in Irvine Welsh's Tainspotting which ended with "Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY."

Disclaimer: I loved visiting Scotland and the folks I had the pleasure of meeting were lovely. The same can be said for England and the English.

aw man, she's the one I made the reading list for! I found a book the other day that I was going to add to it:

How dogmatic beliefs harm creativity and higher-level thinking . edited by Don Ambrose and Robert J. Sternberg. Routledge:2012

My guess is she won't be interested.

Jesus fucking Christ. How do people like her even exist?

It's easy -- as with our other correspondent in the SOTDRT forum, CountryBoy, it takes being raised to believe only a very limited range of things, not being exposed to the outside world (except to preach to it), and being told that what the family believes is The One True Way.

And I imagine that some of it is just individual personality. In one of the interviews I found, she praises her mother for having reminded her that her self-centered behavior was not Christ-like, in the past, but I'm not sure she has gotten the message.

Perhaps, even in that upbringing, one can turn out more attuned to others and their feelings, but not if the reminders to do so sometimes fall on deaf ears.

Does anyone know more about the program that sent her to Africa? A google search didn't bring up much except their own site.

http://www.rafikifoundation.org/

Whoever they are, they don't vet their candidates very carefully. You'd think they'd make a point of not sending racist assholes to developing countries. Maybe I'm expecting too much from an organization that exists to "teach the Africans about God" or whatever.

It's easy -- as with our other correspondent, in the SOTDRT forum, CountryBoy, it takes being raised to believe only a very limited range of things, not being exposed to the outside world (except to preach to it), and being told that what the family believes is The One True Way.

And I imagine that some of it is just individual personality. In one of the interviews I found, she praises her mother for having reminded her that her self-centered behavior was not Christ-like, in the past, but I'm not sure she has gotten the message.

Perhaps, even in that upbringing, one can turn out more attuned to others and their feelings, but not if the reminders to do so sometimes fall on deaf ears.

Does anyone know more about the program that sent her to Africa? A google search didn't bring up much except their own site.

http://www.rafikifoundation.org/

Exactly. It is very easy to produce people like this and there are lots of them. CountryBoy really, really thought he had all the answers and that it would be easy for him. She thought that we would love and adore her and was shocked when that didn't happen. They have been raised to think that they have all the answers and they struggle to handle it when they are shown that they don't. She turned into a lying, raging brat. CountryBoy just disappears for a long time trying to figure out why his answers don't work.

I don't understand these missions. 93% of the people in Malawi are either Christian or Muslim already---they know about your God. And it's hardly like the people who practice indigenous religions, or who are atheists, don't already know about the Abrahamic God.

This is the person who was provided for free transportation to an event she wanted to go to by Catholics and then spent the whole trip telling them they weren't real Christians and making fun of their religious services. Pretty sure that the 93% don't live up to her standards.

I expect she means the Church of the Nazarene-- a denomination

/nazarene.org/

365 days ago, I was living for myself. I felt sheepish and foolish. I had no idea where Malawi was other than on the African continent. I had made the flag in high school as part of my social studies class. I never thought about Africa or Malawi, though. I didn't like the sound of it online when looking at Rafiki in Nov/Dec. I had not heard of Rafiki Foundation. All I wanted was to get married someday, be a writer, and serve Muslim immigrants on the side.

I'm sorry, I can't shake the image of her taking an order in a restaurant. "Your entree comes with two sides. So you'd like the Muslim Immigrants. . .good choice!. . .and what else, creamed corn? applesauce?"

Thanks you guys, for resurrrecting this thread. I wasn't a member when it started so missed all the drama. I've had the most entertaining read today!

I expect she means the Church of the Nazarene-- a denomination

/nazarene.org/

I think julie means why she feels that way about nazarene churches. I don't get either honestly. What's wrong with nazarene churches compared to other christian churches. no other christian but here idea of a christian is a real christian apparently. :roll:

For some reason this made me think of Renton's rant about being Scottish in Irvine Welsh's Tainspotting which ended with "Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY."

Thank you for reminding me of Trainspotting. Just, thank you. :lol: :D

Thank you for reminding me of Trainspotting. Just, thank you. :lol: :D

Anytime my dear! I am a fan.

Archived