IGNORED

Close Encounters of the Fundie Kind

happy atheist

My ex just posted parts 1 & 2 of his latest sermons on his FB (public). "The Walking Dead" parts 1 & 2 are an hour each - preached to his wife, her 2 kids, his sister & his niece, in the living room of his house - excuse me, his church.

I hate to snark on him too much, because he did fix my truck, saving me several hundred dollars, but he lives in a dream world.

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work in a (US) federal government building, and it appears someone has deliberately left a crucifix displayed on the counter of the ladies' bathroom this morning.

I just left a sign with it (in Spanish & English) saying that this a federal building & it needs to be taken away. I would do the same for a Koran/prayer beads/Star of David/whatever.

Luckily, I have many non-Christian (most, but not all, Jewish) colleagues, so I doubt I will be accused of waging a "war on Christians."

My new dentist's receptionist was wearing a niqab and an all-black flowy robe thing. Only her eyes were showing. I saw a little glimpse of hand. I have no idea how she handled all that paper or answered the phone. I think she might have had a microphone/earpiece thing under all that. I could barely understand what she was saying, she had to point to the computer screen. The hygenist just had a regular hijab scarf and regular scrubs with pants and was nice enough. My new dentist has a Muslim name, but I guess it's OK for him to touch my sexy, dirty teeth and be up close on my supersexy hair because he went to school.

I grew up fundie-ish, so I get it. But at least in the context of a dental office, you would never know. Kind of weirded out by overt religion like that that in a professional environment, but I guess the scarves and mouth cover actually help cleanliness and hygenie, and then I don't have to talk to them while they're rooting around in there, and nobody tried to convert me or anything, so I guess I'm pro dentist niqab. *shrug*

My new dentist has a Muslim name, but I guess it's OK for him to touch my sexy, dirty teeth and be up close on my supersexy hair because he went to school.

That's pretty rude, even for this forum. Just because he has a Muslim name doesn't mean he's a misogynist. Being a Muslim wouldn't mean he's necessarily a misogynist.

That's pretty rude, even for this forum. Just because he has a Muslim name doesn't mean he's a misogynist. Being a Muslim wouldn't mean he's necessarily a misogynist.

Clearly not, but a niqab would imply the stricter contact rules, which don't apply to him because he is a doctor. I never called anyone a misogynist. Thanks for playing.

Clearly not, but a niqab would imply the stricter contact rules, which don't apply to him because he is a doctor. I never called anyone a misogynist. Thanks for playing.

Wearing a niqab would be the choice of the receptionist, not of the dentist. Also, in this case the covering is not to avoid contact, but to adhere to the receptionist's interpretation of Islamic rules regarding modesty. Since another employee of the dentist felt that she was adhering to those same rules with a head covering and scrubs, it would seem that your dentist is not making clothing rules for his female employees.

I had a good friend in high school who wore a niqab and I never had any trouble hearing what she said. Maybe your receptionist was just a low-talker.

Seems like it's so much more acceptable in this forum to snark on the fundie "Christian" groups with patriarchal (I will not say misogynist) and ubber modest beliefs compared to other groups. I guess this is because the Duggars and Bates etc. prostitute themselves for the media when it comes to their lifestyle.

I wil try to get this thread back on track by sharing that once many years ago I was denied the morning after pill by a Dr. in an urgent care setting because it was "against" his beliefs. I was very young at the time and walked away feeling shamed. Interestingly enough the nurses at the clinic called me at home and suggested I file a complaint because I was not the first patient to be treated this way by said physician. I never did anything (too young, upset and nervous). I wonder if he is still practicing...

Seems like it's so much more acceptable in this forum to snark on the fundie "Christian" groups with patriarchal (I will not say misogynist) and ubber modest beliefs compared to other groups. I guess this is because the Duggars and Bates etc. prostitute themselves for the media when it comes to their lifestyle.

Just to clear, I am not particularly comfortable with the niqab as a clothing choice, in the same way that I am not comfortable with women who wear frumper prairie dresses as a religious statement. I find both to be rather militant "I'm holier than you!" statements. Bud this thread is about encounters with fundies, and it seemed a reach to me to call your dentist a fundie simply because he employs women who chose to cover in some fashion.

About that doctor...I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I had an RN try similar bullshit with me, and because I was older and bitchier I did file a complaint. In part so she would think twice about pulling that stunt with a young woman or someone who was the victim of sexual assault. I have a real problem with healthcare workers who think their religion gives them a pass to not do their job.

You strongly implied that he's a misogynist. And unless the dentist and receptionist are related in some way, I don't see how her choice of dress reflects on his beliefs.

I think it's entirely legitimate to criticize the patriarchal/misogynistic aspects of other religions, but in this particular case I felt that the poster was taking it too far. It's one thing to criticize someone who espouses misogynistic views. It's another thing entirely to criticize a dentist for what his receptionist chooses to wear, just because he and his receptionist are both Muslim.

If you'll notice, we don't generally criticize all Christians, or Christianity as a whole. We limit the criticism to those Christians who encourage patriarchal lifestyles, and recognize that not all Christians agree with that. Why shouldn't we extend the same courtesy to members of other religions?

My best friend threw her cousin a baby shower this weekend and of course, I wanted to know how it went so I just checked out her FB. Her aunt wrote a thank you post and in it there was a discussion of the baby's name, Samuel Matthew. This woman, who I am assuming is a relative, comments that it is a "good Godly and masculine name." The pregnant cousin writes back that it's actually because they love fantasy and characters named Sam seem to always end up dependable and trustworthy and Matthew is her DH's middle name.

The weird relative writes back (direct quote) "Well then, I hope he grows into a loyal and true and Godly boy and young man, if the Lord doesn't come first.(hope He does.)"

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: WHAT>!>!>!?!?! Who the fuck says that???

Just to clear, I am not particularly comfortable with the niqab as a clothing choice, in the same way that I am not comfortable with women who wear frumper prairie dresses as a religious statement. I find both to be rather militant "I'm holier than you!" statements. Bud this thread is about encounters with fundies, and it seemed a reach to me to call your dentist a fundie simply because he employs women who chose to cover in some fashion.

I really like how you articulated this. Thank you! For all we know the dentist might not even give a rats behind about the religious garb his staff wears. In fact he may very well not want it in his office at all. I have met Muslim men who would actually prefer that their wives did not cover. As a new dentist struggling and starting out, he himself could have been pressured to hire a more fundie dressed staff in order to appeal to a more traditional customer base. I mean lets face it there's lots of competition for dentists out there and the schooling sure isn't cheap.

and thanks for the comment on my misogynist doc. experience, ugh! still makes my blood boil.

I think it's entirely legitimate to criticize the patriarchal/misogynistic aspects of other religions, but in this particular case I felt that the poster was taking it too far. It's one thing to criticize someone who espouses misogynistic views. It's another thing entirely to criticize a dentist for what his receptionist chooses to wear, just because he and his receptionist are both Muslim.

If you'll notice, we don't generally criticize all Christians, or Christianity as a whole. We limit the criticism to those Christians who encourage patriarchal lifestyles, and recognize that not all Christians agree with that. Why shouldn't we extend the same courtesy to members of other religions?

Yes and Yes! My apologies for not also quoting your post in my response. I'm just starting to get used to the format.

And to get back to the topic at hand, my fundie-light second cousin recently started asking for donations so he can go on a mission trip. I'm Jewish. It was a little awkward.

But also, he's going to a country that's mostly Catholic. I guess he's one of those Catholics-aren't-real-Christians types. :roll:

I wil try to get this thread back on track by sharing that once many years ago I was denied the morning after pill by a Dr. in an urgent care setting because it was "against" his beliefs. I was very young at the time and walked away feeling shamed. Interestingly enough the nurses at the clinic called me at home and suggested I file a complaint because I was not the first patient to be treated this way by said physician. I never did anything (too young, upset and nervous). I wonder if he is still practicing...

That's awful!

It's just like if a doctor was a Scientologist and refused to treat a person who was mentally ill and just sent them home without any treatment that would be not only irresponsible, but also negligent.

At least the nurses were trying to be responsible. I wouldn't want a doctor like that to treat my daughters!

That's awful!

It's just like if a doctor was a Scientologist and refused to treat a person who was mentally ill and just sent them home without any treatment that would be not only irresponsible, but also negligent.

At least the nurses were trying to be responsible. I wouldn't want a doctor like that to treat my daughters!

That is terrible. Glad that that nurses called but really hope that doctor isn't practicing either. He was not doing his job by denying you what was a) needed treatment and b) imposing his beliefs on you in a very personal way. That's wrong. I am of the opinion that if a health care professional refuses to issue/fill a Rx or give treatment because of beliefs then he or she has no business being in in healthcare, period.

My dentist, too, has a very Muslim sounding name. He even looks Saudi Arabian! ;)

I wouldn't have a clue about his beliefs though - all we talk about is teeth. I really like him. He is professional and he knows exactly what he's talking about. That's all that matters to me. That and the fact that he wears monkey scrubs to make his paediatric patients smile. He is awesome.

My fundy FB friend posted a picture in which she's wearing pants. I'm not sure what the world is coming to lately with all these sightings of fundy girls/women in pants!!!!

A coworker sends his son to a Christian school. Their prom is tonight. No dancing. The whole high school just goes to a nice dinner and then to the mall for a scavenger hunt. He has a date, but I don't see the point in having a date if you 1. Don't get to drive yourself and 2. No dancing/after prom stuff. :?

A coworker sends his son to a Christian school. Their prom is tonight. No dancing. The whole high school just goes to a nice dinner and then to the mall for a scavenger hunt. He has a date, but I don't see the point in having a date if you 1. Don't get to drive yourself and 2. No dancing/after prom stuff. :?

Wacky. What do they do for their date then? Walk around together? Sit next to each other?

I've often thought that booze-free, dance-free weddings would be ridiculously boring. What are you supposed to do at the reception? Eat a piece of cake and then talk politics?

I've often thought that booze-free, dance-free weddings would be ridiculously boring. What are you supposed to do at the reception? Eat a piece of cake and then talk politics?

I went to a dance-free, not quite booze free wedding a couple of months ago. The reception lasted about 3hrs, and I shared a table with several other girls in their late teens/early twenties. When we weren't eating or listening to long, boring speeches, we gossiped.

I went to a Mormon reception when I was a kid (so even if there was booze, I wouldn't have been able to drink it (North American culture sucks)) It was very typical - took place in the church gym, lots of fold out tables and chairs, really noisy, tons of kids, long and boring.

The wedding parties I went to as an adult were way more fun. Booze, shrooms, poker, strippers, and one even had a "pin the tail on the donkey" which involved a long pole with an adult toy attached to it and... well you can imagine ;)

My fundy FB friend posted a picture in which she's wearing pants. I'm not sure what the world is coming to lately with all these sightings of fundy girls/women in pants!!!!

Judgement Day is coming, don't you know. :?

Archived