IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

It was finally nice enough to grill outside tonight. MrDrPusey grilled hamburgers for him. I made a vegetarian paella thing with grilled vegetables. You make the saffron rice separately, combine with the grilled veggies, and then heat it all together in a cast iron skillet back on the grill.

DrPusey- do you have a recipe for the saffron rice? the way you made your veggie paella sounds easy and delicious!!!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Easter Dinner: steaks on the grill, baked potatoes w/sour cream and chives, steamed broccoli w/mock Hollandaise, hot cross buns, and strawberries with Danish junket for dessert.

What is Danish junket?

What is Danish junket?

Danish junket is a powder that comes in a box that you mix with water and heat on the stove top. It turns into a gel like substance and is like the strawberry pie filling you would get in a strawberry pie from the grocery store or a restaurant like Perkins. It's very similar to jello but it is made with tapioca powder instead of gelatin.

post-2623-14451997536094_thumb.jpg

So unhealthy, I could be a Duggar! I made Mr. Morbid and the kiddo bacon/avocado/sprout/hamburgers with microwave potatoes. Please cut me some slack, though, I'm sick and din't feel like cooking FOR REAL! I usually do the family better!

wine. that's right i had wine for dinner. nothing fancy, just a cheap carmenere, but it was my entire dinner. i might make a small salad or fruit/cheese plate later, but for now- just wine. i had a crappy confusing day and wine made me not care :)

wine. that's right i had wine for dinner. nothing fancy, just a cheap carmenere, but it was my entire dinner. i might make a small salad or fruit/cheese plate later, but for now- just wine. i had a crappy confusing day and wine made me not care :)

That is so funny, cuz the neighbor girl ended up coming home with my 12 year old, and I let her eat my burger. What did I care, I had another bottle of wine in the fridge! LOL!!!

Last night, ravioli filled with sweet peas and mint. (I love spring vegetables, yes, indeed.)

Tonight, Greek salad, hummus, and crackers (because I want leftover salad for lunch tomorrow). Cherry clafouti for dessert.

DrPusey- do you have a recipe for the saffron rice? the way you made your veggie paella sounds easy and delicious!!!!

Sure, I'll gladly share. I'm about to go to bed tonight, but I'll look for the recipe tomorrow and try to post it.

I have run out of new and different ideas for the cube steaks and beef cubes we get an abundancce of from the butcher shop every month. I've done stew, stroganoff, and country style steak to death! Any ideas?

Per LillyCat's request, I posted the recipe for the Saffron Rice with Grilled Vegetables in the Great Recipe thread here.

I have run out of new and different ideas for the cube steaks and beef cubes we get an abundancce of from the butcher shop every month. I've done stew, stroganoff, and country style steak to death! Any ideas?

Slow cook it with bbq sauce until it falls apart and have pulled bbq beef sandwiches.

I think we're going to the pub tonight. So we're likely having wings, but we'll see what's on special.

Per LillyCat's request, I posted the recipe for the Saffron Rice with Grilled Vegetables in the Great Recipe thread here.

thank you!!!!!!

tonight i am having golden bbq tofu, coleslaw, and spring peas in a herb butter sauce.

I had a mango and a piece of toast. Waiting for MrDrPusey to come home and I'll bake tempura shrimp from Trader Joe's.

Stew. Again.

Beef cubes, taters, onion, carrots, celery, a can of Campbells Beefy Mushroom Soup, and a can of diced tomatoes. Spices and seasonings, of course. Same meal at least 3 times a month, good but boring (I am totally open to any suggestions that involve beef chunks, buy the way!).

Maybe this isn't the place to ask, or maybe it's the perfect place to ask this following questions:

How many women here do not work outside of the home? I am a stay at home mom with fibromyalgia. I can accomplish one to three things a day, chore-wise, depending on my pain level and fatigue (and the intensity of said chore.) That being said, at least four days a week I cook my family (one mr. morbid, one jr. morbid at home, one jr. morbid off at college and not eating with us any longer) a home cooked meal from scratch. Mr. Morbid is a good hubby who brings home takeout if I've had a particularily bad day, but expects to be served his plate as he sits in front of the 'puter and plays WOW. If I say something to the effect of "it's taco night, everything is ready, build your own", my darling honey will sit there and starve, unless I serve him. Sure, I am a stay at home mom, but I still think he could make his own plate, even after delivering mail all day. Am I wrong?

Stew. Again.

Beef cubes, taters, onion, carrots, celery, a can of Campbells Beefy Mushroom Soup, and a can of diced tomatoes. Spices and seasonings, of course. Same meal at least 3 times a month, good but boring (I am totally open to any suggestions that involve beef chunks, buy the way!).

Maybe this isn't the place to ask, or maybe it's the perfect place to ask this following questions:

How many women here do not work outside of the home? I am a stay at home mom with fibromyalgia. I can accomplish one to three things a day, chore-wise, depending on my pain level and fatigue (and the intensity of said chore.) That being said, at least four days a week I cook my family (one mr. morbid, one jr. morbid at home, one jr. morbid off at college and not eating with us any longer) a home cooked meal from scratch. Mr. Morbid is a good hubby who brings home takeout if I've had a particularily bad day, but expects to be served his plate as he sits in front of the 'puter and plays WOW. If I say something to the effect of "it's taco night, everything is ready, build your own", my darling honey will sit there and starve, unless I serve him. Sure, I am a stay at home mom, but I still think he could make his own plate, even after delivering mail all day. Am I wrong?

Yes. Let him starve. I don't mind serving food on plates if it is that type of dish. But unless he has the decency to attend the table then it can grow stone cold before I turn in to a take-out delivery service.

Tonight I made Chicken Dopiaza, raitha, the child made the most amazing Indian salad. The naan and mango chutney we bought. STILL having no luck making my own naan :(

You're not wrong. I was raised with the big idea of family mealtime, and for myself I would consider that pretty disrespectful of him, to be honest.

He discovered the World Of Warcraft when my 12 year old was an infant, and we lived in a tiny 2-bedroom with no dinette area. Since then, we NEVER eat as a family unless my parents are visiting, or something along those lines.

I love to cook, but since we moved here, every holiday is spent at his mom's, where he actually WILL eat at the table. He won't invite any of his family over to our house, so my table still goes lonely.

At home he plays WOW until he goes to bed. I serve his food to him. He is otherwise very wonderful to me, spoils me, supports me, thinks about what will make me happy, and is my best friend (but not in a creepy david loves priscilla way!) He even pays for a housekeeper, since I have fibromyalgia, he's just off in his own world once he logs into the world...of warcraft. I just hate having to serve a man, my parents taught me right. then, again, they BOTH worked.

Snarkers, snark away. I already know it's coming! Maybe I need to hear it.

He discovered the World Of Warcraft when my 12 year old was an infant, and we lived in a tiny 2-bedroom with no dinette area. Since then, we NEVER eat as a family unless my parents are visiting, or something along those lines.

I love to cook, but since we moved here, every holiday is spent at his mom's, where he actually WILL eat at the table. He won't invite any of his family over to our house, so my table still goes lonely.

At home he plays WOW until he goes to bed. I serve his food to him. He is otherwise very wonderful to me, spoils me, supports me, thinks about what will make me happy, and is my best friend (but not in a creepy david loves priscilla way!) He even pays for a housekeeper, since I have fibromyalgia, he's just off in his own world once he logs into the world...of warcraft. I just hate having to serve a man, my parents taught me right. then, again, they BOTH worked.

Snarkers, snark away. I already know it's coming! Maybe I need to hear it.

MorbidAwe- My view is that if he gets hungry enough he will come get his own food.

OkToBeTakei- here's my naan recipe

1 tsp dried active yeast

½ tsp sugar

½ cup warm water (about 110°F)

1 cup flour + more as needed

½ tsp salt

¼ cup + 1 tsp clarified butter or vegetable oil (I typically use olive oil)

In glass measuring cup, combine yeast and sugar. Add warm water and stir, let rest until foamy, about 5 minutes. Sift together flour and salt, make a well and add yeast mixture and oil. Mix together with your fingers until a smooth dough forms. Knead for 3 minutes. Place remaining oil and dough in a small bowl, turning to coat. Let rest 1 hour, until doubled in size. Divide dough into six pieces and gently roll out. Bake on a baking stone or lightly greased baking sheet, until just golden brown and puffed, about 12 minutes at 400°.

edited to add what we had for dinner, oops. We went to the fish dinner at a local Catholic church, baked whitefish, mashed potatoes, roll and coleslaw.

Stew. Again.

I do work, though my non-classroom work is primarily done at home. (Short version: I can work about three times as long without pain at my home computer as on the campus computers.)

You're being reasonable: you've already done the hard work (prep and cooking); getting up and serving himself isn't that difficult or time-consuming. He's better equipped to know exactly what he wants on his taco at the moment than you are, anyway.

Part of what's going on is that, as you put it, he's in his own world. That I can relate to-- when I'm entirely absorbed in a task, I ignore everyone and everything else, including my partner, and including my own hunger and pain cues. We've decided over time that I can't work through dinner, no matter how necessary it seems. Dinner is together time. It's essential to get out of my own world, into the world I share with other people.

Edited to add: Last night we had okonomiyaki (savory vegetable pancakes). Tonight we're making a Sri Lankan curry with cauliflower, a spicy bean sprout salad, and rice.

Archived