IGNORED

North Dakota Close to Banning Abortions at 6 Weeks

trigger89

Shameful. Embarrassing. Awful.

North Dakota's legislature is full of one issue idiots.

I'm shaking with rage. At 6 weeks women don't even always know they are fucking pregnant yet.

Assholes. Get your religion the actual fuck out of my vagina.

first arizona, now north dakota? Jebus, when are they going to address ACTUAL issues, y'know, like childhood poverty? It's every legislator's business to regulate sex, because the gov's so small y'all!

first arizona, now north dakota? Jebus, when are they going to address ACTUAL issues, y'know, like childhood poverty? It's every legislator's business to regulate sex, because the gov's so small y'all!

Uh yeah, it reminds me of some of the more "crazy" biases some of us Americaphobes used to have about U.S. As kids we sort of imagined that many Americans were so big because they ate everything, including their own children. Moral of story: U.S. didn't seem like a child-friendly place then, and it doesn't seem like it now either. If those crazy politicians get their abortion-bans through, then maybe my childhood horror fantasies won't be just fantasies anymore... You know those news stories from North Korea about parents becoming so desperate in their hunger that they eat their own children? That's where I suspect the pro-life-crazy politics could get you.

North Dakota has an oil boom now and a lot of new people moving in. Maybe the politics will change with the new demographics. I think it's mostly single young men, though, so maybe not.

*rage mode

Damn, I am going to find the names of this anti-choice politicans ans say their names before I go to sleep, Ayra Stark style.

Of course, it wouldn't be for there deaths, but to be unelected

I can't believe it's 2013 and we're still debating this shit. If you don't like abortion, DON'T HAVE ONE!!!!!!!

Uh yeah, it reminds me of some of the more "crazy" biases some of us Americaphobes used to have about U.S. As kids we sort of imagined that many Americans were so big because they ate everything, including their own children. Moral of story: U.S. didn't seem like a child-friendly place then, and it doesn't seem like it now either. If those crazy politicians get their abortion-bans through, then maybe my childhood horror fantasies won't be just fantasies anymore... You know those news stories from North Korea about parents becoming so desperate in their hunger that they eat their own children? That's where I suspect the pro-life-crazy politics could get you.

Wait. What?

And I'm sure the "no abortion for genetic abnormalities" law doesn't include any solutions as to how the parents who may now have horrific medical costs as a result are supposed to survive fincancially. :cry:

And I'm sure the "no abortion for genetic abnormalities" law doesn't include any solutions as to how the parents who may now have horrific medical costs as a result are supposed to survive fincancially. :cry:

If it's like my area, they'll just give those poor parents a list of benefits waitlists to get on - with average wait times of 5-10 years.

Sadly, I think there will be an uptick in children being abandoned or surrendered to Social Services. One of my college friends is a pediatrician in a fairly rural area where the nearest abortion clinic is about 4 hours away (longer if you're getting a 2nd trimester abortion) and she mentioned once that she sees more ill and disabled children being dropped in their ER than she did during residency at a hospital in a major city.

I spent my early childhood in ND.My father and my little brother were born there.I have alot of aunts,uncles,and cousins there.I was always proud of my Norweigan-ND heritage.After reading that-not so much.

As I understand it,the average age of a ND resident used to be around age 54.As someone pointed out, the recent economy boom has likely changed the average age demographic considerably-I would have thought that might make a difference, but as the same person also pointed out, the influx of new residents are likely primarily made up of single young men.

The state I live in now will not perform abortions UNTIL a fetal heart tone can be detected through ultrasound,so as not to risk a missed abortion,as I understand it.This law may have changed in the last several yrs.,but really-how many women who are not actively trying to conceive even know they are pregnant by 6wks??Especially teens,&women with irregular cycles.Even with a predictable cycle that only gives a woman 2 wks to figure out she may be pregnant,take a test,scedule a Dr.appt. for confirmation,decide if she wants an abortion,&make an appt. with the Dr/clinic to have the procedure.

Not all women are like Alice,taking an ept every time she has "parsnips"

Also,ND is made up of alot of rural area, & small towns.There are few "cities" even in the state,especially the further east you get (where most of my family is located.)If any of my cousins needed an abortion they would have to travel all the way to Grand Forks.Thats a several hour trip for some, & at least a couple hours for most.

Did ND look at Arkansas and decided, '12 weeks? We're more God-Loving People than they are and we love babies more so we're going to stop them at 6 weeks!'

I always wonder: when are the people who vote for legislators with priorities like this going to wake up and realize that said legislators are spending so much time and state money on one issue that the rest of the state's business is going to hell in a handbasket?

Yes, praying. God will supply.

I grew up there, too. ND is in the black, though. They have plenty of money because they have plenty of oil. I believe there is only one clinic that supplies abortion services, and that's in Fargo, which is on the far eastern border of the state.

My grandmother, who is very conservative, loves to tell the story of how her mother was in a tornado while pregnant and thrown 25 feet in the air. Her doctor suggested she abort the baby. She refused and isn't it great because we all wouldn't be here!!! What I took from it was, she had a choice. A doctor could have and would have done it back in 1922, legal or not. All Roe v. Wade did was make it legal and safe.

So back to 1922 we go...

The Judicial Committee told these asshole legislators that they should set aside at least two million dollars of the State's two BILLION dollar surplus to defend the inevitable lawsuits that will follow on the heels of this clearly unconstitutional bill. The legislators said, "um, no."

If anyone's looking for the names of these one issue legislators, here is an article on one of them: inforum.com/event/article/id/392797/publisher_ID/1/

The problem in North Dakota is that our legislature only meets every other year and then omly for a few months and the pay is pathetic. Anyone with a real job can't just drop everything to go glad-hand with lobbyists for six out of every twenty four months for little to no pay.

If you really want to be mad, do a search on how the ND legislature just voted no on a $550k school milk bill for needy kids, but then proceeded to give oil companies a tax break. It's a shameful, embarrassing legislative session.

Rep. Bette Grande ® who introduced the bill, had this to say:

"I don't look at it from the financial side of things," Grande told The Associated Press on Friday. "I look at it from the life side of things."

So, Bette, when the lawsuits start up, are you going to be opening up your checkbook to cover the costs? When unwanted children are born, are you going to open up your home and take care of these children until they're adults?

The Judicial Committee told these asshole legislators that they should set aside at least two million dollars of the State's two BILLION dollar surplus to defend the inevitable lawsuits that will follow on the heels of this clearly unconstitutional bill. The legislators said, "um, no."

If anyone's looking for the names of these one issue legislators, here is an article on one of them: inforum.com/event/article/id/392797/publisher_ID/1/

The problem in North Dakota is that our legislature only meets every other year and then omly for a few months and the pay is pathetic. Anyone with a real job can't just drop everything to go glad-hand with lobbyists for six out of every twenty four months for little to no pay.

If you really want to be mad, do a search on how the ND legislature just voted no on a $550k school milk bill for needy kids, but then proceeded to give oil companies a tax break. It's a shameful, embarrassing legislative session.

Off Topic = but how in the world does North Dakota have a 2 billion dollar surplus :shock: Aren't there like less than a million people in the whole state ?

Off Topic = but how in the world does North Dakota have a 2 billion dollar surplus :shock: Aren't there like less than a million people in the whole state ?

The short answer is that we are in the middle of a huge oil boom. ND is number 2 in oil production in the US, behind Texas

North Dakota has a two billion dollar budget surplus that is expected to be at 3.6 billion by the end of 2014. http://abcnews.go.com/US/t/story/north- ... 40%2Cd.aWc

Sorry that link is so long.

Here's what pisses me off: that money belongs to the people of North Dakota and we're going to need it for when the oil companies are done ravaging our infrastructure and they pull out of the state and don't look back. North Dakota and its pathetic one-issue legislators are easy targets for the right wing nut jobs who see a system with a lot of money to fight their abortion battle for them. They can't get away with this crap in poor southern states because there is no state money to defend the litany of lawsuits that will inevitably follow because the law is so clearly unconstitutional.

These right wingers and their Quixotic quest to set women back 50 years are nothing more than carpetbaggers using North Dakota's surplus.

I lived in North Dakota when the economy sucked, I don't plan on leaving when it's good so that these assholes can lay waste to all this money on their ridiculous pet projects.

Archived