IGNORED

We have a new Pope!

duplessis3

This. If anyone (not meaning people here on FJ, just 'anyone' in general) is thinking the Church is going to undergo massive change with the change in pontiff...well, I'm here to say it ain't happenin'. Think a very occasional, teeny, tiny, minute little baby step, one at a time, and not always in quite the right direction. If we're lucky. And the fact that this pope is from South America and not from Europe might be the ONLY baby step we get for a long time to come. :?

I don't think anyone here who knows anything about Catholicism expects another John XXIII anytime soon.

I also don't think that this is a baby step in any positive direction, regardless of where he hails from. I think it was pretty much a wash--doctrinally, he's a Benedict clone in slightly shabbier clothes.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you all have been waiting with baited breath for Abigail's response. Here it is from her FB page:

I can't believe it! Pope Francis I. I've only had two popes in my life and I worried about making space in my heart for "a new father", but naming yourself after St. Francis. He's in my heart from the start!

NBC doesn't like him. That's a good sign!

I like his gentle smile and his humility!

Just finished praying with my New Holy Father! So beautiful!

Pope Francis I loves the Virgin Mary! Yeah!

Now NBC is amazed that people were quiet while they prayed with the pope LOL! We really are counter-cultural. Silence rocks!

I see him as a slight improvement. Very few of the cardinals believed in contraception for any reason but Bergoglio allows it to prevent the spread of disease. He's interested in social justice, which is HUGE to me, given the way liberation theology was treated by JPII and BXVI (I haven't seen anything on Bergoglio/Francis's actual beliefs on LibTheo, though).

My hope is he names some more moderates (and possibly some liberals?!), so as to counterbalance the conservative effect JPII and BXVI's papacies have had on the college of cardinals. There was 0 change of a progressive Pope this time because there weren't any progressive cardinals yet. Hopefully we can get some baby steps towards modernity? Otherwise we need an unknown to come in and surprise everyone by being progressive.

I know you all have been waiting with baited breath for Abigail's response. Here it is from her FB page:

Abigail is a douche who keeps breaking her Lenten Sacrifice. Clearly, she is not following the example of Pope Francis. P.S. Abigail, all Popes (and all Catholic clergy for that matter) love the Virgin Mary. Seriously, did Abigail sleep through most of her RCIA classes? Abigail= Fail

I see him as a slight improvement. Very few of the cardinals believed in contraception for any reason but Bergoglio allows it to prevent the spread of disease. He's interested in social justice, which is HUGE to me, given the way liberation theology was treated by JPII and BXVI (I haven't seen anything on Bergoglio/Francis's actual beliefs on LibTheo, though).

My hope is he names some more moderates (and possibly some liberals?!), so as to counterbalance the conservative effect JPII and BXVI's papacies have had on the college of cardinals. There was 0 change of a progressive Pope this time because there weren't any progressive cardinals yet. Hopefully we can get some baby steps towards modernity? Otherwise we need an unknown to come in and surprise everyone by being progressive.

Ack, I just did some googling and he is anti-liberation theology. Womp womp.

Well, social justice Pope is still an improvement.

One wonders if Bergoglio, SJ, is thinking of St. Francis Xavier. Upon hearing his regnal name my first thought went to St. Francis of Assisi, whom Jesus asked to rebuild His Church. That is what is needed, and if that is his message, then what a wonderful and long overdue moment. The Church desperately needs a pastor right now, and I pray he's a good one.

CNN is reporting the Vatican confirmed Pope Francis chose his name because of St. Francis of Assisi. I think he is going to be a good step in the right direction. The fact the College of Cardinals elected someone who is not from Europe is HUGE. I'm excited for this new era! (yes, I'm a big Catholic geek.)

I love that he's a Franciscian, but I think that taking a vow of poverty means very little when you're never in actual danger of bring poor.

Actually he's a Jesuit. But in taking the name Francis I hope it means he has a Franciscan heart. He didn't live in the official bishop's house in Argentina, he took public transportation or rode his bike to where he needed to go, and he cooks his own meals. He reminds me a lot of Oscar Romero. And although he's from Argentina both his parents were from Italy. I do feel hopeful that he will be an improvement over Ratzinger.

I've never heard of him, but a crazy trad Catholic friend on Facebook posted an omg we are dooooomed status because apparently the new Francis I is a "modernist" as well as very ecumenical. The horrors.

So I was taking that as a positive sign.

Then why don't you shut the hell up?

Bwah! Seriously, why doesn't Abigail write "I heart Pope Francis!!!!" on her Trapper Keeper like he's Justin Bieber and get it over with?

I just posted this on my Facebook page:

"Well, I didn't get that job at the Vatican."

What I'm hearing on the radio here is that while he believes homosexuality to be against god, he says gay people must be afforded respect. He apparently visited some aids patients in hospital in the 90s and washed their feet. He also condones contraception in the prevention of the spread of HIV but not to prevent conception.

See, I can somewhat respect that. I doubt we'd ever would see Pope Palpatine at least do that.

At this point, I don't think the Catholic Church will ever get someone who fully accepts gay rights. I hope Franny though isn't much of an arse to women as Pope Emperor was with banning those nuns, just because they supported things that the Church itself didn't.

As for Franny himself......he already seems a lot more personable than Benny ever was, though I was actually pulling for the one from Africa.

No no no you can't have anyone with any part of their name being Peter, otherwise it's the end of the world (see Malachy, St, prophecies of).

Waiting with bated breath to see whether Annamatrix reckons having Italian-born parents makes one "Roman"...

(I know, I said I was leaving. But it didn't work.)

Actually he's a Jesuit. But in taking the name Francis I hope it means he has a Franciscan heart. He didn't live in the official bishop's house in Argentina, he took public transportation or rode his bike to where he needed to go, and he cooks his own meals. He reminds me a lot of Oscar Romero. And although he's from Argentina both his parents were from Italy. I do feel hopeful that he will be an improvement over Ratzinger.

I guess we'll see what happens once he puts on the fancy hat and the ruby slippers.

I've never heard of him, but a crazy trad Catholic friend on Facebook posted an omg we are dooooomed status because apparently the new Francis I is a "modernist" as well as very ecumenical. The horrors.

So I was taking that as a positive sign.

I usually avoid the Fisheaters forum because it just makes me doubt people's sanity too much but I couldn't resist - and yes, all the trads are decrying it as the end. There's been particular uproar about the fact he participated in multi-faith gatherings. And a modernist! A Jesuit! The horror!

catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3457667.0.html

catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3457671.0.html

This?

[attachment=0]dougal.jpg[/attachment]

:lol:

Irishy I just want you to know that I am holding you totally responsible for this new Pope. If Frankie does not cut it. I'm blaming you. You promised me Dougal!

I am putting you on ignore. First you have not rid Ireland of Sarah'sFart'sDesire. Now this :naughty:

I usually avoid the Fisheaters forum because it just makes me doubt people's sanity too much but I couldn't resist - and yes, all the trads are decrying it as the end. There's been particular uproar about the fact he participated in multi-faith gatherings. And a modernist! A Jesuit! The horror!

A jesuit who is hated by the Jesuits no less. Yes, he's looking good.

I don't except overnight renewal of the church, but I hope he can make some kind of change. Jesuits are supposed to be intellectual and diplomatic, and I like his emphasis on social justice, plus if he's trying to model himself on Francis of Assisi that can only be a good thing.

:lol:

Irishy I just want you to know that I am holding you totally responsible for this new Pope. If Frankie does not cut it. I'm blaming you. You promised me Dougal!

I am putting you on ignore. First you have not rid Ireland of Sarah'sFart'sDesire. Now this :naughty:

Lookit, we campaigned hard. Dougal just did not have the persona. I tried. Am still trying to track crazy Sarah down. I have the county. Just need to use google maps to find some starving dying in childbirth cattle.

Lookit, we campaigned hard. Dougal just did not have the persona. I tried. Am still trying to track crazy Sarah down. I have the county. Just need to use google maps to find some starving dying in childbirth cattle.

Sorry did anybody hear something there? I've the mad Irish on ignore :P

Field trip to find The biggest Zsu fan. With plenty of alcohol that could be the funniest road trip ever :lol:

I went to a Jesuit college, and I had a really positive experience. They also have a history of being progressive/reformers - the order has been excommunicated at least once. I also really like Francis of Assisi. Hopefully he will stay focused on social justice and we'll have a step in the right direction.

From a 2011 article in the Guardian UK:

What one did not hear from any senior member of the Argentine hierarchy was any expression of regret for the church's collaboration and in these crimes [i.e., extra-judicial killings]. The extent of the church's complicity in the dark deeds was excellently set out by Horacio Verbitsky, one of Argentina's most notable journalists, in his book El Silencio (Silence). He recounts how the Argentine navy with the connivance of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, now the Jesuit archbishop of Buenos Aires, hid from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission the dictatorship's political prisoners. Bergoglio was hiding them in nothing less than his holiday home in an island called El Silencio in the River Plate. The most shaming thing for the church is that in such circumstances Bergoglio's name was allowed to go forward in the ballot to chose the successor of John Paul II. What scandal would not have ensued if the first pope ever to be elected from the continent of America had been revealed as an accessory to murder and false imprisonment.

The one person born in Argentina whom I online-know is in horror over this choice.

Catholic Churches are so fancy & quiet. When I was 21 I almost converted because I found out mass is only a hour. I grew up Baptist and they will seriously hold you hostage in church for almost 3 hours. :roll:

Catholic Churches are so fancy & quiet. When I was 21 I almost converted because I found out mass is only a hour. I grew up Baptist and they will seriously hold you hostage in church for almost 3 hours. :roll:

Ouch! I didn't realize Baptist services were that long. We had a Catholic church near my college that everyone called the "Drive-Through Church" because the masses were 40 minutes, max. The priests gave very short homilies (sermons) and there was little music. I was a little disappointed though when I went there for Easter one year and it was business as usual, though. That is my favorite holiday, church-wise, because of all the pomp and circumstance. (I don't care how annoyed I am with the Vatican... I will *always* go to Easter Vigil mass at a Catholic church! [Easter Vigil is the Saturday night before Easter.])

Archived