IGNORED

OMG! LiaS daughter has a job!

Drunkenbutterfly

From her blog:

deannasblog.com

I got a job at Dairy Queen.

Wow! While I speculated about Tyler being more laid back (judged from his taste of music on FB), this is beyond my wildest dreams.

Good for her!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I wonder if that means they are using BC? If they were trying to get her knocked up right away, she probably wouldn't bother starting a job, right?

She loves P.G. Wodehouse! I'm behind her. Enjoy life, Deanna!

Of course, she says her dad - Perry the baby fumbler - loves Plum, too. Well, there's some redeeming qualities to everybody, eh? :|

I saw her blog for the first time last week and felt so bad for her being trapped in that little apartment with not much to do. I'm glad for her that she can not be a carbon copy of her mom!

I do hope that she and Tyler can continue their youthful fun stuff cause I know that making friends outside the restrictive world I grew up in was how I was able to begin to move out of super fundiedom. And I would so love to know that offspring of that creepy duo are able to escape that mindset.

It's a hopeful sign that Tyler, as headship, doesn't seem to be into the same level of control as so many other young VF affiliated boy-husbands.

Interesting. I wonder if that means they are using BC? If they were trying to get her knocked up right away, she probably wouldn't bother starting a job, right?

Hmm, IDK. It's not like running the Blizzard machine requires any particular investment of time and training, and I'm sure they're used to high turnover. If she got pregnant in the next couple of months, she could easily quit before the baby was born. I do hope they're not planning on popping them out right away, though.

When Deanna and Tyler first got married, I was pretty optimistic about their relationship. They seemed to know each other pretty well and I thought they looked happy together, if a little awkward. Now I'm wondering if they really are just as badly suited as any other fundie couple because they were never really shown how a healthy romantic relationship was supposed to work. Deanna is supposed to submit, but she really seems more like the dominant one in the marriage, while Tyler seems to want to just go to school and play video games. I hope they find something that works for them instead of trying to fold themselves into the VF box in a way that doesn't suit either one of them.

I'll be shocked if they make it more than 2-5 years without going full atheist or making some other large fuck you gesture.

I think they were engaging in premarital sweet fellowship any way and that's why the rushed $50 backyard marriage.

I'll be shocked if they make it more than 2-5 years without going full atheist or making some other large fuck you gesture.

One can only dream. But really, for as wacky as their family is, I have high hopes for the LiaS daughters. They don't seem as hopelessly brainwashed as a lot of fundie daughters. Time will tell...

Congrats Deanna! I hope that they continue on in this vein, making their own decisions, etc.

All the best to Deanna. I wish the Duggar daughters had a truly employed older sister to look up to.

I'd bet a couple of Blizzards that she's wearing pants to work, too!!

I think the LiaS kids got a much better SOTDRT education that many other Quiverfull families. Well, except for the science stuff.

I think the LiaS kids got a much better SOTDRT education that many other Quiverfull families. Well, except for the science stuff.

Any SOTDRT education the Coghlan kids get is in spite of their mother, since she's been rather open about how she doesn't teach much, she lets them self direct and self learn. Fortunately, her kids seem to be rather curious and creative.

They do seem more open to Worldly Entertainment than most fundie families, which is hopeful in my book.

Oh yeah Deanna, she's just great. :roll: I wish I'd screencapped the facebook conversation she had with her grandfather prior to her wedding about not registering at Target because they support gay marriage. Some pretty choice hate speech was being thrown around.

Let me reiterate: This family is full of the worst kind of hateful, small-minded bigots. I fail to see how their music choices or a job at the DQ is going to change that.

Frumpers or no, their ideology, theology, and general attitude just sucks.

I don't know anything about this group. How old is Deanna? She's married? She sounds so young and those crests seem so juvenile.

Also, there's a pic of her showing midriff! How very unfundy!

Oh yeah Deanna, she's just great. :roll: I wish I'd screencapped the facebook conversation she had with her grandfather prior to her wedding about not registering at Target because they support gay marriage. Some pretty choice hate speech was being thrown around.

Let me reiterate: This family is full of the worst kind of hateful, small-minded bigots. I fail to see how their music choices or a job at the DQ is going to change that.

Frumpers or no, their ideology, theology, and general attitude just sucks.

While their music choices probably won't change their attitude, I think working outside the home may expose her to different ideas. It's a first step. Leaving fundie-dom is never easy. You can't expect her to change her mind overnight. However, if she meets people that doesn't jive with what she's been taught, it may start her on the path to something different. It may not make her support gay rights, but it may force her to start questioning her beliefs.

Here's one thing I've noticed about Deanna: she goes to church and homeschooling events, but she doesn't talk about God much.

She says: I got a job at Dairy Queen

instead of

The Lord laid it on my heart to go to Dairy Queen and fill out an application

She says: Tyler and I had delicious BBQ

instead of

God blessed us with delicious barbeque

This alone is hopeful.

I don't know anything about this group. How old is Deanna? She's married? She sounds so young and those crests seem so juvenile.

Also, there's a pic of her showing midriff! How very unfundy!

She was 19 this past summer when she got married, so turning 20 soonish if she hasn't already.

While their music choices probably won't change their attitude, I think working outside the home may expose her to different ideas. It's a first step. Leaving fundie-dom is never easy. You can't expect her to change her mind overnight. However, if she meets people that doesn't jive with what she's been taught, it may start her on the path to something different. It may not make her support gay rights, but it may force her to start questioning her beliefs.

This. I wasn't raised a fundie, but I had some definite black and white opinions and leaving home broadened my viewpoint so I could see the grey in life. To fundies, the answers to everything are very simple, when in fact, the world is much more complex.

A 19 year old who has never been to school, never personally known or had a relationship with someone with a differing worldview, can't be faulted for parroting the party line imo. She can't help how she was raised. Now that she is out from under the parents' thumb, she has a job outside the home. Big no-no to her parents, so she has already questioned parts of her parents's ideology and found it lacking. Change is a process. This job may expose her to all kinds of people with differing worldviews and hopefully her interaction with them will impact her in a positive way.

There was speculation on another thread that due to her husband being a cancer survivor, he may be infertile.

This. I wasn't raised a fundie, but I had some definite black and white opinions and leaving home broadened my viewpoint so I could see the grey in life. To fundies, the answers to everything are very simple, when in fact, the world is much more complex.

A 19 year old who has never been to school, never personally known or had a relationship with someone with a differing worldview, can't be faulted for parroting the party line imo. She can't help how she was raised. Now that she is out from under the parents' thumb, she has a job outside the home. Big no-no to her parents, so she has already questioned parts of her parents's ideology and found it lacking. Change is a process. This job may expose her to all kinds of people with differing worldviews and hopefully her interaction with them will impact her in a positive way.

Well, here's to hoping you're right. It may well be noted that Kim, her mother, also worked when she was a young married woman without children, so this isn't entirely out of the ordinary for the family. Kim and Perry don't exactly isolate their children from society at large, which is why I find Deanna's views so appalling.

Like I said, I hope you're both right. I do come from an isolated, fundamentalist background, so I have a good idea of how difficult it can be to divest yourself of that kind of thinking.

Here's one thing I've noticed about Deanna: she goes to church and homeschooling events, but she doesn't talk about God much.

She says: I got a job at Dairy Queen

instead of

The Lord laid it on my heart to go to Dairy Queen and fill out an application

She says: Tyler and I had delicious BBQ

instead of

God blessed us with delicious barbeque

This alone is hopeful.

That's how I talk too, and I'm a Christian who talks about God.

I guess I meant that she is not constantly bringing God into every little thing. Mama Alexander once wrote about how when she submitted to her husband, God rewarded her by putting pumpkins on sale!

I guess I meant that she is not constantly bringing God into every little thing. Mama Alexander once wrote about how when she submitted to her husband, God rewarded her by putting pumpkins on sale!

And of course, god has also been responsible for putting hot dog buns on sale, providing a thanksgiving turkey for a family who could already afford one for themselves, finding a convenient parking space, and finding a dress that's appropriately modest at a thrift shop :doh:

Archived