IGNORED

Republican Politician Wants To Criminalize Nip Slips

doggie

On the bright side, it can be good for curing your own body hang-ups. After one summer by a German lakeside, I'm not bothered about my body any more. It was... anatomically educational. :D

edited to add: I was a teenager with loads of hang-ups, and it was actually quite good for me to see so many different body-shapes and sizes, old and young, mostly naked. It made me realize that no one's perfect, we all age, and that there is no standard. And it taught me a lot about anatomy.

I totally agree.I find it brilliant that I can sit there and a 70 odd yr old couple quite un-self consciously walk by. Post pregnant bellies and stretch marks. Big boobs, wee boobs. It is liberating to see people being so comfortable. The Speedos though :lol:

So would this make breastfeeding in public illegal?

Sure sounds like it! This legislator should go eat her lunch in a room where people are defecating a few feet away.

For mothers of older (older than 2, my daughter's age) children, when/how do you start caring about being "immodest" in front of your children? I sometimes take baths with my daughter (especially in hotel rooms/strange places), and I don't think twice about changing in front of her. But I don't remember ever seeing my mom naked/half-naked. Am I going to traumatize her if I don't stop within a year or so?

My five and six-year-old sons still see me and my husband naked on occasion. Sometimes they want to talk while I'm in the tub or just have to use the bathroom while one of us is showering. I highly doubt they'll be scarred.

I saw my mum naked periodically throughout my childhood. Also saw all my sisters. I was never scarred - if anything I had a healthy view of the range of possible body types within my own family.

My one caution would be to let her draw boundaries if she wants more privacy. If she's not comfortable being seen, then make sure you wait for her to leave before stripping down. If she walks in on you, don't freak out, but let her regulate her level of comfort with your nudity.

For mothers of older (older than 2, my daughter's age) children, when/how do you start caring about being "immodest" in front of your children? I sometimes take baths with my daughter (especially in hotel rooms/strange places), and I don't think twice about changing in front of her. But I don't remember ever seeing my mom naked/half-naked. Am I going to traumatize her if I don't stop within a year or so?

I'm not a mother, but I grew up with very "non-shy" parents and I have a rather relaxed attitude to nakedness myself today, definitely no trauma here, but as a pre-teen/young teen it really annoyed me that my parents expected me to be as ok with changing into bathing-suit at the beach and other public "displays" of nudity as they were.

I think the important thing is to not make a big deal of it, but at the same time be aware and respectful that young people might be more shy in the developing years than those of us who has had a little longer to get comfortable in our own skin.

Just a few weeks ago my friend and I went to a public pool (this is liberal Scandinavia no private changing stalls) and afterwards we talked about how everyone should go once in a while just to get an appreciation of how different bodies really are and how good it is to see so many different shapes, ages and sizes just enjoying the water and the exercise.

I totally agree.I find it brilliant that I can sit there and a 70 odd yr old couple quite un-self consciously walk by. Post pregnant bellies and stretch marks. Big boobs, wee boobs. It is liberating to see people being so comfortable. The Speedos though :lol:

At least you have absolutely no illusions about...oh, sod this positive thing. Speedos are of the devil, and I'd rather everyone just walked about naked. Nudity, I can ignore, brightly coloured Speedos, only serve as an excuse for another sangria for me, because I was totally staring at the waiter and not at that man's crotch. :oops: :lol:

I have both a tween & almost a tween boys and I never made a big deal out of it with them & they so far don't seem scarred for life. They have told me that they don't want me walking in on them when they are changing so if their door is closed and I need to get in (give them something, put away clothes, etc) I knock & wait for them to answer and say I can come in. If they have a question in the morning when I'm getting changed they knock, I let them know that I'm getting dressed and they know they have the choice to wait until I'm done, ask the question through the door or just come in. I'm not doing anything to be ashamed of so it doesn't bother me.

At about 5ish one of them told me he doesn't really want me in the bathroom when he was taking a bath. I introduced them to the wonders of taking a shower and we never went back.

tl/dr It's only as big a deal as you make it out to be.

Of all the shit in the world to worry about.....no wonder they lost! Republicans can't get out their own way.

I'm ashamed to even know some right now. :oops:

Hey Both parties, get off your freakin' asses and actually help the people; the economy, housing, starvation, injustice, inequality......quit worrying about TITS for a minute :obscene-birdiered:

We aren't all crazy in NC, I promise, but obviously there is a large amount of fundies here.

Another non-crazy North Carolinian here. This stuff really bothers me. We used to be such a relatively progressive state, or at least the most progressive in the South. Now it's like the Republicans are trying to make up for 150 years of powerlessness, and are in a race backwards trying to "catch up" with the rest of the region :( My only hope if that the true fiscal conservatives out there are just as pissed at the General Assembly as the liberals, and the current bunch stand no chance of re-election.

OT, but MajorMajor, your avatar is a poster from Another Mother for Peace, which was co-founded by that famous TV mom Donna Reed. You may have known that, but I think it's really cool.

So I take it cold days will also become illegal?

If it gets cold around here, it becomes immediately obvious that I am the owner of a pair of female nipples...

So I take it cold days will also become illegal?

If it gets cold around here, it becomes immediately obvious that I am the owner of a pair of female nipples...

band-aids are your friend :D

My mom never did with me. She still changes in front of me to this day. With my brothers, she waited until they were teenagers, 'cause they're boys and she figures it'd make them uncomfortable once they were teens. My younger siblings all saw me naked until I was 16 or so. It's not an issue if you don't make it one. Even if my family wasn't the kind that leaves all the doors open, I went to public pools/gyms my whole life. Seeing naked people was normal.

ETA naturally, there was no trauma. And I took baths with my mom until I was too big for both of us to fit in there comfortably.

Can I request that, if this bill is passed, all freejingerites who live in NC immediately sue the government for sexual discrimination? I would love to see the government defend why womens nipples need to be hidden but mens don't. I've seen women who have no boobs and I've seen men with massive boobs so size can't be the issue. There is an excemption for breastfeeding so that is not the issue. The nipples of both sexes stand up when cold or sexually aroused so that can't be it.

Oh please, please, please take it to court. I just want to see guys in suits and wigs discussing the differences between male and female anatomy! :lol:

We had a law proposed in the SC House back in the late 90s which would not only have made areolae off-limits, but would have outlawed toddler boys taking a leak in their backyards and boys and men being seen with their private parts "in a noticeably turgid state". It basically would have outlawed teenage boys from walking on the public sidewalk. The damn law almost passed in the House. Fortunately, nothing like it was ever considered in the Senate.

Can I request that, if this bill is passed, all freejingerites who live in NC immediately sue the government for sexual discrimination? I would love to see the government defend why womens nipples need to be hidden but mens don't. I've seen women who have no boobs and I've seen men with massive boobs so size can't be the issue. There is an excemption for breastfeeding so that is not the issue. The nipples of both sexes stand up when cold or sexually aroused so that can't be it.

Oh please, please, please take it to court. I just want to see guys in suits and wigs discussing the differences between male and female anatomy! :lol:

I second this request. It's bullshit that a dude with bigger boobs than mine doesn't have to cover up. (Not that I have to cover mine, because I live in Ontario :)). They'll try to argue that when people with penises grow boobs, it's fat and not mammary glands. This is a weak, weak argument that any testifying biologist would tear to shreds. Which I would pay good money to see.

Archived