IGNORED

Is a world without women what fundies want?

YPestis

Yes, but such a world will never be sustainable. Never. Just like Taliban society is not sustainable. Even Saudi Arabia is willing to make some concessions to educated women in the workplace.

Agreed. But fundies don't care about sustainability, wether it's to do with how society is structured or global warming or overpopulation or anything else. All they care about is doing whatever it is they think they need to do right now to attain heaven. And if they believe that it pleases God that their women are invisible outside their homes, that's what they're going to work towards. Of course no society can function long-term with uneducated and unhealthy females, but fundies today really don't give two toots about what the world is going to look like in 100 years. In their minds they'll already be in heaven. It's one of the many, many reasons fundies and fanatics of all religious stripes are so dangerous. :cry:

Agreed. But fundies don't care about sustainability, wether it's to do with how society is structured or global warming or overpopulation or anything else. All they care about is doing whatever it is they think they need to do right now to attain heaven. And if they believe that it pleases God that their women are invisible outside their homes, that's what they're going to work towards. Of course no society can function long-term with uneducated and unhealthy females, but fundies today really don't give two toots about what the world is going to look like in 100 years. In their minds they'll already be in heaven. It's one of the many, many reasons fundies and fanatics of all religious stripes are so dangerous. :cry:

Don't they also believe we're living in End Times?

In their minds any time is a good time for the end of time. ;)

In their minds any time is a good time for the end of time. ;)

It's a good question, and Kitty is right that in some countries, it is also current reality instead of a frightening vision of the future.

Health care: See a woman (qualified doctor if you are lucky, unlicensed midwife if you are not)

Clothes shopping: Order online, or go to a woman-only shop run out of the woman's home.

Bank: do it online or at a machine or get your husband to do it instead.

Teachers: Do girls really need to be educated?

Household help: Hire a servant, who will not be considered as someone who really matters. [i know someone whose daughter was working in Saudi Arabia until she got pregnant.][/quote]

What was it like for to be working in Saudi Arabia? From what I understand, those who are wealthy will import domestic workers to be maids, nannies, chauffeurs, etc. and there are also companies that bring in people to work there. Do you know what her experiences were over there? I would really appreciate it.

I think if you confronted a very hard-core fundy with it, they might explain that this is why they're encouraging the practice of home-everything. Home school, home birth, at-home healthcare. They'd probably be ok with women helping each other with births on a volunteer basis as long as it didn't require that they get a formal education. Maybe they'd want to eliminate the need for nurses by making it so that doctors visit people at their homes like in the old days. Essentially, women would continue to do "female" jobs, but unpaid and mostly for their own family.

I think there's a category of fundies that think it's ok for women to work in "feminine" jobs, but only while waiting for God to send them a husband. In their perfect world, women needing gynecological care would receive it, but always from a nurse and never from a doctor. Which is better than the first scenario, but would still result in women receiving insufficient care.

My problem is that many of these misogynist policies are being advocated by women and I don't think these women would enjoy a world filled with men. As I stated in the OP, would these female fundies appreciate that every place they enter, they have to deal with men? Even the Maxwells expect their girls to be out and about running errands. Would they be comfortable letting their single daughters interact with only men, and without a male to chaperone them?

You do bring up an interesting prospect. In Saudi Arabia (the closest we have to a male-only society currently), men actually do much of the grocery shopping because of the restrictions to women's movements.

In a theoretical world where women are restricted to home, would husbands be ok with doing the bulk of the grocery shopping? Buying clothes? Shopping for decorations? Shoe shopping?!! That's what happens in Saudi Arabia where women are suppose to have a male chaperone. You get men involved in womenly affairs. The fact is, most fundie men try to shy away from "women's work". However, if women are truly pushed away from the workplace, the men may end up shouldering more of the "women's work" if only to satisfy their concept of modesty (no dealing with strange men). Homeschooling, homebirthing are fine, but even fundie women have to leave the home for errands and groceries. I can't imagine fundie men happy with having to take over those chores.

Just a note on your nursing comment. I understand what you are saying but if there are no trained nurses around, a doctor making house calls is simply a doctor's visit without a nurse. Nursing is not something one can expect a mother or wife to do with a doctor's instruction. Modern nurses don't just wipe butts and clean up vomit. They monitor the patient's vitals and can perform / assist in procedures. They know patient protocols for emergency situations and have basic understanding of the human body. In the hospital, I trust my nurses to provide me vital patient information that no layman can be expected to know or observe. Fundies who think nurses can be replaced by their barely educated daughters and mothers are deluding themselves. However, I doubt fundies would care given their distrust of the medical profession in general.

If the expert-on-everything, Kelly @ GC, is to be trusted, then it's actually feminists who want a world without women:

"Though feminism has been touted as “all about protecting womenâ€, feminism has killed more women than the holocaust and all other wars put together."

Trufax. Moreover, up is green, and left is potato.

If the expert-on-everything, Kelly @ GC, is to be trusted, then it's actually feminists who want a world without women:

Trufax. Moreover, up is green, and left is potato.

Burris! I missed you!

Late to the party here,but I think their problem is this:

Most of them, I'd say, are so misogynist towards women because they can't/won't grasp the fact that society is progressing along to where more women are out there working and some are the only breadwinners in their household, more single women are out there(both mothers and childless), more states are legalizing gay marriage and the fact that white men no longer rule the land as they once did.

They want a society like Leave it to Beaver or even further back, the Victorian Age. I think some people down South, especially in Duggar Country, would be more than happy to turn back the clock to the Era of the Civil War...

Archived