IGNORED

9-year old girl sterilised after giving birth

Vex

Honestly, if it were a birth control implant, I would not be up in arms against the doctors. I suspect they are NOT trying to excuse this child's rapist, but in an area where there is little to no social services to intervene and the only way she will be removed from the custody of her family is when or if SHE runs away, the doctors may have felt the best chance they could give her was to guarantee that she wouldn't have anymore babies so young that would take any chance she had of escape away from her.

Just like Patriarchy has figured out, the more babies a woman has to tie her to her servitude and abuse, the harder it is for her to escape. Abuse victims often have to leave their children behind in the abuse if they have any chance of escaping, and then fighting to get those children out and safe after they leave.

Everytime the Fundamentalists scream that Feminism is hurting women, I think of the women around this world who desperately NEED Feminism and the Human Rights battles that are born in Feminism. Very few Fundamentalists would consider this horrific crime against a child acceptable. Yet, they cannot see that their lifestyle would leave a girl in this abuse stuck with no escape, and it is only those who fight for rights and equality for ALL that make lasting, societal changes and global standards to stand and spit abuses exactly like this.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The police have said it's rape and that they're looking for a 17 year old male who fled Mexico. I don't think thay're trying to cover it up.

I'm not saying that they are. I'm saying that they only seem to be searching for this young man because she had a child. If she hadn't have had a child, would she have continued "dating" this 17 year old? If she "dated" another much older man in the future, would he be accused of rape, seeing and there is no child to "prove" that it is happening? This is what I'm concerned about.

I really hope that this wasn't in the minds of the doctors when they performed the operation, but it could cause her to continue to be exploited.

^^"Just like Patriarchy has figured out, the more babies a woman has to tie her to her servitude and abuse, the harder it is for her to escape. Abuse victims often have to leave their children behind in the abuse if they have any chance of escaping, and then fighting to get those children out and safe after they leave."

That was the only way my mother could get out. She came back for us a month later. She saved our lives and broke the cycle of abuse.

Well, you guys have said it already, but - it's almost too horrible to imagine. Not only has she lost the ability to reproduce in the future, but this will probably have consequences for her maturation. Absolutely disgusting. I hope that doctor loses the ability to practice and is prosecuted, though I doubt it will happen. And that the girl is able to be rescued. Somehow.

I'm not saying that they are. I'm saying that they only seem to be searching for this young man because she had a child. If she hadn't have had a child, would she have continued "dating" this 17 year old? If she "dated" another much older man in the future, would he be accused of rape, seeing and there is no child to "prove" that it is happening? This is what I'm concerned about.

I really hope that this wasn't in the minds of the doctors when they performed the operation, but it could cause her to continue to be exploited.

Her pregnancy was the first evidence of rape(she didn't know she was pregnant until she was 7 months along) the police had. Her parent didn't know or care that she was ''dating'' a 17 year old, how could the authorities have known about the "relationship".

I can't believe that this is the kind of "legal system" regarding abortions that anti-choicers want for Ametica. They can fuck themselves with a lego.

This article has a lot more details. I hate to say it, but this girl might have been better off being born a Duggar.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2KNbP9n6r

I'm certain that you intended humour in that statement but, please. A nine year old child who from all appearances has known nothing but extreme poverty and abuse since birth culminating in pregnancy and childbirth at 9 years of age? Yes, she would be better off in the Duggar home - she would give her life to be in any home in America. And many Mexicans do each and every day.

Actually, they do sometimes sterilize the rapists. Sharia law calls for castration if a rape is proven. However, to PROVE rape requires two men to testify and admit it was rape. The US law has an option for chemical castration. Rape is not about sex but power and control, men who are castrated either physially or chemically can still victimize and often do. Castration's ability to stop their preying has more to do with the stigma and the ability to block access to victims than stopping his desire to rape.

I'm certain that you intended humour in that statement but, please. A nine year old child who from all appearances has known nothing but extreme poverty and abuse since birth culminating in pregnancy and childbirth at 9 years of age? Yes, she would be better off in the Duggar home - she would give her life to be in any home in America. And many Mexicans do each and every day.

I understand the point you are trying to make. I completely agree that she obviously would be much, much better off in 99.9% of American homes, but this kind of horrific abuse exists in the U.S. as well. The main thing that is making this so newsworthy is because she was 9, and it is extremely unusual for a young girl to be able to conceive and deliver at that young age. If she was 11 or 12 it might make the local news, but that's it. There are families in the U.S., where the parents prostitute out their very young daughters and/or use them as literal house slaves subjected to the abuse of whatever new man or men happen to be around.

This is nothing like the jslave's we snark on. This is five year olds watching their 3 younger siblings and burning themselves cooking the last packet of ramen on a stove they can't reach while their mother is out turning tricks for crack and then being molested by the crack dealer.

There are more protections and services in the U.S., but I don't think it is reasonable to present it as any home in the U.S. would be better, and obviously the vast majority of households in Mexico would be better for this little girl as well.

The medical abuse of these doctors who reportedly sterilized this poor little girl is horrific, and they should be thrown in jail if true.

I agree with your sentiment that the Duggar's definitely have their flaws, but to say they are only marginally better than the truly horrific abusers that are invisible in society minimizes the suffering of these children.

not that it makes it ok but this is interesting.

9-Year-Old Pregnant Girl Might Really Be 15 or Older

The media has focused much attention on the supposed pregnancy of a 9-year-old Mexican girl, but reports now indicate that the girl could actually be 15 years old or older.

Sources indicate that it was “highly likely†that Dafne was not the age her mother said she was when she went to the hospital to give birth.

Antonio Munoz Serrano, the health commissioner for the state of Jarisco, said the girl did not seem 9. “The medical characteristics of this child do not correspond to those of a nine-year-old girl.â€

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/ ... -or-older#

Or, she could have suffered early onset puberty which would make her bones, reproductive system and her development look like a 15 year old.

The only person this makes a real different for is the boyfriend. If she was 15, then he should NOT be pursue for having sex with a girl 2 years younger than him. If she was 9, then yeah he's got a serious problem. Stepdad and mom are still totally vile for their behaviors.

I can't imagine why the mother would lie and present her as younger, that would be beyond crazy.

And obviously the girl doesn't have the typical body of a 9 year old, typical 9 year olds haven't gone through puberty at least 9 months before.

Has anyone thought to ask this poor girl ANYTHING about herself, or what she wants or thinks or even her age ????

her mother is a crack head hooker. chances are she does not even know her daughters age :(

for sure. But I doubt a doctor could not tell the difference between a 9 year old and a 15 year old.

I cannot believe that this girl and her child are being sent back to the home of her rapist and the mother who failed to protect her.

If she's 15, help her find safe accommodation. If she's nine, help her find a home and a family. If that can't be done in Mexico, look out of the country.

The fact that sterilisation was the best protection that anyone could come up with for this girl is horrendous.

I hope that she is not 9, because a 9 year old having a baby is just awful.

Nomatter what age she was, if she was raped, its awful and I hope the rapist is prosecuted.

What a terrible situation to be in.

I cannot believe that this girl and her child are being sent back to the home of her rapist and the mother who failed to protect her.

If she's 15, help her find safe accommodation. If she's nine, help her find a home and a family. If that can't be done in Mexico, look out of the country.

The fact that sterilisation was the best protection that anyone could come up with for this girl is horrendous.

Where are all of our fundie "missionaries?" Why arent they jumping in to offer this child and HER child a safe place to learn about jesus and turn from her sinful ways live in safety.

Where are all of our fundie "missionaries?" Why arent they jumping in to offer this child and HER child a safe place to learn about jesus and turn from her sinful ways live in safety.

Cause she'll defraud their sons, obviously. Jesus may forgive, but his followers aren't so good at it.

All the Spanish stories on Mexican news sites that I can find say she received a norplant type implant and the mother consented to the placement of that implant.

mexico.cnn.com/nacional/2013/02/07/autoridades-de-jalisco-indagan-caso-de-una-nina-de-9-anos-que-tuvo-un-hijo

"After the child gave birth and the mother consented, the doctors placed a implanted contraceptive device (that is regularly placed in the skin under the arm)"

latribuna.hn/2013/02/08/desaparece-nina-de-9-anos-que-dio-a-luz-en-mexico-ponen-en-duda-su-edad/

This one says while they are pursing it as if the girl were really 9, authorities including the doctors who delivered the baby believe she may be older both because her birth certificate was only filed for her last year and she appears she could be as old as 15.

This matters, because the age of consent in Jalisco state for females is 12.

criteriohidalgo.com/notas.asp?id=147579

This story has a supposed photo of the child and her baby that has been posted on Mexican social media sites.

I think she probably is closer to 14 especially if that photo really is of her, but the rapist who did this is still a sick fuck that needs to be permanently kept out of normal society.

This girl needs a home where she can be safe, not returned to where the abuse most likely took place regardless of her age.

All of these stories say the baby is a girl. How long before the newborn is a victim of abuse as well? :(

Hard to tell how old she is from the photo , assuming it's even real.

So the pregnant 9 year old who was sterilized by the dr. is now possible a young teen who got a norplant??

It's starting to sound like one of the over the top fb posts that make the rounds, or the national enquirer.

I know in my area sometimes social services has big culture clashes with some of the indigenous people who come up - especially around age of consent and what is considered acceptable sexual behavior for minors. We had a news story a couple years ago about some 12 year old girl who was being "sold" for alcohol and a cow - but what it turned out to be was a marriage ( obviously not legal here) and the alcohol and cow was for the reception. Language difficulties are part of it - as the people don't speak either English or Spanish and a lot gets lost in translation.

criteriohidalgo.com/notas.asp?id=147579

This story has a supposed photo of the child and her baby that has been posted on Mexican social media sites.

This is the description that the neighbor gave of the girl: "A woman who lives next door, in her early 20s, said that Dafne was about 4ft tall, which is big for her age, with a light complexion and long blonde hair which goes past her shoulders." It comes from the article posted at the beginning of this thread. Here's the link to that article again. http://tinyurl.com/coqpxaq

If the above description is correct, then the pic can't be of the girl (unless she dyed her hair). Even though her face is blurred, it's quite clear that she has black/dark brown hair, not blonde.

This is the description that the neighbor gave of the girl: "A woman who lives next door, in her early 20s, said that Dafne was about 4ft tall, which is big for her age, with a light complexion and long blonde hair which goes past her shoulders." It comes from the article posted at the beginning of this thread. Here's the link to that article again. http://tinyurl.com/coqpxaq

If the above description is correct, then the pic can't be of the girl (unless she dyed her hair). Even though her face is blurred, it's quite clear that she has black/dark brown hair, not blonde.

Obviously one of them is wrong.

Taking into consideration the location and the appearance of the mother in all of the photos, the way she looks in the photo seems more likely than the child being a little blond girl. I haven't found a single original Spanish story that says she was a blond.

I think it's quite likely there are translation issues if not intentional sensationalism in the first story.

Archived