IGNORED

9-year old girl sterilised after giving birth

Vex

Obviously one of them is wrong.

Taking into consideration the location and the appearance of the mother in all of the photos, the way she looks in the photo seems more likely than the child being a little blond girl. I haven't found a single original Spanish story that says she was a blond.

I think it's quite likely there are translation issues if not intentional sensationalism in the first story.

I agree, someone is wrong about the description of the girl.

If it were another language, I can see a misinterpretation. However, we have a very large Latino presence in the US and many are fluent in both English and Spanish. Granted, the higher concentrations of these people tend to be in the states closest to Mexico. Regardless, I don't think it would be that hard to find someone fluent in both languages that could accurately translate.

I also wanted to point out that just because the girl is Latino doesn't mean that she cannot be blonde. Sofia Vergara is a natural blonde and she's Latino, although she's from Columbia. :)

On another note, has anyone seen any details about the sterilization that the girl went through? The article that I read from the Daily Mail says that the girl was sterilized without the mother's consent, but it's a one-liner at the top of the article and the only place within the article that I saw it mentioned was as a caption for a picture of the hospital. The caption states that the hospital reported the crime to authorities and the mother reacted by claiming the hospital sterilized her daughter without her consent. I haven't seen anything about what was done.

I don't speak or read Spanish, so I'm only able to read the articles that are printed in English. I got the impression from earlier posts that the girl had a hysterectomy and not a tubal ligation (which can be reversible in some cases) or long-term birth control. Again, I haven't read any articles that give any details as to the girl's sterilization. Maybe they were covered in an article written in Spanish?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the Spanish articles that I have found all say implantable birth control, and several even specify it was the in the arm type and not an IUD.

The same description in the original Daily Fail article also said she was 4ft which is large for a 9 year old. It's not, even for Mexico and a followup article said the age of consent in Jalisco is 14, when it's 12.

That author clearly has fact checking issues so I would take everything in that article with a huge grain of salt.

Yes, the Spanish articles that I have found all say implantable birth control, and several even specify it was the in the arm type and not an IUD.

The same description in the original Daily Fail article also said she was 4ft which is large for a 9 year old. It's not, even for Mexico and a followup article said the age of consent in Jalisco is 14, when it's 12.

That author clearly has fact checking issues so I would take everything in that article with a huge grain of salt.

Is 4ft tall really too tall for a 9yo? I don't remember how tall I was when I was 9, but I do remember being 4'10" when I was 10. I doubt I grew 10 inches in one year. I'm 5'6", which is average height. I don't know if the averages are shorter in Mexico.

I've been frustrated with the media coverage on this. I wonder if some of the "facts" were erroneously reported for shock value.

Is 4ft tall really too tall for a 9yo? I don't remember how tall I was when I was 9, but I do remember being 4'10" when I was 10. I doubt I grew 10 inches in one year. I'm 5'6", which is average height. I don't know if the averages are shorter in Mexico.

I've been frustrated with the media coverage on this. I wonder if some of the "facts" were erroneously reported for shock value.

My seven year-old is 4'4", which is at the top end of the charts for her age, but it's not freakishly tall. It seems like Mexicans are shorter on average (just based on observation of the many, many immigrants a couple of towns away from me), but I certainly can't see 4' being seen as noticeably tall for a 9 year-old.

My kid was 4'8" at 9. Future basketball player. No way on earth is 4 foot even close to tall like the article said though.

I believe they thought no one would check up on the details. For the most part, people and news sites are taking the original story at face value despite it not adding up.

The real corroborated story that is now coming out is horrific enough.

An isolated 13-15 year old who had never been to school because she was caring for her 11 siblings became pregnant, and instead of being helped she was given birth control and sent right back to the place she was victimized.

This could just as easily be from many of the fundie families we snark on. This girl was for all purposes a SAHD.

I haven't followed the story closely enough to know if the girl might be from an indigenous group, but there are some groups from some parts of Mexico where the adults are very, very, very short in-stature in general. If she is from one of those groups than 4 ft might be very tall for a 9 year old.

But since the entire rest of the story seems to be horribly translated and incredibly exaggerated in general - that is probably not the case.

I understand the point you are trying to make. I completely agree that she obviously would be much, much better off in 99.9% of American homes, but this kind of horrific abuse exists in the U.S. as well. The main thing that is making this so newsworthy is because she was 9, and it is extremely unusual for a young girl to be able to conceive and deliver at that young age. If she was 11 or 12 it might make the local news, but that's it.

It does happen here. I took care of an 11 year old raped by her step father who underwent a second trimester termination. Didn't even make the local news.

My son who is now 8 hit 4 ft. last spring when he was still 7. I distinctly remember this because he was finally able to use the water slide at the rec center and was SO excited. He is VERY small for his age. I am only 5 ft tall, and my husband is about 6 ft. My son is probably around 25th percentile. My cousin's son is 2 weeks older than him, and my son gets all his hand me downs! He is more of an average height for an 8 yo. My 9 yo daughter is probably 4 ft. 6 in. and is fairly average, and my 12 yo daughter is probably 4 ft. 9/10. She's damn near as tall as me.

http://www.zocalo.com.mx/seccion/articulo/padrastro-de-menor-que-dio-luz-pide-perdon-y-justifica-abuso-1360946748

The picture is of the stepfather who is in custody by Mexican police and it says has confessed. He's using the "legitimate rape" defense. :doh:

Wow... Just wow...

He's 44 and she's approximately 12; he supposedly only raped her twice but he was drunk :roll: AND she consented to it *queue head explosion*. It all started when she hugged him and he didn't confess because she didn't want him to. Oh and she made up the story about the 17 year old boyfriend. I can't read anymore because I might go into a violent fit with my phone but he says he considers her like his daughter. !@@##$$$#@@#%&&+*??&%$*?/

eta IF, big IF, she did tell him to keep it a secret, it's likely because SHE would be the one getting in trouble. Argh!

Dear God,

Instead of spending all your time and energy on funding cheap dresses and free horses and parking spots for fundies, coulld you please spare some effort for this poor little girl in Mexico? And her family?actually, all the kids and families in the world who find themselves in shitty situations and without any hope of it getting better? Pretty please? Kthnx

Amen!

It's been confirmed the mother did try to get her into sex work too, which is every bit as horrific and scary. Also, apparently her actual age is 12 rather than 15.

I sincerely, sincerely hope that she really has been given a IUD or whatever kind of birth control. Anything but the removal of her reproductive organs. It's still wrong that they didn't as HER. It's still wrong that she was raped by her stepfather. It's still wrong her mother lied about her age to pimp her out for more money. It's still wrong that she was sent back to the home she was raped in. But at least the doctors didn't mutilate her.

That poor girl needs to be rescued so badly. Is there nothing like social services in Mexico?

It's been confirmed the mother did try to get her into sex work too, which is every bit as horrific and scary. Also, apparently her actual age is 12 rather than 15.

I sincerely, sincerely hope that she really has been given a IUD or whatever kind of birth control. Anything but the removal of her reproductive organs. It's still wrong that they didn't as HER. It's still wrong that she was raped by her stepfather. It's still wrong her mother lied about her age to pimp her out for more money. It's still wrong that she was sent back to the home she was raped in. But at least the doctors didn't mutilate her.

That poor girl needs to be rescued so badly. Is there nothing like social services in Mexico?

Not in any meaningful sense, no there is not. A child services organization exists, but they are nothing like child services in first world countries.

Children who are in such a horrible situation that they cannot stay at home are almost always be placed with another family member unless no family will take them.

If they are not placed with family they are sent to "orphanages" which are not funded by the government and usually religiously based. Most kids stay at these homes until they age out at which point they are turned loose on the street.

Since the stepfather is now in prison, and the mother is employed it is highly unlikely they will remove the children. Sex work is not illegal, and most prostitutes have children.

It's unlikely she would be placed in foster care even if she was in the U.S. , the most likely social services situation if she is twelve is that she would be placed back with the mother with the requirement that the abuser be out of the home - since he is in prison he is not in the home. The mother would probably be required to take parenting classes and there might be some sort of counseling requirement - but that's probably about it. If she were younger, or if the abuser was still in the home she would be more likely to be removed. Particularly if the income coming in was legal by whatever definition of legal applied.

ETA: With how high profile the case is though there would be likely more intervention - but truthfully, I think that would be more due to the media attention than anything else.

Just adding in to say that 4' isn't that tall for a 9yo. Mine is 4'6 and on the low end of normal. My 7yo is about 4'1". In any event, that poor girl. 9 or 15, she's had a horrendous life.

Archived