IGNORED

9-year old girl sterilised after giving birth

Vex

This isn't really related to religion but it is most definitely about patriarchy, and what it does to women.

A 9-year-old girl from Mexico recently gave birth. She had no idea she was pregnant until she was 7 months along and police are now saying they think that the stepfather is the baby's father because he had been "having sex" with the girl and her sisters.

That is the terminology the police used. Not raped. Having sex. To me that implies they feel the rape was consensual because they didn't fight hard enough or 'let it happen' repeatedly. The girl also had a boyfriend who is either 15 or 17 so they're doing DNA tests to determine paternity.

The story gets worse. The girl was left alone by her mother, an AIDS-infected prostitute, to care for her 13 siblings while she turned tricks. It is possible the girl is HIV positive or has AIDS, which means it's possible the baby could be HIV positive, although she had a C-section so it's not terribly likely. Surely they'll tell her not to breastfeed if she's keeping the baby and is HIV positive.

After the C-sections the doctor decided to sterilise her so she couldn't have any more children. Not because of complications, or because she requested it. Just to stop her from popping out more babies. This was done without consulting anyone, least of all the patient herself. To me this is nothing short of mutilation, an incredible violation of her body. How would the doctor like it if he had fathered a baby at 9 and someone had cut off his balls to stop it from happening a second time?

To me, again, this places the blame on the girl's shoulders. Like they're punishing her for 'letting herself' get pregnant, and think she's so irresponsible and promiscuous that she can't keep her legs shut so they must step in and make sure her rapist can rape her secure in the knowledge he won't be making any more mistakes.

Here is an article on the story: globalgrind. com/news/doctors-sterilize-9-year-old-who-gave-birth-mexico-photos

Every time I read more about this case it gets worse and worse. This poor girl has been abused by everyone in her life, from her mother to stepfather to the doctors who were supposed to help her.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so disgusting. The doctor had NO RIGHT. 9 years old? Not even if the mother had given permission. This is horrible. I wonder if any legal action will be taken.

That is the terminology the police used. Not raped. Having sex. To me that implies they feel the rape was consensual because they didn't fight hard enough or 'let it happen' repeatedly. The girl also had a boyfriend who is either 15 or 17 so they're doing DNA tests to determine paternity.

Well, they must have been having sex and it couldn't have been a rape because she ended up pregnant and a woman's body, obviously, has "ways of shutting that down." Trufax.

Seriously, though, this is FUCKING HORRIFIC. Doing any sort of genital or reproductive surgery on children which may impact adult functioning/satisfaction is just so wrong.

The whole story is so sick and sad. Regarding sterilizing her: it's terrible that they didn't tell her what was going on, and that she will not be able to choose to have children as an adult. But realistically, who or what was going to protect her from becoming pregnant again before she even reaches her teens? Her mother, stepfather, and "boyfriend" have all violated her. They can't be trusted. She's so young and is living in such chaotic circumstances that it might not be realistic for her to go on the pill, nor can I imagine her rapist, be it her stepfather or the "boyfriend," wearing a condom the next time. (Unless she's removed from that environment, I can't imagine there won't be a next time.) Perhaps Norplant would've been a better move; at least she'd have the option of removing it when she's ready to consent to having children.

This happened in Mexico so I have no idea if legal recourse is available for her. I am not the litigious type but I think she should sue for every cent she can get. They absolutely mutilated that poor girl, it seems it was done more for the sake of her rapist rather than for her.

I see where you're coming from, darkplumaged. It's cold comfort though. Even tying her tubes would have been preferable to actually removing her womb.

This is such a huge violation of her reproductive rights. The doctor should have his license removed and be sued for every penny he has and then some. He's violated the Hippocratic oath and harmed her irreparably.

Thanks for posting that more in-depth article. I am loathe to say anyone is better off a Duggar but in this case it seems true. She's already being mother to a huge brood of children, and at least with the Duggars there wouldn't be any rape or exposure to AIDS, drugs or prostitution.

This isn't really related to religion but it is most definitely about patriarchy, and what it does to women.

A 9-year-old girl from Mexico recently gave birth. She had no idea she was pregnant until she was 7 months along and police are now saying they think that the stepfather is the baby's father because he had been "having sex" with the girl and her sisters.

The story gets worse. The girl was left alone by her mother, an AIDS-infected prostitute, to care for her 13 siblings while she turned tricks. It is possible the girl is HIV positive or has AIDS, which means it's possible the baby could be HIV positive, although she had a C-section so it's not terribly likely. Surely they'll tell her not to breastfeed if she's keeping the baby and is HIV positive.

The C-sections the doctor decided to sterilise her so she couldn't have any more children. Not because of complications, or because she requested it. Just to stop her from popping out more babies. This was done without consulting anyone, least of all the patient herself. To me this is nothing short of mutilation, an incredible violation of her body. How would the doctor like it if he had fathered a baby at 9 and someone had cut off his balls to stop it from happening a second time?

To me, again, this places the blame on the girl's shoulders. Like they're punishing her for 'letting herself' get pregnant, and think she's so irresponsible and promiscuous that she can't keep her legs shut so they must step in and make sure her rapist can rape her secure in the knowledge he won't be making any more mistakes.

Here is an article on the story: globalgrind. com/news/doctors-sterilize-9-year-old-who-gave-birth-mexico-photos

Every time I read more about this case it gets worse and worse. This poor girl has been abused by everyone in her life, from her mother to stepfather to the doctors who were supposed to help her.

The police called it rape yesterday and stated they were looking for a 17 year-old, maybe the officer misspoke :?

Since the so called mom wanted the girl to work with her in the sex trade, I really feel for this girl's future.

It is not common but not unknown for doctors in Mexico to sterilize women without them knowing after giving birth to say 6 kids and they are poor etc. it is i guess a last resort in lieu of education and macho culture that still may exist in rural areas or among the neediest. In many cases though they will tell them with a social worker present (no husband). It is the best option for many ladies as the pill or condoms are not an option at all for many. My sister is a doctor at a public hospital in Mexico and this how I heard about this in the past. I really don't know though why they chose too put this young child through that only maybe they thought that was the only thing they could do too help her. :cry:

When I first read about the 9 yo mother, I was horrified. It's definitely abuse. His is even more horrible as she is violated again. I want to know what was going on in the mind of the doctor to think sterilizing a child rape victim was the solution to her problem? This doctor shouldn't be sued, he should be jailed for performing surgery without consent. This is a horrible violation...I can't imagine what this young girl will think when she's old enough to realize what was done to her.....

She was 9 years old???? :( That poor girl, she's been subjected to so many horrors that most adults couldn't deal with without years of conselling - I really hope someone can look after her and give her a bright future, sadly I don't think that will happen. :(

Dear God,

Instead of spending all your time and energy on funding cheap dresses and free horses and parking spots for fundies, coulld you please spare some effort for this poor little girl in Mexico? And her family?actually, all the kids and families in the world who find themselves in shitty situations and without any hope of it getting better? Pretty please? Kthnx

Dear God,

Instead of spending all your time and energy on funding cheap dresses and free horses and parking spots for fundies, coulld you please spare some effort for this poor little girl in Mexico? And her family?actually, all the kids and families in the world who find themselves in shitty situations and without any hope of it getting better? Pretty please? Kthnx

THIS

Just this week we've learned of two horrible crimes against children. This one and the one discussed here

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15349

Beaten, tortured, raped, murdered... at 5.

I was brought up with the understanding that one was not to ask god for anything for yourself. Its a hard concept to explain, but essentially, who the fuck am I to think that I am SOOOOO sooper speshul and important to require the direct attention and intervention of an omnipotent being, and even if I am so special, why is my will better than his?

I realize this is likely a very unconventional teaching in both Judaism (my faith) and most definitely christianity. I was taught that if you are to pray, you should pray for the world and specifically those that have no voice.

So, to all you fundies out there glad that jebus helped you find that speshul bolt of fabric to make your latest frumper - AND ON SALE! Think of those that he forgot, because he was too busy making sure hobby lobby had extra flannel.

Some sources say she has been given a contraceptive implant rather than sterilised. But for God's sake, the real treatment she needs is removal from her mother and step-father's custody, seeing whoever has raped and exploited her jailed, counselling and time with a stable, loving home life where she gets to be nine, to be educated and to be safe from rape.

Normally I'd be up in arms about the "having sex" terminology, but I cut a bit more slack when it's been translated from another language. It's pretty common that nuances are lost along the way.

The first thing I thought when I heard about this was that they may have done it to prevent there from being any more "proof" of rape. Surely, if no red flags were raised by her having a teenaged boyfriend, do you think any ever would if she hadn't have had the baby? Now that she's sterilized, they can turn a blind eye to her horrible situation because there are no "consequences."

It makes me sick even to think about.

Sad all around. Not only is this little girl being victimized by multiple sources, but so are her sisters and possibly her baby (if it's a girl, though I doubt the pieces of shit willing to rape a little girl would care much about raping a little boy instead)

The first thing I thought when I heard about this was that they may have done it to prevent there from being any more "proof" of rape. Surely, if no red flags were raised by her having a teenaged boyfriend, do you think any ever would if she hadn't have had the baby? Now that she's sterilized, they can turn a blind eye to her horrible situation because there are no "consequences."

It makes me sick even to think about.

The police have said it's rape and that they're looking for a 17 year old male who fled Mexico. I don't think thay're trying to cover it up.

Normally I'd be up in arms about the "having sex" terminology, but I cut a bit more slack when it's been translated from another language. It's pretty common that nuances are lost along the way.

Yes I was wondering that too. The language barrier may have skewed the meaning of what the authorities said.

Nevertheless, this is so messed up on so many levels. The poor girl has had such a chaotic life and on top of that it appears no education. Even with a start in life like that in a first world country the prospects are dim, but this poor girl certainly has next to no chance of living a stable life. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

This is Mexico. My husband was born there and has told me tons of stories about the poverty and corruption. No one is going to help that child, or remove her from the situation, unless there is a ton of negative publicity that makes someone important look bad. Things like counseling are a US luxury.

This is what I mean when I say there are fates far worse than being raised in a fundie home. A fundie home looks pretty good compared what this poor child has endured and (most likely) will continue to endure. And there are many more children like her.

Archived