IGNORED

Written for our Learning

fundies_like_zombies

only $500 to be a midwife? wow... yeah not too sure I would trust that ... in Canada it is highly regulated and it is like 2 or 4 years in a university(never really looked in to it) certainly not that cheep to do ..

I lived at home while working full time at a minimum wage job trying to save for College, I was informed by my mom that they did not mind supporting me because I was saving all my money, if I had been spending it they would have charged me rent. I went to college went home for a year, worked put all my money away for my wedding and got married. I am sure if I had stayed and not gotten married I would have been paying rent or even getting my own place... that is the normal progression of life.

No, a "midwife". Different thing entirely. One is a highly trained medical professional well trained all aspects of pregnancy and birth, who can deal with small complications and can recognise anything requiring a doctor's care. The other is someone who thinks birth is totally amazing and has been to as many as forty of them!

No, a "midwife". Different thing entirely. One is a highly trained medical professional well trained all aspects of pregnancy and birth, who can deal with small complications and can recognise anything requiring a doctor's care. The other is someone who thinks birth is totally amazing and has been to as many as forty of them!

And she's learning by correspondence. She's basically teaching herself how to deliver babies.

How funny, that's a Russian drink. I wonder how she learned about it?

In Russia it's not like a "healthy" drink or anything, it's more like a "common man's drink" that they still sell on street corners and at outdoor events. It tastes like sweetened liquid bread and I think it's gross as hell, but some people love it.

ITA about the Masterpiece Theater overload. I always loved that stuff, but I also thought it would be stultifying and depressing to spend every day stuck indoors floating around the drawing room and embroidering (although the latter IS my hobby.) I always think of that weird scene in Pride and Prejudice where the women "take a turn about the room" for exercise. :::shudder:::

I assure you it is most refreshing!

And she's learning by correspondence. She's basically teaching herself how to deliver babies.

I was going to comment on that, too. Because... doesn't that mean that she's basically doing some sort of distance-style learning? I know I'm using logic here, but I would imagine that in order to learn how to birth babies, one really should have some hands-on experience birthing babies as part of their coursework.

I assure you it is most refreshing!

I thought there was an undercurrent of miss bingly wanting to show off her figure and elegant gait to the uninterested darcy - from the days when the most dashing women damped their petticoats to make their dresses cling more. So I always see the scene with a bit of a streetwalker vibe ;)

1. Correspondence courses for midwifery sound as reassuring as correspondence courses for piloting aircraft.

2. When I was studying in the Soviet Union, (many decades ago - everyone thought I was nuts) kvass was made from fermented rye water. It was sold on the street from trucks with tanks of it attached and it tasted like fermented horse piss. Not having any actual background in horse piss - fermented or otherwise to compare it to - but yeah, it was pretty awful. Of course as representatives of America, the good guys, we had to smile and nod and down it. Our motto was "eat whatever they give you, you can throw it up later." mir i druzhba!

Oh dear god, I recognize the book she is reading holding in that photo: The Excellent Wife. I received a copy from a friend's mother. It paints a very depressing picture of marriage.

Maybe its just a prop as she isn't married?

Holy CRAP I wonder what my old midwife's opinion of a correspondence course in midwifery would be. She served an apprenticeship, dammit, attended almost 300 births (IIRC, she isn't here to ask) and endured three brain-breaking days of viva voce and written exams in order to be allowed to practice without having a more experienced midwife in the room, and took continuing ed courses on campus in another city every year until she retired in order to keep her quals. And on top of that she kept up her certification as a first responder and subscribed to a stack of medical journals.

ETA: I would love to put my old midwife in a room with this larva. Her opinion of fluffy bunny woo-woo dabblers was . . . not high. As she use to put it, "You don't fuck around with something this important."

At the moment, it appeals to me to be able to just spend the entire morning/afternoon doing nothing but reading books, knitting, writing...

But, you know, that's only because I don't wanna write this paper.

Know how you feel. Some days it seems nice to think I can get married and only worry about laundry and cooking dinner and reading and writing, but there's this thing called reality. And I live in it, so I go to class, do my work and write my stupid papers and work.

Oh dear god, I recognize the book she is reading holding in that photo: The Excellent Wife. I received a copy from a friend's mother. It paints a very depressing picture of marriage.

I got it as a wedding present from a friend of my mother-in-law. It had some good advice about communication and working to maintain an honest relationship, but when I got to the chapter that said it was a sin to work outside the home (I'm a college professor), I threw that thing in the garbage.

Does this mean I'm more qualified than her to deliver human babies because I've assisted in numerous deliveries of lambs and goat kids?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived