IGNORED

Boehner: End Abortion 'This Year'

doggie

Even if they could make it illegal (in a year no less) Like it would just go away. These people can't understand that it will not go away has not in all the history of mankind and has not in countries that made it illegal. But in fact went up. Because what would follow is attacking birth control and family planning.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/2 ... 52597.html

As hundreds of thousands of people braved sub-freezing temperatures in Washington, D.C., on Friday to join the anti-abortion protest March for Life, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) took the opportunity to reiterate his commitment to banning abortion in America for good.

Addressing the crowd at the National Mall via video broadcast, Boehner said it's time for anti-abortion activisits to "commit ourselves to doing everything we can to protect the sanctity of life." Step one, he said, is making permanent the Hyde Amendment, which prevents federal dollars from being used to pay for abortions except in cases of rape or incest.

Jesus, this is like those 'educators' who said they will raise the bellcurve of tests, not understanding that in a bellcurve graph there's always going to be outliers.

Urghhh the anti-choicers annoy me so much, all of this "sanctity of life" stuff - what about the lives (i.e the women, actual children) that already exist?! Abortions would still happen even if there were made illegal, except they wouldn't be regulated - which endangers the lives of women. I just don't get why they think they have the right to decide what women do with their own bodies.

They want to end abortion? Fine. Here's where they can start-

1) Make comprehensive sex education available, for free, to everyone in the U.S. Reduce the number of women who need an abortion because they were kept ignorant by politicians about their body's own basic biology.

2) Provide every single form of contraceptive in a way that is affordable and easily accessible for everyone. For the poor and middle class (and upper class if they can't afford it for some reason)- free condoms, free pills, free Depo shots, free IUDs, free sterilization. Reduce the number of women who need an abortion because they couldn't afford protection.

3) Strengthen social programs for the poor and working class. Programs that provide adequate and healthy food, safe housing, energy to heat and cool said housing to safe levels, dependable and well trained childcare options, reliable transportation, and proper treatment for things like addiction or mental illness, if needed, should be generously encouraged to all poor people as a bare minimum. Reduce the number of women who need an abortion because they can barely feed the children they've got, don't have livable housing, can't get someone they can trust to watch their child while they work, aren't able to guarantee they can keep their job due to problems with substandard public transportation, or have a mental illness or addiction that would negatively affect their child but they cannot get treatment for. Overall, reduce the number of women who need an abortion because they worry about bringing a child into a situation where one unlucky break (lost job, broken down car, leaking roof, serious illness) can be a catastrophe for a family living paycheck to paycheck; women who have no peace of mind when it comes to being able to get by with the current social safety nets.

4) Fight our misogynist culture and put more protections in place for women. Reduce the number of women who need an abortion because they're trapped in an abusive relationship they don’t want to bring a child into or because our culture tells men that they're entitled to sex with any woman they want, even if she doesn't consent or she's drunk or she's passed out, or she's asleep or she's underage.

5) Beef up workers' rights. Reduce the number of women who need abortion because getting pregnant could cost them their job or complications during/after pregnancy would result in time off work they can't afford or who don't have the money to take unpaid time off work to give birth or who would want to stay home with the child for more than 4-6 weeks but risk both their current and future employment if they do.

6) Provide comprehensive medical and dental coverage to everyone. Reduce the number of women who need abortion because something went wrong with the pregnancy that could have been avoided with preventive care or who won’t be able to afford raising a child born with disabilities.

Even with all that, there's still going to be abortions. There are still going to be rapes and accidents with contraceptives and medical problems that aren't preventable and women who just don't want to be mothers. However, if these people really cared about ending the vast majority of abortions, as opposed to just wanting to punish women, they’d be fighting tooth and nail to get these things passed into law.

I will never forget being in Washington D.C. during the March for Life rally in 2001, a day or so after W's inauguration. I was with Presidential Classroom, and one of my group members somehow got his hands on a walkie-talkie belonging to one of the rally organizers. Hilarity ensued. There may or may not have been disciplinary action, but I do remember several people bombing them with questions asking about the closest abortion clinic, whether or not they wanted the remains of the abortion to use at the protest, as well as various inflammatory statements to get them riled up. The screeches coming at us from the marchers was priceless.

1) Make comprehensive sex education available, for free, to everyone in the U.S. Reduce the number of women who need an abortion because they were kept ignorant by politicians about their body's own basic biology.

2) Provide every single form of contraceptive in a way that is affordable and easily accessible for everyone. For the poor and middle class (and upper class if they can't afford it for some reason)- free condoms, free pills, free Depo shots, free IUDs, free sterilization. Reduce the number of women who need an abortion because they couldn't afford protection.

3) Strengthen social programs for the poor and working class. Programs that provide adequate and healthy food, safe housing, energy to heat and cool said housing to safe levels, dependable and well trained childcare options, reliable transportation, and proper treatment for things like addiction or mental illness, if needed, should be generously encouraged to all poor people as a bare minimum. Reduce the number of women who need an abortion because they can barely feed the children they've got, don't have livable housing, can't get someone they can trust to watch their child while they work, aren't able to guarantee they can keep their job due to problems with substandard public transportation, or have a mental illness or addiction that would negatively affect their child but they cannot get treatment for. Overall, reduce the number of women who need an abortion because they worry about bringing a child into a situation where one unlucky break (lost job, broken down car, leaking roof, serious illness) can be a catastrophe for a family living paycheck to paycheck; women who have no peace of mind when it comes to being able to get by with the current social safety nets.

4) Fight our misogynist culture and put more protections in place for women. Reduce the number of women who need an abortion because they're trapped in an abusive relationship they don’t want to bring a child into or because our culture tells men that they're entitled to sex with any woman they want, even if she doesn't consent or she's drunk or she's passed out, or she's asleep or she's underage.

5) Beef up workers' rights. Reduce the number of women who need abortion because getting pregnant could cost them their job or complications during/after pregnancy would result in time off work they can't afford or who don't have the money to take unpaid time off work to give birth or who would want to stay home with the child for more than 4-6 weeks but risk both their current and future employment if they do.

6) Provide comprehensive medical and dental coverage to everyone. Reduce the number of women who need abortion because something went wrong with the pregnancy that could have been avoided with preventive care or who won’t be able to afford raising a child born with disabilities.

Even with all that, there's still going to be abortions. There are still going to be rapes and accidents with contraceptives and medical problems that aren't preventable and women who just don't want to be mothers. However, if these people really cared about ending the vast majority of abortions, as opposed to just wanting to punish women, they’d be fighting tooth and nail to get these things passed into law.

Bravo, Valsa! QFT!!

Personally, I'm thinking that we ought to end Boehner's run of Speaker of the House this year instead of abortion.

I hope the media remembers this when 2014 comes along and abortion is still legal in the US.

What the nutters are too stupid to realize is that they're being used. We had a Republican president for eight years. During those eight years the Republican party controlled both houses of congress for six years and we had (and still have) a conservative Supreme Court. Abortion could have become illegal at any time, but it didn't. Why? Because if abortion were illegal then the Republicans would lose the enormous income that it has heretofore fleeced from the true believers. As long as it's legal it can be used as the small, shiny object to distract the gullible and the money will keep rolling in. Abortion will become illegal in the U.S. when pigs fly or the Republican party stops wanting vast amounts of money.

Ooh, there you go, talkin' all sensible and stuff.

And Boehner, or as I like to call him, the Weeping Nectarine, needs to STFU.

Ooh, there you go, talkin' all sensible and stuff.

And Boehner, or as I like to call him, the Weeping Nectarine, needs to STFU.

Valsa, you rock. That's a great list. And I cannot emphasize enough the importance of universal health care. If people didn't have to worry about having to scrounge up enough for birth control, or other medical care, it would be used a lot more consistently and effectively.

And Golightly? I call him the Lonely Oompa-Loompa. He's the last of his kind, so that's why he cries all the time. It's a very sad story, really.

Personally, I'm thinking that we ought to end Boehner's run of Speaker of the House this year instead of abortion.

From your lips to God's ears.

Urghhh the anti-choicers annoy me so much, all of this "sanctity of life" stuff - what about the lives (i.e the women, actual children) that already exist?! Abortions would still happen even if there were made illegal, except they wouldn't be regulated - which endangers the lives of women. I just don't get why they think they have the right to decide what women do with their own bodies.

I had a similar discussion with a Republican friend of mine. It didn't end well.

Valsa, you rock. That's a great list. And I cannot emphasize enough the importance of universal health care. If people didn't have to worry about having to scrounge up enough for birth control, or other medical care, it would be used a lot more consistently and effectively.

And Golightly? I call him the Lonely Oompa-Loompa. He's the last of his kind, so that's why he cries all the time. It's a very sad story, really.

The Lonely Oompa-Loopma? Hee! And did you see Michelle Obama throwing Boehner shade the the White House luncheon? Go Michelle!

mqdefault.jpg

QFT Valsa's post.

What the nutters are too stupid to realize is that they're being used. We had a Republican president for eight years. During those eight years the Republican party controlled both houses of congress for six years and we had (and still have) a conservative Supreme Court. Abortion could have become illegal at any time, but it didn't. Why? Because if abortion were illegal then the Republicans would lose the enormous income that it has heretofore fleeced from the true believers. As long as it's legal it can be used as the small, shiny object to distract the gullible and the money will keep rolling in. Abortion will become illegal in the U.S. when pigs fly or the Republican party stops wanting vast amounts of money.

This. Not to mention that they can chip away at actual access to abortion, while still having Roe as the big bad scary law. But it keeps their constituency stirred up.

Yup; he's as much an ass as were recent GOP speakers Newt and Dennis Hasbert (Sp??), and that it saying something... He seems like such a pretentious mofo.

At the begining of the 1hPM Inaugural Lunch I saw that Boehner (how do you pronounce this? as in "beener" or, hum, "boner"?) sat at the Presidential table, right beside the First Lady. Anyways, I ended up (stupidly I might add) laughing by myself as I saw him take a huge gulp of wine every single time the cameras were on him, which was often due to his seating arrangement. I have nothing against someone having a drink (or 4) while celebrating, although I do have doubts that Mr. Speaker was in a huge festive mood, this being a Democratic President being sworn-in for his 2nd term and all. I wonder how many glasses of vino he drank at lunch? Hope that he paced it with glasses of water, otherwise I can't vouch for his overall state at the evening's balls! :dance:

I wrote to a "friend" and detailed to her the years of GOP administrations that had not overturned Roe v. Wade since 1973. Funny, she didn't seem to get it. The hysteria from the Clinton administration and the current one about "the baybeeez" that are going to be slaughtered if this guy got elected. They don't seem to like it when you point out that there was 8 years of Ronnie, 4 years of Bush Sr. and 8 years of Bush Jr. and it's still legal. Whatever. They can't speak to any of the substantive issues so they pick that one.

Yup; he's as much an ass as were recent GOP speakers Newt and Dennis Hasbert (Sp??), and that it saying something... He seems like such a pretentious mofo.

At the begining of the 1hPM Inaugural Lunch I saw that Boehner (how do you pronounce this? as in "beener" or, hum, "boner"?) sat at the Presidential table, right beside the First Lady. Anyways, I ended up (stupidly I might add) laughing by myself as I saw him take a huge gulp of wine every single time the cameras were on him, which was often due to his seating arrangement. I have nothing against someone having a drink (or 4) while celebrating, although I do have doubts that Mr. Speaker was in a huge festive mood, this being a Democratic President being sworn-in for his 2nd term and all. I wonder how many glasses of vino he drank at lunch? Hope that he paced it with glasses of water, otherwise I can't vouch for his overall state at the evening's balls! :dance:

It's BAY-ner.

I call him the Lonely Oompa-Loompa. He's the last of his kind, so that's why he cries all the time. It's a very sad story, really.

I call him the Annoying Orange.

While I am more conservative regarding abortion regulations than most posters here - I absolutely couldn't agree more with all of your very well written points. :clap:

More than 4 million babies, about 11,000 a day, are born each year in the United States.

That’s 4 x 40 years since Roe V Wade = 160 million babies BORN since Roe V Wade.

It is estimated that 50% of children are homeless in the US.

That’s 80 million children.

And you’re pissed that 55 million abortion were performed, saving another 27.5 million from being homeless?

Fuck you and your terrible logic. If you wanna March for Life, MARCH YOUR ASS TO THE NEAREST HOMELESS SHELTER AND DONATE SOMETHING, YOU ASSFUCKS.

This should be reblogged. But the math would sail right over pro-lifers heads.

Do I have to post this yet AGAIN?

So what about the competing sperm that did not make it to the egg? Do those not count as unborn babies that need to be saved? What about when women have periods, do they desereve to be punished for killing those babies because they were stupid and young and didn't want to be a mother at that age? How will you anti-choicers save them? What about miscarriages? Should a woman be killed because of that?

Do men deserve to be punished for ejaculating their unborn sperm? If no, then why not? What kind of culture do unborn babies have? What were their accents, their homecountry of coming out of the womb, their societal expectations, what language did they grow up around/learn/speak the most? What religion were they? Or were they not affliated with a religious organization/agnostic/atheist?

Do people who don't believe in a deity are less than worthy of the privileges that most people who believe in deities, particularly the Christian God for granted? If women are only going to use taxpayer money to by crack, drugs and spend on themselves, then why make them have an anwanted baby? What if they baby is abused/neglected because the mother didn't want her or him? If adoption is always the better solution, then why aren't you pro-lifers buying up to your necks in babies? Why do most of you adopt from other countries rather than from your home country? Is it because the adoption system is hard here (in America)?

If so, then why do you think that adoption is a better alternative? What will be the punishment for abortion doctors and women who have and perform abortions? Will they be killed/put in prison for life? What about the other criminals? How will the population census of America be updated?

Why don't you teach men not to rape women because their supposedly big strong alpha-males who have to have women controll their "urges" by dressing modestly? You anti-choicers never really think your agenda thru, don't you?

Archived