IGNORED

Abigail guilted into praying for Obama

lilwriter85

abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2013/01/prayers-for-inauguration.html

Today is President Obama's Official Inauguration. I was a History Major in College. These used to be a big deal for me. Today--I'm just so not into politics.

Yet my parish priest laid the guilt on thick during last Sunday's homily. He reminded us how critical it is to pray for our President. He reminded us how that United States Presidency is a totally overwhelming responsibility. We need to pray for President Obama to surround himself with quote "wise counselors" and "to always seek the advice from God first in decisions."

That's a pretty grand prayer. I'm not sure I can get there with a sincere heart today. Yet I can pray that God will bless President Obama. I will have greater sympathy for the trials of his office. I will extend greater respect to the man and to the office. (Sorry, for all those mean quips on Facebook during the election God and President Obama. I'll try to do better in 2013).

My job is to do three things in my prayerful heart today. I've got love President Obama and wish the best for him. I need to pray for the upcoming March for Life on Friday. I need to have greater trust that my little hidden work inside this insignificant Catholic Family--is important and is changing the America I love for the better.

Keep Your Eyes on the Prize!

Now, now, I am sure it is quite difficult to pray sincerely for a man who singlehandedly crushed your dreams to build a public, man-made lake that you would somehow make money from,

Did she really just channel the Civil Rights movement with "Eyes on the Prize?" Oh please. That she would consider herself worthy of that legacy is just laughable.

Did she really just channel the Civil Rights movement with "Eyes on the Prize?" Oh please. That she would consider herself worthy of that legacy is just laughable.

I actually laughed at that!

I actually laughed at that!

I always thought that "keep your eyes on the prize" was just an expression. I would wager quite a few people aren't familiar with that phrase as having anything to do with Civil Rights. Although, I just Googled it so I see where you are coming from. However, the first thing that came up for it on google was a Montreal Canadiens site, so I think the phrase has become rather widespread.

The civil rights song lyrics derive from something the apostle Paul wrote in Philippians. Abigail probably doesn't get the irony of her remarks and doesn't grasp that some civil rights leaders tapped into gospel and other new testament writing for imagery and inspiration, that MLK Jr. was an ordained minister, that the initial push for universal suffrage in the U.S. was intertwined with wesleyan methodism...

Yet my parish priest laid the guilt on thick during last Sunday's homily. He reminded us how critical it is to pray for our President. He reminded us how that United States Presidency is a totally overwhelming responsibility. We need to pray for President Obama to surround himself with quote "wise counselors" and "to always seek the advice from God first in decisions."

Not sure how this is a guilt trip, especially since this could be so widely interpreted.

Archived