IGNORED

Pat Robertson: “Awful-looking� women are ruining marriages

doggie

And if a woman makes any effort to be 'attractive', she's a slut who's luring other men to sin.

Pat Robinson is...well, I dunno. I can't think of any insult strong enough.

If Pat ever retires, or more likely, wanders off from his care-givers into the street and gets hit by a Mac truck,

I'd nominate that horrible Mark Driscoll take over that fool's job. That type of response is right up crazy Mark's alley.

Someone needs to tell Jennifer Aniston , Princess Diana, and Sandra Bullock they weren't cute enough to keep their men.....

Um, why? :? And why would it not apply equally to a man, if all you look for in a relationship is outward appearance?

Also, there is no "we" when it comes to snarking on the appearance of fundie wives. Some people make it a point to not snark on appearance, full stop. Others call people out for snarking on appearance. Even those who do find appearance fair game have never suggested that fundie wives need to look better just to please their husbands. In fact, most of the time the fact that a fundie wife may look older and more haggard than she once did is entirely the fault of a husband who keeps her barefoot and pregnant, raising his overstuffed "quiver" without any help. And of a patriarchal society like the one Pat Robertson represents, which tells her she should be able to do that without allowing the strain to show because that is A Woman's Place.

+1

And if a woman makes any effort to be 'attractive', she's a slut who's luring other men to sin.

Well of course. Basically, "if she won't have sex with me, she's frigid and pathological and behind the times prudish, if she's willing to have sex with anyone else she's a slut."

Welcome to the patriarchy. Acting on your own behalf just isn't allowed.

The patriachy- where it doesn't matter if you're poor, stupid, or ugly because, by gum, you have a penis so you're automatically better than 50 point whatever percent of the population. You're right and she's wrong. Nyah, nyah, nyah.

I'm also wondering if he might be showing signs of dementia since he doesn't even think about how his comments might affect people, including Christians. As for snarking on appearance, I've never seen a post here saying that a husband should divorce his wife because of her looks, or that the wife should make more of an effort. After all, some of those husbands would be extremely upset if the wife cut her hair even slightly. After all, when Michelle got a slight haircut, Boob said he hated the shorter hairstyle.

I'm also thinking that Pat's losing it. He's had a string of comments that were just doozies, even (or especially) by fundie standards.

There was the comment about divorcing a wife with a condition like Alzheimers'. Then that comment about multiracial adoption. Now this. He's seriously stepping on some fundie toes by criticizing the idea of life-long marriage "in sickness and in health", in putting down adoption (and sounding pretty racist in the process) and now by excusing divorce and focusing on women's looks.

OTOH, in some cases dementia reduces inhibitions, so that people are more likely to reveal their true personalities. My late grandmother, for example, would never remember who we were, but would also say "pleased to meet you" and be polite. [Of course, different forms may also affect different areas of the brain.]

If Pat ever retires, or more likely, wanders off from his care-givers into the street and gets hit by a Mac truck,

I'd nominate that horrible Mark Driscoll take over that fool's job. That type of response is right up crazy Mark's alley.

Someone needs to tell Jennifer Aniston , Princess Diana, and Sandra Bullock they weren't cute enough to keep their men.....

Especially when you took at who they got traded in for, some might argue Angelina, but no one is arguing it must have been a special attraction to drive Charles from Diana to Camelia.

Looks rarely break up marriages. When the hell is God, the devil or who ever is in charge of this asshole home already, he is a pretty awful man.

Hello, I think we're all forgetting something here. Ugly people don't get married, have sex, or, god forbid, fall in love. It's science. And not that devilish evolution-science either. GOD-SCIENCE.

I've never dated and the main reason I never tried out the dating scene before was because I believed that I was ugly and unlovable. This asshole can go step on all the Lego in the world followed by some glass Christmas ornaments, and if that story about the preacher is true then I hope that woman was secure enough to tell that vile man where to go and not believe one word of what he said to her.

Hello, I think we're all forgetting something here. Ugly people don't get married, have sex, or, god forbid, fall in love. It's science. And not that devilish evolution-science either. GOD-SCIENCE.

Aah, but those wily women trick god fearing men into marrying them by appearing young and virginal, then let them down by not maintaining that when they are older and have had eleventy children.

Archived