IGNORED

Let's Make a Mixtape for the SAHDs

Guest Member456

Guest Anonymous

NurseShannon - I love Voltaire. I have a pic of me snuggling him after one of his concerts, he was so nice to me. I actually got starstruck. I felt like a 14 year old girl come face to face with Justin Bieber.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"King of Anything" by Sara Bareilles

This line could be about their fathers, or the man they're expected to marry:

"You sound so innocent

All full of good intent

Swear you know best

But you expect me to

Jump up on board with you

And ride off into your

Delusional sunset..."

"King of Anything" by Sara Bareilles

Yes, and not to mention Fairytale.

Once upon a time in a faraway kingdom

Man made up a story said that I should believe him

Go and tell your white knight that he's handsome in hindsight

But I don't want the next best thing

I think

Patty Smith's "Gloria" for its introduction to blasphemy;

The Smiths "Sheila Take a Bow," for its encouragement to get the f*** out;

and Hole's "Pretty on the inside" for a general rejection of keeping sweet in mind or body.

When I was going through my divorce in 1999, my daughter made me something called "Mommy's Awesome Girl Power Mix Tape." One of my favorites from it is Jewel's "A Life Uncommon":

"...Lend your voices only to sounds of freedom

No longer lend your strength to that

which you wish to be free from

Fill your lives with love and bravery

And we shall lead a life uncommon."

I heard this song on my jog this morning and immediately thought of all our unmarried maidens (yeah its cheesy, but it's fun to listen to)

hGLZqDXau98

And this one, for no better reason than it is currently my favorite song (though on second thought, it has some good lines for the SAHDs)

3KkUeRPjc-Y

I love both of those songs, twin2! :D

Radiohead is my all-time favorite band, and this one reminds me of those who escaped from psycho dads.

RByvzmmEFiQ

This is my favorite Michael Jackson song. It's fitting because it's about going out and experiencing life, something that a lot of SAHDs are prevented from doing.

TgmbYALa0no

Wow, this is fun!

For when they have had enough of their fathers trying to keep them down...

w8KQmps-Sog

PHzOOQfhPFg

And to tell themselves and the world that they've escaped and survived it all...

K02V8T8FisM

mXMuKpP4cWY

'Breakaway'- Kelly Clarkson ('cause I want Jana Duggar and Sarah Maxwell, especially, to run away)

'Firework'- Katy Perry (Every child should feel special and loved...something that I think is lacking in these fundie fams!)

'The Show Goes On' -Lupe Fiasco ("Yeah, yeah, the world is yours!")

'Airplanes'- B.o.B. (Mostly because of the chorus, and how it seems to capture desperation)

Pretty much all the songs from "Footloose: The Musical"

Ke$ha's songs...because as vapid as the lyrics are, they're fun to dance to!

'I Hate Everything About You'- Three Day's Grace ("I hate everything about you, why do I love you?")

'Come What May' from Moulin Rouge (My favorite love song ever, and it seems so pure and genuine, and that's what a relationship should be, not some of the nightmarish stuff that we have seen in fundie relationships *cough*Taliban Tony*cough*)

I think this is one of the funnest threads ever! Tori was already mentioned 3 times, but I'm surprised no one thought of Crucify. I kid you not, this is the song that took me out of the IFB mindset I grew up with.

q8ljHOSqc4A

I've been looking for a savior in these dirty streets

Looking for a savior beneath these dirty sheets

I've been raising up my hands

Drive another nail in

Got enough guilt to start

My own religion....

Why do we

Crucify ourselves

Every day

I crucify myself

Nothing I do is good enough for you

Crucify myself

Every day

And my heart is sick of being in chains

Right on! How could we forget Crucify? Tori is just a delightful treasure trove for this thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Run Devil Run- Ke$ha

LM67uiEh1pk

There's actually two versions of this- the English version sung by Ke$ha and the Korean version by SNSD. The Korean version is more... soft, I guess? Ke$ha seriously means business here, but if SNSD told me to run I'd probably just laugh. The SNSD version is less vitriolic, at least from what I can understand (my Korean is very shaky) and is more about a cheating boyfriend, while this one could be extrapolated to be anything. Maybe a few fundies would relate.

Bjork.

Human Nature

urrbhgC8PB0

It's Oh So Quiet - I just love this song so much.

htobTBlCvUU

Violently Happy

38UrRpYsPjw

Declare Independence

MHeX6yg95xU

They also need to hear classic 80's.... Ah, my teen years.

UBnF7et1plA MPNhV1gF008

lyl5DlrsU90 zJv5qLsLYoo

Nike ahead!

uUjIA3Rt7gk 4p4RWBCEFRo

-QnBccG_ChI 7movKfyTBII

And if that last song upset you then this will fix it

wFWDGTVYqE8

What? No "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister mentioned yet? Or did I just miss it?

ETA: Also, "You Don't Own Me" by Leslie Gore, and maybe "I Wouldn't Have Missed It For the World" by Ronnie Milsap.

What? No "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister mentioned yet? Or did I just miss it?

ETA: Also, "You Don't Own Me" by Leslie Gore, and maybe "I Wouldn't Have Missed It For the World" by Ronnie Milsap.

Just for you, Lainey.

WT1LXhgXPWs

And the beautful Lesley who never thought she could not sing..

-gx-mknOV54

And the theme song of all fundy girls.

L--cqAI3IUI

Thank you for mentioning Katy Perry's "Firework"!! it is a must for everyone in that movement- their sparks seem to be snuffed out by the Patriarchy.

Also Death Cab for Cutie: "I will Follow You in the Dark". Just because they have to know what it feels like to have someone love you so deeply that they will follow you in the dark- instead of just taking whomever Daddy approves of. I almost cry every time I hear that damn song.

Billy Joel's "We didn't start the fire" simply because they need a history lesson, dammit, and to know that the world will keep on moving. Kind of like the below, "Thursday's Child".

"Thursday's Child" by David Bowie.... to show them that there is something out there for everyone, and it is OK to feel overwhelmed. We all have far to go sometimes.

I saw the title and automatically thought Stay At Home Dads. Then I read a few posts. Duh, I'm obviously new to this fundie snarking. :oops: It's Stay At Home Daughters.

You couldn't have paid me to stay home once I graduated from high school, and I liked my parents.

Nell

Hmmmm....I have two songs at the moment:

Tracy Chapman - This Time (A song about putting herself first in love)

Inkubus Sukkubus - Church of Madness (So that SAHDs can learn a version of history that is different to the one they have been fed)

Perhaps I'll come up with more later. This thread is fun!

Toni Childs, the entire "Union" CD.

Her two other CDs "House of Hope" and the "Woman's Boat" are

pretty good, too.

It's just great, empowering music, but her backstory should be inspiring to them.

She was raised in an extremely religious household, but ran away at age 15 to become a musician.

She's been sick with Graves disease for a while, so she's been unable to do anything new for a while.

The Lazy Song- Bruno Mars

fLexgOxsZu0

Sometimes these fundie girls look like they just don't know how to be lazy- so Bruno Mars can teach them how to be lazy! :)

Archived