IGNORED

Escaping fundie scholarship

Wolfie

I just saw that a friend on FB had commented on a post on this FB page http://www.facebook.com/SecularWoman

It was about a scholarship applicant on this site- http://www.wyzant.com/scholarships/v3/e ... te-NC.aspx

I grew up in an extremely religious home where women were encouraged to refuse an education and degree and have children and be homemakers. I left when I was 20 and have spent two years rounding out my education and working to save money so I can go to college. My parents refuse to support me or offer any assistance, including just signing my FAFSA.

If I were to finish college and get a degree, I would first help my 6 younger siblings (specifically the two girls) to also find a way out and get on their feet and go to school.

Then, I would love to create a safe-house where children of religious homeschooling families can come to improve their lives and future and have hope.

From struggling with poverty, to being unable to get a job without a resume or employment history, and often a substandard education; the children of the Quiverfull movement have extreme challenges to overcome. A home like this would be a safe platform for them to transition into the world without being abandoned to struggle. Many of their parents wish this difficulty for their children, saying it will cause them to return and be content with the party line. I want to create a buffer for the pain parents cause when they shun and disinherit their children for religious reasons.

Because there are more of us every day, and so much pain and heartache.

I know that this is possible and I know that my education and success will pave the way for me to help others.

That is how I want to change the world.

Already voted twice after I saw this on Lewis's blog. He apparently knows the girl and labeled her as ex-QF.

A Little Bit of Assistance

If you guys wouldn't mind, take a moment to visit THIS PAGE and help a Patriarchy/Quiverfull survivor gain a scholarship by casting a simple vote for her. Absolutely NO information is required from you, and it literally will take just a few seconds of your time. I've met this young woman and can't adequately describe just how amazing she is or how deserving of this scholarship she is. A little bit of help could mean a lot. To those of you who take a few seconds to do this - a heartfelt thanks.

Archived