IGNORED

People in 15 states start petitions to secede from U.S.

BoomerLynn

Heh. Funny that we in SC, who started the last secession disaster, remain pointedly committed to the union this time. Though I guess we are minute to minute, given the overwhelming redness of the state.

This makes me laugh. Seriously, check into it. SC is far from being anywhere close to the reddest state in the south. On the contrary, for this political election excluding Florida, SC is only "more red" than NC and GA, respectively - and that's only 1% more red than GA.

I may live in Cincy but I am legally an SC resident (in Chs) and far from republican. You WOULD think from the way the state politics are, that the state is more red than it actually is. It isn't. There's hope yet. :)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OOOH excellent!

What will they call their new country?

Will they build a wall around each state? (you know like East Berlin)

Will they need passports?

(no offence to you good people in said states, just a bit of fun.)

OOOH excellent!

Yes to all of your questions. They will also have to purchase the land from the US. I kind of want to give them a small space the size of Jacksonville and see how long they can live there together. If the whole world can fit in Jacksonville then it should be nice and roomy for their small population.

OOOH excellent!

Lol! This is why I am glad I live 10 minutes south of the Ohio River. Ohio here I come! (Especially since my husband works over there anyway.)

Let them go. The US would be better off without them. FWIW, the "Kill the Gays" bill passed in Uganda. Y'all know this was supported by the agency that is underwritten by Chick Fil A.

So yeah, let all of those mouthbreathing, first cousin fucking idiots try to form their own country. We know how well that worked out the first time they tried it.

Let them go. The US would be better off without them. FWIW, the "Kill the Gays" bill passed in Uganda. Y'all know this was supported by the agency that is underwritten by Chick Fil A.

So yeah, let all of those mouthbreathing, first cousin fucking idiots try to form their own country. We know how well that worked out the first time they tried it.

It is truly sickening that people think this ok. I guess these people skipped over the whole "Love your neighbor" part of the bible. You know, words actually spoken by Jesus. :angry-banghead:

On a somewhat funny note, the ad at the bottom of the page was a link to a petition to repeal Obamacare lol.

This makes me laugh. Seriously, check into it. SC is far from being anywhere close to the reddest state in the south. On the contrary, for this political election excluding Florida, SC is only "more red" than NC and GA, respectively - and that's only 1% more red than GA.

I may live in Cincy but I am legally an SC resident (in Chs) and far from republican. You WOULD think from the way the state politics are, that the state is more red than it actually is. It isn't. There's hope yet. :)

True, I didn't bother looking at numbers. My opinion is based strictly on my Facbook feed the day after the election, which fairly quivered with indignant fellow S Carolinians wringing their hands and decrying the sad fate of the nation. SC has actally come off the blood redness somewhat. I can remember not too long ago when you could hardly find a Democrat candidate at any local level---in Charleston even, where the true liberals live. I can also remember when the reverse was true, when the state was all about Democrats. But I do think we are stuck with that nincompoop DeMint and even Lindsay Graham for the foreseeable future; and while everyone seems to hate our governor, she is just oily enough to be able to slide through her troubles and come out smelling like a rose.

Please excuse my ignorance of the US but I have to ask: would any of these states be viable on their own? I suspect Colorado might as it has the same appeal as Switzerland - playground of the rich and famous combined with being the training location of every country's Winter Olympic Team. I'm not counting New York, as they didn't initiate it themselves.

Tell me about the other states? Industry? Mining? Oil? Anything that might provide employment and income for the people who live there? If they did secede, what sort of import and export taxes are the rest of you planning to place on goods moving across the borders?

Pretty much no. Especially not New Jersey, considering how many people from this state commute to either New York or Philadelphia.

I'm pretty sure that the actual politicians from these states, no matter how dense they are, know this. It's the dumbass citizens who started the petitions who are apparently in the dark.

If the American Civil War was any indication, many States could be viable on their own economically. Yes, there are exceptions, and many government services would take a hit, but they could still exist. Because the Constitution left a great deal of powers to the States, it isn't TOO much of a leap for them to become sovereign. No idea if they could do it in the long-term though.

While that was true in the 1860s, I think it would be a lot less true in the 2010s. Since the federal government has expanded immensely, so do the number of people who rely on services from it and so do the number of people who work for it. In the 1860s most people, especially in the South, worked in agriculture from big plantations which ran on slaves down to small family farms. I'm not sure enough people work in agriculture these days to keep up enough food production. I think secession would be a lot more difficult today. And the vast majority of people in any one of those states would rather live in the United States instead of some backwater secessionist offshoot.

I spent way too much time reading message boards about this this weekend. The idiots at the site that shall not be named were in a frenzy over the idea that if enough states get to the 25,000 signatures, Obama will have to respond (as if he's going to say anything but "don't be ridiculous"). But they've also been planning secession (even though half can't spell the word) for who knows how long...

Oregon? Really?

Well, in light of Washington's many large military bases, I am going to start a petition that if Orgeon secedes, Washington be allowed to conquer it, and rename the state "the Shorts of Washington". Then there will be THREE Washingtons: the State of Washington, Washington D.C., and the Shorts of Washington.

You'd just need to cede a bit of land to California, to make the image complete:

QkkzI.gif

That article is a poorly researched crock of shit. I saw a copy/pasted Examiner article in Facebook this morning, the ONLY source is whitehouse.gov. in case anyone didn't know, any crazy asshole can make a petition there. I'm not surprised some loons created and signed petitions for their states to secede. I mean, come on, 169 people thought NEW YORK should secede. That's not going to happen.

Without any comment from governors or other officials from those states, I think we can safely assume those petitions are made for and by fringe lunatics. Except Louisiana, it.has too many signatures.for my comfort.

Goodbye Texas. Don't let the door hit you on your ass on the way out. But seriously, Texas just might be the only state that could successfully secede from the nation and function as a country. They have the energy grid, fuel sources, and it's not a landlocked state.

Now, if the New England states decided to band together and form a progressive nation (five of the six currently allow gay marriage, tiny (Catholic) Rhode Island being the sole hold-out), they might be on to something...

That article is a poorly researched crock of shit. I saw a copy/pasted Examiner article in Facebook this morning, the ONLY source is whitehouse.gov. in case anyone didn't know, any crazy asshole can make a petition there. I'm not surprised some loons created and signed petitions for their states to secede. I mean, come on, 169 people thought NEW YORK should secede. That's not going to happen.

Without any comment from governors or other officials from those states, I think we can safely assume those petitions are made for and by fringe lunatics. Except Louisiana, it.has too many signatures.for my comfort.

When I initially saw the Louisiana secession petition, I noticed that there were a number of people who signed it who didn't even claim to be Louisiana residents. (And there's nothing to keep someone from claiming a residence on an online petition that they don't have in actuality.) I don't see any reason to treat the petition as credible, representative, or anything other than a sign of irritation and a desire to stir shit.

True, I didn't bother looking at numbers. My opinion is based strictly on my Facbook feed the day after the election, which fairly quivered with indignant fellow S Carolinians wringing their hands and decrying the sad fate of the nation. SC has actally come off the blood redness somewhat. I can remember not too long ago when you could hardly find a Democrat candidate at any local level---in Charleston even, where the true liberals live. I can also remember when the reverse was true, when the state was all about Democrats. But I do think we are stuck with that nincompoop DeMint and even Lindsay Graham for the foreseeable future; and while everyone seems to hate our governor, she is just oily enough to be able to slide through her troubles and come out smelling like a rose.

I don't think there are enough bad words for Nikki Haley and her joke of a governorship. I really, truly don't. And because of the upstate, Graham and DeMint will stick around. But I know a huge number of democrats in Charleston and I can only hope they keep speaking out against the crazier members of the GOP.

When I initially saw the Louisiana secession petition, I noticed that there were a number of people who signed it who didn't even claim to be Louisiana residents. (And there's nothing to keep someone from claiming a residence on an online petition that they don't have in actuality.) I don't see any reason to treat the petition as credible, representative, or anything other than a sign of irritation and a desire to stir shit.

That makes me feel better. It absolutely would bot surprise me if a lot if these signers were just trying to stir shit.

North Dakota has lots of oil, wheat, sunflowers, canola, potatoes and sugar beets.

They also have lots of nuclear warheads. Enough there to be the third world power (at least it used to be, back in the 80's.)

But if we didn't trade with them, they probably wouldn't survive. No coffee plantations, and even the really conservative Republicans need their coffee.

We also have an incredible number of meth labs, so you know, we could always just transfer the addiction from coffee to meth. Imagine the productivity spike we'll have! Ya know, before people die of overdose and malnutrition.

CO can't survive on their own seeing as they have almost no water.

Guess the folks in SC haven't seen this yet as I'm sure they'd join.

As far as rain, no, but we do get lots of water from our snowmelt. If we were our own country, we'd stop having to send it east to kansas and beyond.

In all these decades we Cascadians haven't been successful with advancing our attempts at independence. I'll still proudly fly the Doug, but I give little hope to this new burgeoning movement.

Meh, split Oregon in two, sending the Southern 1/4 to CA and give the rest to Washington.

Let the Southern States that are prone to hurricanes and tornadoes secede. Strip any military bases bare, move NASA stuff out West, and just think of how much money FEMA would save during hurricane season...

Meh, split Oregon in two, sending the Southern 1/4 to CA and give the rest to Washington.

Let the Southern States that are prone to hurricanes and tornadoes secede. Strip any military bases bare, move NASA stuff out West, and just think of how much money FEMA would save during hurricane season...

The consensus has always been to give the land east of the Cascades to Idaho. They will get the millionaires in Bend and Sun River, but they're all republicans anyway.

Flying the Doug.

Doug%20Flag.jpg

My state is listed. I'm not sure, however, that here in KY they can find 25,000 people literate enough to spell their own names properly. Oh,well, I'll just run off to the family land in Oklahoma. In my little part of OK I'm surrounded my liberal, live and let live types, so I'll just be fine and dandy. Then again, apparently we now have wild boars running across the land. Lovely.

Archived