IGNORED

Abigail: Being Liked Means You Aren't a Good Catholic

GeoBQn

Yeah, Abigail is disliked because of her righteous lifestyle. It's just another trial because god loves her more. :x

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every morning one of our parish priests jogs around the neighborhood with his beloved black Lab.

I wonder if Fr. William knows that he's universally despised?

I have friends and acquaintances who are surprised when they find out I am a practicing Catholic. I just don't flaunt it. And I walk my dog a lot.

Every morning one of our parish priests jogs around the neighborhood with his beloved black Lab.

I wonder if Fr. William knows that he's universally despised?

Hard to say. Does he smile at his husband?

It takes a pretty high level of narcissism to convert to Catholicism and then start a blog in which you constantly tell people how to be proper Catholics. It also takes a high level of narcissism to believe that every time someone sneezes near you, they're persecuting you. Abigail's martyr complex isn't paranoia, it's self-absorption. You can really see it in her post about recreation. She stopped going to cafes for 'me time' because she didn't like the way it made her feel. Not because she thought it was hurting her relationships, or she thought her time could be used better elsewhere, or whatever. On the surface is seems like a pretty minor point, but it's a classic trait of narcissists. I know a narcissist who was berating someone else about needing to change their life. He said, "I used to be late all the time. But I didn't like the way it made me feel about myself, so I decided to stop being late." It's all about Abigail. Literally, all of it.

It takes a pretty high level of narcissism to convert to Catholicism and then start a blog in which you constantly tell people how to be proper Catholics. It also takes a high level of narcissism to believe that every time someone sneezes near you, they're persecuting you. Abigail's martyr complex isn't paranoia, it's self-absorption. You can really see it in her post about recreation. She stopped going to cafes for 'me time' because she didn't like the way it made her feel. Not because she thought it was hurting her relationships, or she thought her time could be used better elsewhere, or whatever. On the surface is seems like a pretty minor point, but it's a classic trait of narcissists. I know a narcissist who was berating someone else about needing to change their life. He said, "I used to be late all the time. But I didn't like the way it made me feel about myself, so I decided to stop being late." It's all about Abigail. Literally, all of it.

QFT.

Okay I feel a little better if she's a convert and not from a bizarre flock of Catholics like this. Totally agree on the scapular thing. My gramma had one, but she was an old school Catholic, came over on the boat from Italy. Didn't wear it, though.

Okay I feel a little better if she's a convert and not from a bizarre flock of Catholics like this. Totally agree on the scapular thing. My gramma had one, but she was an old school Catholic, came over on the boat from Italy. Didn't wear it, though.

I can't remember where I saw this quote or exactly how it goes, but it is something along the lines of converts being the biggest religious fanatics. The cradle Catholics I've always known seem to be more cafeteria style Catholics where as the converts have to follow all the rules to a T.

I know a few life long Catholics who are like Abigail. For awhile, Briana the Catholic blogger who, has three or four adopted kids got on my nerves. Briana is also a convert to Catholicism, but she doesn't have the Super Catholic attitude that Abigail has.

I always feel like I have to apologize on behalf of shitty Catholics. We're really not all bad . . .

I second your apology. We're really not all that bad.

Those silent, hidden actions of a Catholic heart are enough to inspire spitting hatred in my non-Christian block.

This also confuses me. If they're silent and hidden, nobody should know about them. So, isn't she admitting that people give her shit solely based on her personality/face/self righteousness?

And how does she know ALL her neighbors religions? Did she go door to door and ask "Hi, are you a pious awesome superfrantastik catholic woman like me or are you a godless heathen (any other religion than mine)?"

I missed the part about 'spitting hatred'. Nice hyperbole there. :shock: I've never come across someone so desperate to be hated in my life!

So was Mother Teresa more widely hated than I ever realized, or was she just not a good Catholic?

Christopher Hitchens wrote extensively on this. Makes for an interesting read. Try googling Hitchens Mother Teresa, here an article for a start:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... arest.html

(I am not a fan of Hitchens major or Hitchens minor, but both of them had/have the strange talent of sometimes hitting the nail directly on the head.)

Another fundie mother getting all excited about perceived persecution for having a moderately large number of kids. Seriously, five? I grew up like the fifth kid in my best friend's family and no one so much as gave a second look.

Can we add that to the fundie drinking game?

I think most of these fundie mothers secretly enjoy hearing nasty comments about the size of their family, because then they can complain about it.

I look at it this way... I'm a History major. Usually when I mention this to people, they respond with a less-than-positive remark, such as, "What are you going to do with that?" or, "I hate history!" These comments don't bother me in the least because I know people don't really mean anything by it, I know why I majored in History, and I know most people wouldn't enjoy it, which is fine. But suppose I believed that being a History major made me special and holy, and that being persecuted for being a History major would prove how right I was. I would probably interpret all those comments as attacks, I would always be looking and listening to see if people were insulting my major, and maybe I would even go out of my way to make it known that I am a history major, just to elicit more 'hate'.

This is what Abigail does. I've seen her write more than once on her blog about telling people how many kids she has, seemingly for no reason. She wants praise for her family size from those she deems holy, and she wants scorn from all the sinners on her block, because that just reinforces her image of herself as a suffering saint.

I'm a Catholic convert. My Cradle Catholic friends say converts are "better Catholics" because they actually do all the things they are supposed to do because converts choose the faith and Cradle Catholics are just following along because it's all they've ever known. I converted because when I started going to Catholic Mass it made sense to me. I liked the rituals of Mass. I liked how it felt like "home." I also liked that a preacher wasn't up there yelling at me and telling me I was going to hell.

Some converts to take it way too far. They want to be the best at something, so why not be the best Catholic? It might also depend on who was leading the RCIA classes. If you have a person leading the classes with that "I'm the best Catholic ever and all others persecute me because I am so superior" well, that would explain why some converts follow that same path.

I don't think anyone could tell by looking at me that I'm Catholic. I don't wear it above my head like some flashing neon sign.

I want some fundie mommy martyr to tell me how many kids she has expecting praise or persecution and I'll respond "Oh, well *I* have 15 kids." So they won't get the praise and the only persecution they could come up with is that someone with more kids than they did mentioned it.

I look at it this way... I'm a History major. Usually when I mention this to people, they respond with a less-than-positive remark, such as, "What are you going to do with that?" or, "I hate history!" These comments don't bother me in the least because I know people don't really mean anything by it, I know why I majored in History, and I know most people wouldn't enjoy it, which is fine.

History Majors unite!

I have a coworker with a degree in medieval history. Aside from the impossibility of finding a related job with a bachelor's in that, I think it sounds like a fabulously interesting major and have told her so! (Then we commisserated about her student debt. Ouch.)

I won't tell my stepdad's mom, who is a very devout Catholic, that she shouldn't be liked. Because she is a really awesome person and is very well-liked, including by me.

Did you see this in her sidebar?

Mystics Are Perfectly Normal!

"Men who have fallen in love with God are often referred to in the church as "mystics" a term that gives a sort of honor while at the same time effecting a dismissal. Mystic, meaning "inexplicable," which devolves into "unreasonable." Mystic, meaning also "exceptional" as opposed to perfectly normal."

-- John Eldredge, Fathered By God.

Oooooooooooh, you guys!!! She's a MYSTIC!!! :shock:

(We totally need an emoticon of a unicorn farting glitter, just for our speshul snoflehks.)

Did you see this in her sidebar?

Oooooooooooh, you guys!!! She's a MYSTIC!!! :shock:

(We totally need an emoticon of a unicorn farting glitter, just for our speshul snoflehks.)

Granted the tradition in Catholicism might be different, but in Eastern Orthodoxy we like our mystics to live in monasteries as far away from normal people as possible. They expound their cray-cray to the unsuspecting wildlife, and the neighbors remain unharmed. :P

Granted the tradition in Catholicism might be different, but in Eastern Orthodoxy we like our mystics to live in monasteries as far away from normal people as possible. They expound their cray-cray to the unsuspecting wildlife, and the neighbors remain unharmed. :P

I have a feeling that even if she were eligible, convents would be too liberal. I mean...they have [whispers] nuns there! :shhh:

Archived