IGNORED

The rabbi vs Sarah Silverman and her Dad

Witsec7

A rabbi responded to Sarah Silverman's 'Let my people vote"campaign. The rabbi basically said that Sarah should be home birthing babies and submitting to a headship (Orthodox Jewish version in this case). Although Sarah hasn't responded her Dad did.

This is what Donald Silverman had to say to the Rabbi:

Hey asshole: Daughter #1 is a rabbi. Not by your standards. She's reform. How dare she, a lowly woman think god wants her to be a rabbi, created from a mere rib. Her hubby, three times nominated for a nobel peace prize was listed by the Jerusalem Post as the 49th most influential jew in the world built the worlds largest solar field in israel. By the way, Sarah was also on the list. I missed your name. Oldest granddaughter is serving in the Israel Defense Forces. I'm sure you also served.Oh I forgot the orthodox don't do that. You don't fuck with my family.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/1 ... ostpopular

Wow! Just imagine how the world would be if all Dads were as supportive of their daughters' dreams and ambitions as Sarah Silverman's Dad? It just boggles the mind to think of how many potential scientists, doctors and engineers, etc. whose potential will never be reached because of the patriarchy around the world. These are the minds who could cure cancer, colonize Mars, and invent wonders we can't even dream of. I could just cry.

Wow! Just imagine how the world would be if all Dads were as supportive of their daughters' dreams and ambitions as Sarah Silverman's Dad? It just boggles the mind to think of how many potential scientists, doctors and engineers, etc. whose potential will never be reached because of the patriarchy around the world. These are the minds who could cure cancer, colonize Mars, and invent wonders we can't even dream of. I could just cry.

QFT!

Great response!!

I imagine that Obama giggled when he read Mr. Silverman's response and Michelle, Joe and Dr. Jill were just fist pumping :lol: .

Wow, that Roseblatt letter was obnoxious.

I don't think he actually cares if Sarah procreates or not. He doesn't like her or her politics, and instead of focusing on the actual issue, he thinks it would somehow be clever or hurtful to attack her personal life in order to demean and dismiss her.

Epic argument fail results.

Sarah Silverman (and her dad) is more than capable of taking care of herself. I'm worried, though, about the same thing that Rosenblatt claims to be concerned about: he's using religious language from my religion to make an argument that is utterly sexist and which arguably violates Jewish laws on proper speech.

Oh, and if he actually paid attention to the video, he'd realize that "let me people vote" references "let my people go", which is what a leader of an oppressed group (Moses) said to the nasty leader in charge (Pharoah). Coincidentally, G-d later reminds the Jews of this episode in their history, saying that they shouldn't oppress the stranger because they had been strangers in Egypt. So, yeah, fighting for minority rights when the government plans to trample on them - even if it's done with some crude comic language - is indeed a very Jewish thing for Sarah to be doing, and the reference to the 'biblical" language re the exodus from Egypt is absolutely appropriate.

Wow, that Roseblatt letter was obnoxious.

I don't think he actually cares if Sarah procreates or not. He doesn't like her or her politics, and instead of focusing on the actual issue, he thinks it would somehow be clever or hurtful to attack her personal life in order to demean and dismiss her.

I don't think he does either, but the idea he's promoting, of thinking all women both should and should want to procreate makes no sense to me. Why do these people want people who don't want children to have them? Do they think they will have a conversion moment and become excellent parents? Child raising is not for the faint of heart and if Sarah doesn't want to enter into a lifetime contract, who is he to say that she should because it is the only way she will be fullfilled? She seems happy enough to me!

There is no logic to Rosenblatt's rant. It's just "a woman like you is only talking about politics because you are a bitter, barren shrew".

Can we call this an "ad feminem" attack?

What a badass. Also, that rabbi is a dick. This is why i'm only a cultural Jew. Because the orthodox community's archaic view on women is totally reprehensible.

There is no logic to Rosenblatt's rant. It's just "a woman like you is only talking about politics because you are a bitter, barren shrew".

Can we call this an "ad feminem" attack?

We most certainly can!

Brilliant, counselor --- I'm gonna steal that, hope you don't mind.

**applause**

We most certainly can!

Brilliant, counselor --- I'm gonna steal that, hope you don't mind.

**applause**

Steal away!

"Ad feminem" - a technique of responding to an argument presented by a woman by attacking not the position, but the woman herself by using sexist language, making comments about her sexual status/behavior or insisting that she should be cooking/cleaning/baby making/having sex with her husband instead of engaging in a logical argument.

Calling Sandra Fluke a slut is an obvious example.

I also had someone respond to my arguments with "GO BACK TO YOUR KITCHEN YOU DUMB BITCH"

Steal away!

"Ad feminem" - a technique of responding to an argument presented by a woman by attacking not the position, but the woman herself by using sexist language, making comments about her sexual status/behavior or insisting that she should be cooking/cleaning/baby making/having sex with her husband instead of engaging in a logical argument.

Calling Sandra Fluke a slut is an obvious example.

I also had someone respond to my arguments with "GO BACK TO YOUR KITCHEN YOU DUMB BITCH"

and I'm sure you changed your position right away in response to such clear and obvious logic. :roll:

ad feminem is a standard weapon used by religious conservatives.

another example: "Why don't you put out your cigar, shut your Hollywood movies off, put away your favorite beer, find a good Christian man to marry, have some babies, and get a real life!"

source: http://www.bobgraysr.com/2012/10/jeri-massi-liar-liar-pants-on-fire.html it's a fundy preacher mad at a presbyterian woman for daring to challenge his authoritah.

[nitpicky]It should actually be "ad feminam.". Three years of high school Latin won't shut up. [/nitpicky]

Archived