emmiedahl

Anyone else see this? I took my kids and it was worthy of being the first movie I have seen in a theater in almost two years (if I am remembering right, the last one was Eclipse, which was 2 years ago this November I think?).

I took my 5 yo, 8 yo, and 10 yo. We are all big Tim Burton fans so I was surprised that my youngest was scared when

Spoiler

Turtlezilla came out. He was big and scary! The cat-bat freaked her out also.

The subversive takedown of Creationism was amazing. At least, that is how my sister and I both saw it. Thank you, Tim Burton, for saying it. Or having the science teacher say it at least!

edited to change theory to theater. I was doing homework in another window and must have had theory on the brain!

Awesome. As a fellow Tim Burton fan, I'm glad to hear this. I've been contemplating going to see it for some time, so I'll take your recommendation as worthy of the extra money being spent. :D

Some great quotes from the movie:

"They like what science gives them, but not the questions science asks."

“Ladies and gentlemen, I think the problem here is… you are all very ignorant.â€

The movie is done in stop motion, which is impressive and makes it feel more real that the digital Tim Burton movies. I thought it would have been better in color, but the black and white definitely goes with the creepy feeling.

It's not Nightmare Before Christmas, but nothing is, ya know? I think that was a one-time bit of brilliance.

I haven't seen the remake yet (yes, the stop motion version is a remake), but I saw the live action short a few years ago and it was AWESOME!! I always wanted to show it to my neighbor who has a bull terrier IRL. It, too, was shot in black and white.

My doxie, OTOH, wants to know why a movie called Frankenweenie doesn't star a weiner dog. She's kinda pissed about that.

I love Tim Burton and now I'm dying to see that movie. I wonder if I can get anyone to go see it with me. It's a kids movie, but everybody loves Tim Burton.

• 2 weeks later...
Some great quotes from the movie:

"They like what science gives them, but not the questions science asks."

“Ladies and gentlemen, I think the problem here is… you are all very ignorant.â€

The movie is done in stop motion, which is impressive and makes it feel more real that the digital Tim Burton movies. I thought it would have been better in color, but the black and white definitely goes with the creepy feeling.

It's not Nightmare Before Christmas, but nothing is, ya know? I think that was a one-time bit of brilliance.

The reason nothing can quite be Nightmare Before Christmas is because Henry Selick directed it not Tim Burton. ;) I think Henry made some very good decisions with Tim Burton's story and ideas. The issues show up in Corpse Bride a lot. I do love Tim Burton's push with stop animation, it is amazing how far his work has pushed the medium. I have a love/hate relationship with Burton's work, he is either great or pretty bad. I think he needs to go back to more original material, and less Johnny and Helena. I am looking forward to Frakenweenie though, it looks like ot could be good.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved it, and so did the kids aged 8, 7 and 5. I even watched it - I'm often guilty of reading on the iPad when I take the kids to see kids movies, and the headship came, which has never happened for a kids movie unless he was the adult in charge of the expedition.

It got the balance between the adult and child audiences just right, the way all kids movies try to but very few do.

Tim Burton usually has the magic touch, and he didn't let us down.

Archived