IGNORED

The word "worship"

deelaem

I gotta say, I really have a hard time with this word/concept, and not just because I'm a non-theist. I just don't understand why anyone would think that a supposed divine and perfect being would need to be worshiped. To me, worshiping is akin to blind obedience, and why would a perfect being require that of its creations? Perfection has no needs, and it has no ego. And it's the needy ego that seems to need worship. So why would you call your spiritual practices "worship"?

It seems as though Gothard followers worship him. And we all know that it's a very sick thing. I'm having a hard time explaining why the concept of worship bugs me so much, but I feel like it smacks of cult behavior, and not a loving relationship with your Higher Power.

Any thoughts?

I've often wondered the same thing. Why is it egotistical for HUMANS to be worshipped and bowed down to, etc... but not God? I think that the Bible makes God out to be a lot more human than he is... yes we were made in his image, but why would the all powerful, perfect, loving being have emotions such as jealousy and anger?

I had a satisfactory answer given to me once.... only now I don't remember what it was. You'd think I'd remember something like that hahaha

I believe God was created in the image of man.

Worship is also a rather strange concept to me. I left Christianity (fundie-lite) five years ago, and 'worship' just isn't the same anymore. Yes, it does smack of cultist behavior. It's fanaticism of one person/being, and is not a loving relationship at all. it's not at all equal.

Bishop Shelby Spong has some wonderful things to say about this concept of worship. Clearly I can't remember then in any coherent form at the moment, as I'm just having my first coffee of the morning, and typing on my iPad sucks. Anyway, he is my personal favorite religious dude. Oh, and Jim Wallis.

Archived