IGNORED

"How to Get Away with Rape" Posted in College Dorm

Alecto

Expose the HELL out of this guy, if they find him. I'm sorry, but things like this enrage me too.

People post stuff like that because we live in a rape culture and so it's seen as "normal" and "can't you take a joke?" and yet they still usually want that sort of "it's just a joke, you know, between me and my bros" to be kept separate from their actual name and reputation when they go to apply for jobs or whatever. Well, FUCK that noise. If someone manages to ID the poster I say let them spread that stink far and wide.

Universities often do little to fight rape culture not entirely out of ignorance, but also the fear for their image and reputation. Given that at a lot of schools women outnumber men, you do not want to be known as the 'rape school'. If there were 27 reported assaults, imagine how many went unreported because the victims figured nothing would be done anyway and they would be blamed.

Unfortunately, this means that said unis are putting a majority of their students in danger.

Expose the HELL out of this guy, if they find him. I'm sorry, but things like this enrage me too.

People post stuff like that because we live in a rape culture and so it's seen as "normal" and "can't you take a joke?" and yet they still usually want that sort of "it's just a joke, you know, between me and my bros" to be kept separate from their actual name and reputation when they go to apply for jobs or whatever. Well, FUCK that noise. If someone manages to ID the poster I say let them spread that stink far and wide.

This. It doesn't matter if it was a joke. It is absolutely not okay, and the guy who posted it is a Certified Sick Fuck.

As a University student, I would say this sadly typical. My University does have flyers around with numbers you can call for support, they advertize a specialized self defense class against sexual assault and they have flyers around that have anti rape slogans on them which I do think is helpful but it doesn't do enough. According to a women's group on campus there were reported rapes in residences last year and the student body was not alerted. They are business and seem to care more about protecting their money than the young women that attend.

I hope he is found out and publicly held accountable and shamed for this.

Universities often do little to fight rape culture not entirely out of ignorance, but also the fear for their image and reputation. Given that at a lot of schools women outnumber men, you do not want to be known as the 'rape school'. If there were 27 reported assaults, imagine how many went unreported because the victims figured nothing would be done anyway and they would be blamed.

Unfortunately, this means that said unis are putting a majority of their students in danger.

I hate saying this, but in some cases, they're very right.

Amherst College, one of the consistently top-ranked colleges in the country, has only ever expelled one student for rape in its nearly 200-year history.

And unless there's a serious plan developed to address rape culture in universities and how it's excused, I don't know that it's going to change. We have a better enforcement system against cheating in college sports than we do rape in colleges.

I must say though probably tongue in cheek and please keep in mind I've had a few beers but part of me wonders just what would happen if someone put up some similar flyers explaining how someone might have some fun "Bobbitizing" random males. Get them drunk with roofies, a quick knife, and off with Mr Happy!

...which is horrifying to contemplate, don't get me wrong, but I wonder just how many of the people who think the "what, don't be so offended, it's all in FUN don't harsh my mellow" people who usually crawl out of the woodwork to defend heinous rape jokes would think about it. If maiming is too far, well, we can talk about anal rape maybe.

But back to a more serious note...

I hope he is found out and publicly held accountable and shamed for this.

This. At a minimum, whoever posted this needs to be exposed and face social sanctions. Because so much of this crap happens behind a veil of wink wink nod nod, where it's 100% okay to shame and harass women, but not okay to expose the men doing it because goodness, they have reputations don't you know!!!

Well, fuck 'em. Shine some sunshine in there and let it spread far and wide, this guy is a rape apologist and a skeeze of the first order.

It's probably someone's idea of a joke done in poor taste. I think it's horrible and I hope they find the person who did this and publicly out him. There's a guy who needs to spend some time at a victim's shelter. It's a sad reminder that even in this day and age, some people are still so flippant about rape.

Guest Anonymous

Could there be any possibility, no matter how slight, that this was done to get people talking about this? The wording of #10 on that list just sounds like it's meant to rile people up. It's not written like a bad joke, and only someone who should be locked up in a mental ward would think this is a legitimate how-to. A feminist activist friend of mine suggested this.

Guest Anonymous
Could there be any possibility, no matter how slight, that this was done to get people talking about this? The wording of #10 on that list just sounds like it's meant to rile people up. It's not written like a bad joke, and only someone who should be locked up in a mental ward would think this is a legitimate how-to. A feminist activist friend of mine suggested this.

You really ping my trolldar.

I actually didn't read the list (couldn't see it) first...but I enlarged my browser to look at it. Number 9, never give your number or take pictures kind of makes it seem like a joke. And the overall tone seems exaggerated and not serious. I hope it was a terrible joke or a deliberate satire. But it's sort of inconclusive. I don't know I'd like to think feminists could come up with better ways to make the point. We're not that stupid or crass I don't think.

Gil's mention of Amherst College struck up a bad memory for me.

Colleges certainly hide assults and rapes. I went to a very liberal all women's college. I finished up my semester a few days early and left for home. I was really surprised to hear a good friend of mine would not be coming back the next semester. She had been raped by a student from a local ivy league school right before break. I was shocked at a college that screamed women's rights to do anything would not help her and took down posters that she and others had put up(turns out he assulted at least 3 other women). Both colleges wanted to keep it quiet(they offered free consueling/medical care even abortion if needed). They wanted parents to thinks they were spending big bucks to send thier daughters to a beautiful safe campus. I even traveled over 2000 miles during break to try and convince her to come back and stay with me and finish school. She was a junior with a full scholarship but she did not come back. This has always made me so mad at the college I attended. When people ask where I went to college I always say my graduate school.

If so then a similar piece about how to victimize men should be just the ticket to get them also talking.

If so then a similar piece about how to victimize men should be just the ticket to get them also talking.

That would have actually been an effective means of satire.

Sadly, as a residence hall employee at a large university, I have to agree with xDreamerx and say that this doesn't surprise me one bit. It's disturbing how many young men (young women too) are just so oblivious to the fact that rape is an actual problem. I have never, even as an employee, received a warning about rapes in my area, although I have read about them in the university newspaper. I have received warnings, however about thefts of wallets. Which is obviously more important.

Guest Anonymous

That would have actually been an effective means of satire.

It's gotten people talking. What my friend said is sometimes marketing isn't about making a product look good, but to get people to talk about the product so there's brand awareness. We all know there's a problem with the severity of rape being downplayed, and a poster like this is almost guaranteed to make the news and get people talking more about how deplorable it is.

Dreamer, she didn't say she thinks a feminist came up with it, just that she's wondering if whoever did this did it as a way to get people to talk to talk more about the issue. because that's just exactly what it did.

Lissar, that's your issue, not mine. I'm not a troll, just stating what a friend of mine who is heavily involved in activism for feminist issues said. She made good point about how it could be. It's not written to be serious. Slitting a throat to keep a victim quiet? But it's not written like a joke either. Slitting a throat to keep a victim quiet! It's got people talking, and that's good. This was posted on a campus averaging almost an assault a month during the in-session and that's just what's reported. That school can't ignore this issue anymore. If the point was to get people talking, t's been very effective.

Guest Anonymous
Lissar, that's your issue, not mine. I'm not a troll, just stating what a friend of mine who is heavily involved in activism for feminist issues said. She made good point about how it could be. It's not written to be serious. Slitting a throat to keep a victim quiet? But it's not written like a joke either. Slitting a throat to keep a victim quiet! It's got people talking, and that's good. This was posted on a campus averaging almost an assault a month during the in-session and that's just what's reported. That school can't ignore this issue anymore. If the point was to get people talking, t's been very effective.

Yep, my opinion, my issue, I own it. You have some regular posts and then you come out with weird stuff like "what does this forum think about issue X?" and "a bunch of feminazis said accused rapists shoudn't get trials" and now we have "my feminist friend said a poster about how to rape women could be the work of feminists." It's weird.

I think you're being flippant in regards to the bolded. Rapists do sometimes slit their victims throats. It's certainly not funny and I do find that serious. I would hope that a feminist would not write something with that kind of potential to freak out women who have already been raped. I would have felt sick and unsafe if I had come across that poster.

This is utterly disgusting. And, living on a college campus, it makes me wonder about the men I see every day - and whether they might have had the same thoughts. You can't trust anyone.

There have been three sexual assaults reported on my small public school college campus in the last three weeks. The only reason I know is because a friend of mine works for OPS. Our school does nothing to inform people of things like this.

It doesn't surprise me in the least. There is a specific street near ours that posted huge banners on the corner with signs like "dads, drop off your freshmen daughters here" and "free roofies" on the first week of school this semester.

It made me want to puke. The school said they couldn't do anything about it since the street isn't technically on campus. These guys were hooting and laughing like animals as they held up the banners. Worst yet, there were a flock of young women hanging out with them, giggling about their male friend's cute little joke.

It's so disgusting. Why would someone think it's funny, unless they actually think rape is okay?

I think this is common in colleges. There are some colleges here in Sydney which have a very pro-rape culture. One of them made a facebook group. It's disgusting and makes me angry, particularly because the colleges are generally for privileged peoples, at very good unis, so those will be the judges and politicians and doctors of the future. I really hope they find the person in this case. They should put more effort into tracking them down because I suspect it would only be a token effort.

I'm not really a fan of same-sex education but it does make you wonder why the women are still there. I'd be terrified and angry.

In fact in general a lot of women in colleges seem to put up with these things because it's uni life or whatever. I knew some friends who were more tolerant than they would have been otherwise when people in colleges made comments or did things. They would have found it unacceptable in other circumstances. My friend also met some girls from the pro-rape Sydney Uni college shortly after it became a scandal and apparently they were defending it and trying to justify it.

Guest Anonymous

Yep, my opinion, my issue, I own it. You have some regular posts and then you come out with weird stuff like "what does this forum think about issue X?" and "a bunch of feminazis said accused rapists shoudn't get trials" and now we have "my feminist friend said a poster about how to rape women could be the work of feminists." It's weird.

I think you're being flippant in regards to the bolded. Rapists do sometimes slit their victims throats. It's certainly not funny and I do find that serious. I would hope that a feminist would not write something with that kind of potential to freak out women who have already been raped. I would have felt sick and unsafe if I had come across that poster.

When it really happens, it's serious. I'm saying I don't think that list is meant to be taken seriously. I don't think the person behind it is really advocating murder.

Also show me where I suggest a feminist wrote it. What I said is an activist friend of mine involved in promoting feminist issues suggested that whoever is behind it, and no one knows who, might have done it to get people talking because it's not funny, and is written in a way that doesn't look like it can be taken seriously because of the murder method on it.

What's wrong with wanting to know where a forum stands on an issue because of what I saw happen on another forum where a lot of people had a really extreme view?

Guest Anonymous
When it really happens, it's serious. I'm saying I don't think that list is meant to be taken seriously. I don't think the person behind it is really advocating murder.

Also show me where I suggest a feminist wrote it. What I said is an activist friend of mine involved in promoting feminist issues suggested that whoever is behind it, and no one knows who, might have done it to get people talking because it's not funny, and is written in a way that doesn't look like it can be taken seriously because of the murder method on it.

What's wrong with wanting to know where a forum stands on an issue because of what I saw happen on another forum where a lot of people had a really extreme view?

Fair enough, you did not specifically say that a feminist wrote it. When you said that your feminist activist friend suggested it was done to get people talking, I interpreted it that way. I can't really dig into the not taking the list seriously because of throat slitting thing. I think that someone probably wrote that because they did think it was funny, but I have seen and heard so much ugly, scary, and gross stuff along those lines that I have no trouble believing some people think that way.

What's wrong with wanting to know where this particular forum stands on an issue is that there is no consensus on this forum. We are not a hive vagina, everyone has their own opinon.

This is disgusting.

When it happen to me, my college did everything to "keep" me happy. It just happened last semester, they were going to send out a campus alert but they didn't have details and my therapist thought it would be too triggering for me but now I wonder if it was to keep it quiet.

One of my profs suggested I took a medical leave and quit midsemester. I wouldn't have come back at all and would have wasted all the money I would have spent.

Archived