IGNORED

United Bates of America Canceled!

Visionoyahweh

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't surprise me. I didn't see the show, but why would TLC need two versions of the same show? A show about a large, atheist family? Large Pagan family? Large anything besides Gothard family? I might watch those, but not another white washed, large Gothard family, living in the boonies, being ignorant? Hell no.

:dance: As a wise man once said, "suffer in your jocks, fundies".

I have no idea what this means, but it's fucking brilliant. :clap:

I think its because its pretty much the same as 19 Kids and Counting.

It would be interesting to see a large family on TV who arent fundies, or are at least not Christian. I remember a few years ago, a girl I went to school with was on TV with her large family, she was the second or third child of about 12. Her family was Muslim, but sorta fundie.

This sucks. I liked the Bates a lot more than the Duggars. They seemed more human somehow.

I agree with this. I now hope that the next season of 19kac is the farewell season.

I think in the long run they have done the Bateses a massive favour. They may have made money out of the show but I can't believe they would want to end up on the same level of fame as the Duggars, with every birth, courtship and marriage made public property. May the Bates family now sink slowly back into obscurity.

This is great news! It will never rule out the possibility of VSEs in the future, but it shows TLC that it isnt that the audience wants "wholesome" families. The Duggars grew on people (who didnt google them) over the years and are seem as cute and harmless on their wild and krazy adventures. The Bates family is at the same place, but without the relationship with the audience. Regardless, TLC needs to realize that people wont just watch anyone in a frumper, we're on to that game. Cancel them all!

Using the HBB numbers they may have pulled 5k/show, leaving about 40k in profit. Thats money gives them something to stabilize the family and take the load off Lawson. Hopefully it works out for the kids in the end.

I think TLC is over "wholesome families" phase. They don't promote 19kac that much. Their main focuses seem to be every other show except 19kac. They tried out the Bates show and they didn't get the ratings that they wanted. 19kac ratings are a bit low.

In the Uk, the Bates series has not been shown on Discovery Home and Health though from a Snarky point of view I would like to see it.

On the Dugger front, the trip to the UK and Israel / Palestine was shown and a few episodes post that, but nothing at present.

I want to see if Stevie Maxwell's visit to the Duggers was featured. Hi Stevie! :violin:

This is great news! It will never rule out the possibility of VSEs in the future, but it shows TLC that it isnt that the audience wants "wholesome" families. The Duggars grew on people (who didnt google them) over the years and are seem as cute and harmless on their wild and krazy adventures. The Bates family is at the same place, but without the relationship with the audience. Regardless, TLC needs to realize that people wont just watch anyone in a frumper, we're on to that game. Cancel them all!

Using the HBB numbers they may have pulled 5k/show, leaving about 40k in profit. Thats money gives them something to stabilize the family and take the load off Lawson. Hopefully it works out for the kids in the end.

I also think it's partly because in the initial specials the Duggars still seemed "off" from mainstream - matching frumpers, bad hair, etc. They appeared so different from the rest of society. Even where they are now, I think they're only still on because they at least started off with the appearance of being so different. The Bates' have already changed too much from the first time they were seen with the Duggars there's nothing left to show (plus yeah, they're just like the Duggars so who really gives a shit?).

It doesn't help that the parents in both families are at the end of their childbearing "season of life." No Baby #20 means no episodes about pregnancy, childbirth, fixing up the nursery, picking a name, etc. TLC has an entire series about pregnancy and childbirth, so there must be an audience for it. I'm not into that type of thing myself-- IMO, delivery room scenes are gross and an invasion of privacy-- but I can understand why other people might want to watch, especially at the end when the featured family has their new baby. Listening to fortysomething-year-olds like Michelle Duggar or Kelly Bates talking about their miscarriages does not make for good television. Too depressing. TLC could make up for it if the older kids were dating, getting married, having babies, going to college, or starting careers, but that's not happening to anyone but Josh. And even he seems stuck in a rut.

In the Uk, the Bates series has not been shown on Discovery Home and Health though from a Snarky point of view I would like to see it.

On the Dugger front, the trip to the UK and Israel / Palestine was shown and a few episodes post that, but nothing at present.

I want to see if Stevie Maxwell's visit to the Duggers was featured. Hi Stevie! :violin:

Steve-o would NEVER consent to be filmed unless he could get in a plug for HIS cult. That said, I went through the Duggar picasa page for the graduation and I didn't see the TLC crew. The Duggars probably nixed this since they used to brag about their kids "graduating" at 16, but Jinger was 18 1/2. I guess Jessa was schooled with Jill, and left Jinger two years behind to be taught on the same grade level as Joe. They didn't have the bank of computers then (hell, all I remember in the early specials was ONE clunky old computer with one of those HUGE 90's monitors. Mullet was supposedly still teaching them all and had the young Howlers to deal with as well (I guess Jana was pulled out of class at 10 to babysit them). At any rate, that was before Switched on Schoolhouse; their "education" at that point was pure Wisdom Book.

That's not surprising to me at all. They are the exact replica of the Duggars but with a twang. Unless if Kelly announced she was pregnant with #20, the show was pretty much doomed from the get go.

I agree with this. I now hope that the next season of 19kac is the farewell season.

Yeah, the Bateses are so much better because they because they beat children, mooch of them, and deny them quality education, but they're more human when they do it. :roll:

Well they do seem to know them better, as in, they can write a three sentence description per kid not a one sentence personality trait and birth. :roll: (She likes pickles! He's so energetic!)

EDIT for riffles.

Yeah, the Bateses are so much better because they because they beat children, mooch of them, and deny them quality education, but they're more human when they do it. :roll:

There are things I don't like about the Bateses. But there is something about them seems a bit more likable to me than the Duggars.

I wonder if the new church was the fallback plan? The timing of its creation and the cancellation of the show seems to be more than coincidence. Or maybe god warned Gil that a new shtick was needed?

Archived