IGNORED

United Bates of America Canceled!

Visionoyahweh

I read an article by a Gawker writer who spent the day with the Honey Boo Boo family. June turns out to be a pretty insightful person. A quote:

http://jezebel.com/5946021/a-portrait-o ... ey-boo-boo

Also, from the article, it sounds like they turned down an offer by TLC to build them a new house. While they've put some of the money towards a car and a new four-wheeler, the rest is going into trust funds for the kids. Sugar Bear is still working (when he's not in the hospital getting treated for a leg injury).

A lot of people think the Thompson family is awful and they're being exploited. I don't think so, and you know, I like them. They're honest about who they are. They're not trying to impress us with their piety and all that, like a certain family with 19 offspring. And Alana herself has a lot of spark in her.

Edited to fix a grammar boo boo.

I love them too! You're right, they are honest about who they are. Thank you for the link to the article. I had no idea that TLC wanted to build them a house. Wow, they turned it down. Just makes me love them more. They are so real and genuine. They're also funny as all heck.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kate plus 8 didn't have ratings as low as the Duggars before it got cancelled

Actually Kate did drop as low as the recent Duggar episodes a few episodes that last season. She wasn't able to linger as long at the low ratings as the Duggars probably due to Kate making more per episode.

I'll admit I would rather see another season of the Bates then the Duggars. I wonder if that tell all Kate Gosselin book that came out is making TLC move away from the family shows or at least the shows with young kids.

I think Honey Boo Boo is a good indicator that they aren't concerned about exploiting young kids (and trying to do it on the cheap.)

United Bates was unspeakably boring, and they weren't anywhere near as snarkable as the Duggars because they are still untainted by the real world and celebrity. It had no chance out of the gate, and whoever pitched it should be fired immediately.

The ratings are looking pretty bad for the Duggars. I can't see them being kept around much longer and wouldn't be shocked if they simply go on hiatus after these last few episodes, never to return as a regular show. I can see some Very Special specials as the years go on, though. People like to see what's become of the kids they used to watch, especially when those kids are being raised in less than ordinary circumstances.

theologygeek,

You would LOVE my kids! :D

eta: (That was in response to you saying you love sassy kids. I didn't realize so many people posted after that!)

Guest Anonymous

I think TLC is moving more toward the white-trash class of reality shows. Honey Boo-Boo is the newest craze and is the very opposite of the Duggars. 19KAC is likely to be toast after this season unless there's a pregnancy by an unmarried regular on the show.

Tell 'em they're dreaming. (Castle FTW indeed!)

bwahaha

'Mum said it was funny how one day you're not famous, and the next day you are. Famous. And then you're not again.'

How appropriate.

Bailey Baylee Bayley Bailee Baylie Bailie Bayleigh Baileigh Baylea Bailea Baily Baelee Baeley Baelie Baeleigh Beylee Beylea Baelea Beyleigh will ALL be so upsets!!!!!!

:-( :cry:

I can see this. Taking a page out of the Jim Boob Duggar tax deduction playbook isn't a far stretch at all. But also, Gil can preach more Gothard and less whatever IFB preaches. As I noted before, I don't think there' much oversight in that "denomination." Not to mention, Nathan, the wanna-be preacher at Clown College, can guest-preach and record it for his final exams. :roll:

There is NO oversight whatsoever in IFB churches. Each building is an entity in and of itself, the senior pastor answers to no one (well, no one but God :roll: ). That's why you can ask 3 Baptists a question about the Bible and get 5 different answers. Even the SBC is merely an "association" and not much in the way of oversight.

One of the leghumpers on the 19K&C page is choosing not to believe that the show is being cancelled because there is only one article about it and it is not on the TLC page. Because TLC always makes a big announcement when an 8-episode show is cancelled. Also, Kelly posted a bunch of comments in response to people on their blog, saying that TLC isn't planning on filming them anymore.

I have to wonder if the Bateseseses decided it just wasn't all that fun having a camera crew follow you around all the time. Yes, in a lot of ways their show ws just another 19K&C show that TLC didn't really need, but I don't get the famewhore (or fame- whatever is PC) vibe from them. Without your life on camera, you don't have to deal with critics, don'tcha know? You can beat your babies with plumbing line whenever you think they need it and you don't have to wrack your brain to come up with alternative on-camera discipline.

I'm laughing my asp off at the leghumpers wonderment. It's like they don't know that TV is a for profit business. And Bayley back peddling reasons and excuses from her secret informants. :lol:

I'm laughing my asp off at the leghumpers wonderment. It's like they don't know that TV is a for profit business. And Bayley back peddling reasons and excuses from her secret informants. :lol:

Fundie Christian Leghumpers: B-b-but, we thought that TLC was the worldly minstering channel! We wanted to hypocritically use TV to collect more members for our cult!1111!11! Why didn't it work?

I wonder if TLC sees both families as liabilities after Josie and the miscarriage fiasco. They started to let things slip off of the editing room floor after the 8's mom showed her true colors.

The biggest difference between the Duggars and the Bates:

Duggars have grown up on tv. Everyone who watches the show have seen how they've progressed. They have seen each kid grow up to where they are today, and Jackson on down have been birthed on the show. Not to mention all of the people that are hoping most of them can get out of that cult, especially the Jslaves.

The Bates: well they're just one of the Duggars large family friends. No one knows them, and no one really cares...

... I do hope their kids can get out too tho. I felt very angry when I watched their training video on you tube. (The grocery store clip)

Archived