IGNORED

The "Mentor" On Holding Hands and Wearing Your Wedding Rings

QFT. I seriously BEGGED my parents to get divorced when I was 10. Life was hell when they were together. They were wonderful people in a shitty marriage.

Same here - although my parents were never married, they were in a relationship until I was about 20. I spent most of my teen years asking my mom why she stuck with my dad when she was so miserable.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I wear my rings all the time but that's because I'm a jewelry whore. It has no meaning to me and we didn't even get engaged with rings. I've just acquired a bunch along the way during 12 years of marriage. It doesn't make us any more or less married, and this is why I get so annoyed when I read the indignant "you're an ungrateful twat" posts on WeddingBee about ladies that *gasp* dare to take their rings off after the wedding.

Agree. Some of the posts on weddingbee are just so ugh!

I just wanted to let everyone know what awesome speshul snowflakes my fiancé and I are. My engagement ring is a bit too big, but I don't want to resize it because my fingers swell like no tomorrow, so I'm getting a second (cheap) band to use as a "stopper" when my engagement ring is loose. That means I'll have two wedding rings. Our marriage is going to be just so special and better than everyone else's with 0-1 wedding rings. I plan to start blogging the week after the wedding on how to have a successful marriage. I'm sure everyone will read because my two rings I'll make it obvious how blessed and speshul our marriage is!

Dear Lori: I hate PDAs so watching you and your spouse hold hands, with or without rings makes me want to barf. You are one brainwashed woman and I wouldn't care except you seem to think you have something important to share with the world. Guess what -- you don't. You don't know anymore about what makes a successful marriage than I do.

Her wanting to mentor other women makes me want to gag. And I'd be willing to bet a lot that our marriage, even though we don't wear wedding rings, is a lot happier than hers.

Dear Lori: I hate PDAs so watching you and your spouse hold hands, with or without rings makes me want to barf. You are one brainwashed woman and I wouldn't care except you seem to think you have something important to share with the world. Guess what -- you don't. You don't know anymore about what makes a successful marriage than I do.

About PDAs: There's a nice couple at my church, happily married 30+ years, but don't do that "joined at the hip" thing--both are independent. Then imagine my friend's surprise when, at a church event, she walked into what she thought was an empty room and found them hugging and kissing. See, Lori, you don't have to parade it around in order to have a good marriage.

Both Ex-Mr.-Hanes and I were big into the PDAs and holding hands--and look where that got us.

What would she say to Mennonites and Amish who believe jewelry of any kind (especially wedding rings) will send you to hell?

I didn't wear a ring the first 5 years of marriage and my husband hates PDA. One of my most PDA friends who both wore wedding rings, got divorced before their 5th anniversary. So based on this, then people who wear rings and do PDA stuff, are on the verge of divorce!!!11111eleventy

I hate it when people make absolutes out of their experience and very small frame of reference. :twisted:

So we're just supposed to be happy and grateful every time we're interrupted? I hate to disappoint this lady, but learning not to interrupt anybody starts around preschool..

So we're just supposed to be happy and grateful every time we're interrupted? I hate to disappoint this lady, but learning not to interrupt anybody starts around preschool..

Her wanting to mentor other women makes me want to gag. And I'd be willing to bet a lot that our marriage, even though we don't wear wedding rings, is a lot happier than hers.

Lori has already mentored other women and that makes me gag. She has also talked her mentoring experiences a few times before. She and her husband have mentored couples through their church. There is a recent blog posting in which she mentioned that there have been couples who have rejected her and Ken as mentors. She also said that several women have rejected her advice. I'm glad that some people have rejected her shitty advice. A lot of her blog postings me gag for several reasons, but her blog makes me laugh at at times. She is pretty full of herself and the things she says about her husband never come off as wonderful or loving. The way she brags up her kids is annoying.

Same here - although my parents were never married, they were in a relationship until I was about 20. I spent most of my teen years asking my mom why she stuck with my dad when she was so miserable.

I'd like to add an "Amen" to everyone's comments here. Sometimes divorce really IS thinking about the children.....

Archived