IGNORED

40 K Moms Targeting ABC Family Pilot About A Lesbian Couple

lilwriter85

I wonder how long it will take before they ban me from their facebook page? I've just reminded them that their TVs have an 'off' button.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No surprises here. Beginning in 1984, there was a delightful little family dramedy called "Kate and Allie," about two women - friends from childhood - sharing a house and raising their combined broods together.

Jane Curtin and Susan Saint James were the leads, and wiki tells me it ran much longer than I remembered (I'm not much of a TV watcher)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_%26_Allie

Why it's no surprise to me that 40k Moms would fuss about a lesbian-based show: There was a big to-do when a scene showed that Kate and Allie shared a bedroom with a full-size bed. Really.

LOL they've obviously never watched Degrassi if they think a Target ad could be corrupting the minds of a Degrassi viewer...

They pushed Target to pull their ads because of the Degrassi storyline that involved a transgendered character.

I wonder how long it will take before they ban me from their facebook page? I've just reminded them that their TVs have an 'off' button.

I'm willing to bet that some or possibly half of the 40 k moms don't have cable or satellite. Some of the things they bitch about are things that they don't see because they don't have access to certain channels.

I'm seriously predicting they'll pull a Todd Flanders next and try to launch a boycott of Sesame Street because they think talking animals are blasphemous.

And I agree with what's been said above. Don't like a tv show? THEN DON'T WATCH IT! Trying to boycott any tv show featuring ~the gayz~ will not make gay people go away, and it seems like that's what they think will happen.

Edited because I had an extra question mark in there.

Why it's no surprise to me that 40k Moms would fuss about a lesbian-based show: There was a big to-do when a scene showed that Kate and Allie shared a bedroom with a full-size bed. Really.

I remember that show! But I don't ever recall them sharing a bedroom. I think one of them got married at the end of the show's run, and both of them dated. I wouldn't think a lesbian couple would make it past the censors in the 80s.

I remember that show! But I don't ever recall them sharing a bedroom. I think one of them got married at the end of the show's run, and both of them dated. I wouldn't think a lesbian couple would make it past the censors in the 80s.

I don't remembering their sharing a bedroom either, unless it was a temporary thing for one episode.

I do remember an episode in which someone (who was a lesbian, if I remember correctly) assumed they were a couple.

ETA -- found it. They pretend to be a couple, because their landlady wants to increase their rent, due to their being more than one family.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0618732/

yDZ7WQpboF8

• 6 months later...

I was watching ABC Family earlier and I saw a promo for The Fosters. OMM will make probably making the media rounds about the premiere soon. I don't think their attempted boycotts will help much since ABC Family has other shows that feature lesbian characters.

I really need the family in this show not to be called the Fosters. A family that fosters kids whose surname is Foster? Lame. But I have a sneaking suspicion that that's exactly what this is. That would be my only problem with this new show.

It reminds me of the book (and subsequent TV movie Ellen Foster, in which an unwanted child finds a home with a foster family, and thinks that their surname is Foster.

Oh, and the 40K would blow a lobe over In Our Mothers' House, about a female couple and their adopted children.

Contact ABC Family and tell them that OMM do not speak for everyone!

Contact ABC Family and tell them that OMM do not speak for everyone!

I think ABC Family will get letters or forms of contact in supporting them. I mentioned before, I doubt that 40 k moms are watching that channel. Nothing on that channel would completely satisfy conservative Christian mommies. The only show that 40 k mom types would be ok with is Switched at Birth. But Switched at Birth has featured teen sex storylines and one of the adult characters is an atheist.

Thoughtful, I LOVE how you fix quotes, and every time I see your avatar I want to stroke your ridges.

Aw, thanks -- I learned from the best (other FJers!).

And, really, those are St. Alan's ridges (well, St. Alan as Sir Alexander Dane as Dr. Lazarus).

I have boringly smooth temples, with hair. :D

• 2 months later...

Just saw that the show will premier in June. The trailers look pretty good, well good for abc family anyway.

Edited for spellin'

Ugh, this reminds me of a rather unpleasant exchange I recently shared with my father. You would never tell from this story, but he is usually a pretty reasonable guy, for a republican at least.

PapaWhat: Why is it that all your generation wants to talk about is gay people and whether they should get married? That so does not affect my life. I'll continue to base my beliefs on 6000 years of Judeo-Christian values.

DrWhat: Goes off on rant about the history of homosexual sex and the myth that it is a new invention.

PapaWhat: I don't mind lesbians, though. It's just the really butch ones that offend me.

DrWhat: That statement is proof-positive that you are justifying your own personal feelings of bigotry by pointing to a book that was also used to rationalize slavery for centuries. Hate whomever you want, but if you want to take away people's rights I am not going to let that go.

PapaWhat: I don't want to take away their rights. I just don't want to give them any new rights.

DrWhat: You would have fit in great in the Confederacy. Goes on second rant, using similar historic references, about how many men are more personally offended by male homosexuality because men have strong homoerotic tendencies that they have difficulty dealing with.

PapaWhat: (In an accepting tone) Eh, maybe. *shrugs shoulders*

:shock:

:clap:

What are these women's problems? I fail to understand how a group of people who generally want small government and are *usually* understanding of separation of church and state can have such a personal vendetta against simply showing normal gay families on tv.

It almost offends me *more* when people say things like 'oh, lesbians aren't as bad as gay men'. It just makes it so obvious that it's not actually about 'traditional values' at all, but rather about 'this makes me feel icky! I don't like it!'

So I went to their website to read their drivel. They have a link to send an email to protest the show. It automatically pops up the text, all filled in for you, so you aren't required to think and can spout their party-line. It reads like this:

As a mother and a member of OneMillionMoms.com, I am concerned about the proposed ABC Family Channel program called "The Fosters." I am disgusted that your network has reported the anti-family pilot has been approved. ABC Family Channel is being irresponsible and causing great damage to our culture.

I am appalled that ABC intends to air a show that features homosexuality in a positive light on a family channel. I strongly encourage ABC to drop all plans to air the program "The Fosters."

While foster care and adoption is a wonderful thing, this program is attempting to redefine marriage and family by having two moms raise these children together. I am not sure what explanation will be given on how the biological children were conceived, but none of this material is acceptable content for a family show.

My family and I commit to contact sponsors that advertise during this program if your network follows through with this show. We will urge advertisers to place it on their "do not advertise" list and consider pulling all ads from the ABC network in protest of pushing sin directly into America's homes.

I look forward to your response.

Well, I sent the email, only I changed a few of the words, so it read like this:

As a mother I think the people from OneMillionMoms.com are crazy loons. I am thrilled about the proposed ABC Family Channel program called "The Fosters." I am impressed that your network has reported that this wonderful pilot has been approved. It's about time more shows are produced which represent the realities of families in this day and age. They aren't going to go away because a bunch of religious fanatics wish it were so. ABC Family Channel is helping people become acclimated to others in our culture and I commend you!

I am elated that ABC intends to air a show that features homosexuality in a positive light on a family channel. I strongly encourage ABC to include more plans to air such programs as "The Fosters."

Foster care and adoption is a wonderful thing and it shouldn’t matter whether it’s a heterosexual family, homosexual family, or any other combination.

My family and I commit to contact sponsors that advertise during this program and let them know we support your network and will urge others to do the same.

I went to their facebook page.

Hilarity ensued.

Bonnie Robles I am glad my boys were a part of BSA when it was not infiltrated with evil.

Like · Reply · 9 · 2 hours ago

Hide 8 Replies

Kristy Jensen No offense but I have 3 boys of my ownn and they will not be joining Boy Scouts. I also wouldn't allow them to join a co-ed group either that would encourage this type of behavior. Why can't Christians have any freedoms anymore?

Like · 3 · about an hour ago

Bonnie Robles Why can't gays make their own club instead of taking over a Christain one?They want make everyone accept them,we don't have to.

Like · 1 · about an hour ago

Bonnie Robles We are talking about kids.The last I knew kids aren't married in BSA.

Like · about an hour ago

Bonnie Robles It's not equality if you are FORCED to accept what you know is wrong(sin).

Like · 2 · about an hour ago

Bonnie Robles We are talking about KIDS not adults.

Like · about an hour ago

Leila Jeffares Holmes Evil has infiltrated or Nation as a whole. It has a name "Liberals" who are a group totally influenced by Satan!

Like · 1 · about an hour ago

Leila Jeffares Holmes Christian Lucy...you need some training before making a statement like this. Homosexuals were all influenced by their initial upbringing. Ask any one of them you know. And Yes! it is evil. Next, people will be asking to marry animals.

Like · about an hour ago

David Troy Lelia- Ask me what, about my spiritual upbringing? How was I influenced to be gay being raised in a very Conservative Christian home. Attended church twice a week. So you are saying that God made me gay?

I'm assuming that there are posts that are hidden from me, or Bonnie Robles is crazy and talks to herself.

Reading those comments are funny. BSA has never been a Christian club. Bonnie is an idiot to stay that. But BSA has been largely supported in some aspects by the LDS church. Many LDS wards have their chartered troops. In some areas, BSA groups have no issues with gays or atheists being involved. I have two relatives who work for BSA and they will chuckle when I tell them about Bonnie's comment about gays taking over the BSA which she claims is a Christian club.

For those idiots bitching about BSA and gays, if some of them are Assembly of God, their kids can easily join the Royal Rangers program.I think at some point the LDS church will break out of their support for BSA and form their scouting program similar to Royal Rangers and the Boy Scouts.

So I went to their website to read their drivel. They have a link to send an email to protest the show. It automatically pops up the text, all filled in for you, so you aren't required to think and can spout their party-line. It reads like this:

As a mother and a member of OneMillionMoms.com, I am concerned about the proposed ABC Family Channel program called "The Fosters." I am disgusted that your network has reported the anti-family pilot has been approved. ABC Family Channel is being irresponsible and causing great damage to our culture.

I am appalled that ABC intends to air a show that features homosexuality in a positive light on a family channel. I strongly encourage ABC to drop all plans to air the program "The Fosters."

While foster care and adoption is a wonderful thing, this program is attempting to redefine marriage and family by having two moms raise these children together. I am not sure what explanation will be given on how the biological children were conceived, but none of this material is acceptable content for a family show.

My family and I commit to contact sponsors that advertise during this program if your network follows through with this show. We will urge advertisers to place it on their "do not advertise" list and consider pulling all ads from the ABC network in protest of pushing sin directly into America's homes.

Well, I sent the email, only I changed a few of the words, so it read like this:

As a mother I think the people from OneMillionMoms.com are crazy loons. I am thrilled about the proposed ABC Family Channel program called "The Fosters." I am impressed that your network has reported that this wonderful pilot has been approved. It's about time more shows are produced which represent the realities of families in this day and age. They aren't going to go away because a bunch of religious fanatics wish it were so. ABC Family Channel is helping people become acclimated to others in our culture and I commend you!

I am elated that ABC intends to air a show that features homosexuality in a positive light on a family channel. I strongly encourage ABC to include more plans to air such programs as "The Fosters."

Foster care and adoption is a wonderful thing and it shouldn’t matter whether it’s a heterosexual family, homosexual family, or any other combination.

My family and I commit to contact sponsors that advertise during this program and let them know we support your network and will urge others to do the same.

I like the wording of your email -- but if you sent it from their site all the network is going to notice is one more email from the anti-group.

Almost all on-line petition and email drives are pre-filled in, and people generally just count the "votes" not read the actual email.

eta: just pointing it out in case other people were going to go to their site and do the same.

I don't care for sitcoms and probably would not have watched this one but now I plan to put it on my dvd so it will count in the ratings, whether I watch it or not. I hate censorship and bigotry and when the two are intertwined it really ticks me off. :angry-cussing:

I like the wording of your email -- but if you sent it from their site all the network is going to notice is one more email from the anti-group.

Almost all on-line petition and email drives are pre-filled in, and people generally just count the "votes" not read the actual email.

eta: just pointing it out in case other people were going to go to their site and do the same.

I thought of this right after I sent it. I waited till I got the email copy (they give you the option to send a copy of the email to yourself). When I got that email, I re-sent the message to the people listed in the "to" section from my personal email.

Why aren't they celebrating the cancelation of the New Normal? I thought it'll be in their line of work to do so.

(To be honest, I think the New Normal rushed too much on the plotline. It was getting boring, so I'm not surprised it was axed)

I liked The New Normal at times. There were great episodes and then awful ones. 40 k moms will probably target that Sean Hayes sitcom that is airing next fall.

Archived