IGNORED

This ALWAYS gets me so mad! - Duggars

homeschoolmomma1

Okay I was watching the old specials ( trying to find something else) and it ALWAYS pisses me off that JANA and JILL make Jim Bob breakfast before he takes Michelle to the hospital. Maybe that isn't so bad but it is egss and stuff. So does Michelle feed him as he drives? grrr

It starts at 3:30ish

Oh and Jana had to pull the car around too!

I know I maybe reading too much into this but at this point Jana was 15

Oh I'm sorry he did say "Thank you" so that makes it all better

This made me mad too, especially because it was the middle of the night. What did they do purposely wake them just to tell them she was in labour and ask for eggs?

It mioght have been VERY early mornig. Who the heck knows. With Jackson they didn't wake anyone up and now for Johannah they did. Weird. I also wonder about Grandma being there. Michelle must have ALWAYS needed help with the kids

I know. It's a weird mentality. Michelle's willing to have all these kids yet expects her kids to raise them all the while getting credit for being a great "mother". They should start calling her their birth giver. That's all she is.

I wonder if the younger siblings will always have a closer relationship with their care taker sibling.

I thought they made the breakfast for Michelle and just handed it to Jim Bob so M wouldn't spill it during a contraction ro something.

If memory serves, it was for him. (Plus, don't most hospitals refuse to give food to labouring women, in case they have to do surgery later? So you probably wouldn't eat before you go.)

Iam really wondering who took care of the younger kids. Since Grandma, JimBooB and J'chelle plus Jana and Jill were in the hospital Josh and the two left older girls must have been in charge.. and Jessa and Jinger weren't older than 13, 14 at this time.. huge responsibility. But who knows.. maybe J'chelle had more little helpers except Grandma sleeping at her house.

If memory serves, it was for him. (Plus, don't most hospitals refuse to give food to labouring women, in case they have to do surgery later? So you probably wouldn't eat before you go.)/quote]

All the more reason to eat a good breakfast before you go. Labor is extensive physical exertion and it requires a LOT of energy. You wouldn't try to run a marathon on an empty stomach with nothing but ice chips to sustain you, right? Anyway, an OB might deny you food and drink in labor but I've never heard of a midwife doing that. I was actually encouraged to eat and drink in labor. Actually, at one point I was handed a glass of water and ordered to drink it immediately. /Blah blah thread derail

I'm sure Jim Bob wanted his breakfast, wether Michelle had some or not. Why can't he throw a few eggs in a pan to fry? It hardly takes effort... it's one of the first food my siblings learned to cook themselves.

Just to continue the thread derail for a sec: I know how I am in discomfort and pain, so I probably wouldn't want to eat, but if I did, I'd be going against all sorts of medical advice. Didn't mean to apply people shouldn't eat, just that there might be a reason not to.

If I were in labor, my first thought would be getting to the hospital breakfast or no breakfast.

That was a good catch Homeschoolmama1 :) I am so immune to the way the Jim Bob and Michelle use their daughters (TLC must be too) that I let these things slip right by. Thanks for highlighting it. My son's dad put together a cooler for himself so he could have something to eat while we both waited. (This was recommended by the doctor).

All the more reason to eat a good breakfast before you go. Labor is extensive physical exertion and it requires a LOT of energy. You wouldn't try to run a marathon on an empty stomach with nothing but ice chips to sustain you, right? Anyway, an OB might deny you food and drink in labor but I've never heard of a midwife doing that. I was actually encouraged to eat and drink in labor.

Could be for Michelle. I had inductions with the last two & the nurses told me to eat before coming in because hospital policy doesn't allow them to give me food but I would need the nourishment. They let me have clear liquids & popsicles in labor, although at the end they told me to stop because your bladder gets blocked during the actual birth & it can get uncomfortable. I had that happen with #2 so I willingly complied. It really adds insult to injury when you are in so much pain and then cannot relieve your bladder on top of it. But they keep food for the dads in most L&D hospitals, why wake up one of the girls? If he was truly starving, aren't there McDonald's drivethroughs in Arkansas?

I interpreted the breakfast as being for JimBob.

I think a lot of people would watch and say, aw, the oldest girls did something special because their mother was in labor. They wouldn't think that that making breakfast was part of their expected responsibilities. And the way JimBob says thank you, it makes it sound like he didn't expect them to make breakfast. Of course, they probably had to make breakfast for their million siblings later that morning, but people watching may not know that, so it seems cute and special.

Could be for Michelle. I had inductions with the last two & the nurses told me to eat before coming in because hospital policy doesn't allow them to give me food but I would need the nourishment. They let me have clear liquids & popsicles in labor, although at the end they told me to stop because your bladder gets blocked during the actual birth & it can get uncomfortable. I had that happen with #2 so I willingly complied. It really adds insult to injury when you are in so much pain and then cannot relieve your bladder on top of it. But they keep food for the dads in most L&D hospitals, why wake up one of the girls? If he was truly starving, aren't there McDonald's drivethroughs in Arkansas?

Can you physically not pee?

Damn, I was thinking that maybe you didn't want to pee on the floor. Break out the wee-wee pads!

Wow Jana & Jill look so babyfaced! Smuggar actually had a waistline too lol

You have to wonder what Smuggar was thinking when Anna was birthin mac. Only the girls have seen an actual birth and we cant assume they had any real edukatiun about how the whole thing goes down. I can only image him thinking HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT...

Jb is a smug fuck, just like his napping son. When your wife is in labor you do what you can to make HER feel better. Eating smelly eggs while she is having contractions probably didnt make her feel any more comfy.

Right, there is too much pressure on your urethra.

I had no idea this was a thing. They never tell you these things when they tell you about childbirth. Is that way in movies and books, pregnant women are often given ice chips, to avoid drinking?

You know, there are like 800 things about delivery that terrifies me, but I still find a little bit of new angst about the idea of not eating.

I had no idea this was a thing. They never tell you these things when they tell you about childbirth. Is that way in movies and books, pregnant women are often given ice chips, to avoid drinking?

Yeah, nobody warned me either, and I spent the last 10-12 hours of labor more concerned about when I would finally get to pee than about any pain or whatever. It's funny in hindsight, but was not at the time.

The ice chips and stuff are because back in the day, when they put women totally under, there was a small change of breathing in their own vomit and getting an infection or choking to death on it. That's pretty much gone away now, but few doctors have updated their procedures, and a lot of women do get nauseated or even throw up during transition, so no food or drink makes it less messy.

One of the things that sucks is the IV that most hospitals require in case of problems, or for IV pain meds, also fills your body with fluids, so it makes you have to pee even worse. I was allowed to eat & drink as needed and was slamming down green teas and iced mochas, so I'm thankful I didn't have an IV, but the whole having to pee, not being able to, and being afraid you're gonna pee all over when you push is so not cool (a lot of women end up pooping too, which made me rethink the whole doula training thing).

One hospital I worked at gave women crackers and peanut butter while they were in labor. I dunno about full meals, though.

Archived