IGNORED

Sikh Temple Mass Shootings/Hostage Taking

Visionoyahweh

According to CNN, the authorities are treating this as a "domestic terrorist-type incident" and the FBI will lead the investigation.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the news outlet just don't want to create an uproar by putting this shooting with the word "terrorism" when it truly is.

The newscaster on my TV right now is describing it as domestic terrorism.

The Sikhs are very peaceful people. One of the Sikhs interviewed on TV said they are frequently confused for Muslims. Everyone should be safe in worshipping in their church, temple, or mosque. Very sad, and very scary.

In the late 90s, a relative of mine worked for a security company that is owned by a Sikh community. He developed friendships with several Sikhs. He said that after 9/11, his friends had to deal with threats and one of them had "terrorist" onto his vehicle.

Wasn't there a Sikh gas station owner, or maybe he was just pumping his own gas, in Phoenix after 9/11 who was killed, specifically because he was a "towel head" (the words the killer used).

I find that most Americans are to dumb to differentiate between religions. I also find that most Americans are violent and will lash out at anyone who disagrees with them or lives his/her life differently than they do. As an American, I don't have a lot of faith in Americans.

I don't think most Americans are too dumb to differentiate between religions. Nor do I think most Americans are violent. I think it's a minority of Americans who are this way, but their actions bring them a lot of attention. I do still have faith in Americans.

I don't think most Americans are too dumb to differentiate between religions. Nor do I think most Americans are violent. I think it's a minority of Americans who are this way, but their actions bring them a lot of attention. I do still have faith in Americans.

Agreed, but I'm willing to bet only a tiny minority know the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim, much less the differences between the two religions.

Agreed, but I'm willing to bet only a tiny minority know the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim, much less the differences between the two religions.

I also agree, it is probably a tiny minority that knows difference between Sikhs and Muslims. I also think there are a minority of American Christians who will never try to learn about different religions outside of Christianity.

I also agree, it is probably a tiny minority that knows difference between Sikhs and Muslims. I also think there are a minority of American Christians who will never try to learn about different religions outside of Christianity.

You and Hane wrote almost the same thing at the same time. I think it depends on where you live. I think in urban areas most people know the difference but in small communities and rural areas, you're right, probably only a few know the difference.

I've belonged to several different parishes over the years and most, at different times, offered classes on learning about different religions. Sometimes it involved groups where people of different faiths met together every week for a period of time to share about their specific faiths. Other times it was a more formal class where different ministers came in to teach about their particular faith.

The ECLA church behind my apt in my new town has classes on learning about other religions. I thought of going but I ended up forgetting. I'm not sure how long the session will last.

I took a class in college about different religions. It wasn't required but we needed a certain number of theology courses, and this course was strongly recommended.

oh gosh that's devastating, we have a beautiful Sikh temple near here and a large community of its people, they are lovely! Hard workers too. I'm just so sadden to hear and thinking what everyone else above has stated, how disgraceful if that is true.

Aaaand Fox News is covering it. I made it to, "This may be Sikh on Sikh" before wanting to throw something.

They were covering it since it happened and I watched about 2 hours of it. They DID call it "domestic terrorism" once the feds did, having ruled out someone with a personal axe to grind within the congregation. I have no problem with how fox covered it at all.

And Christians are persecuted? Bullshit. This, and the mosque in my town has been firebombed. The Sharia law folks have blood on their hands*.

*I'm assuming, based on the latest news reports, the shooter was someone too stupid to know the difference between SIkhs and Muslims. Will eat my words if that turns out not to be true of course.

The latest news is saying the shooter was a white man in his 40s (http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/05/us/wiscon ... ?hpt=hp_t1).

What a horrible, saddening thing to happen. If this turns out to be fueled by the Islamophobia that's so prevalent for some . . . something needs to happen about all that ignorance. In any case, something needs to change because enough is enough with these shootings.

members described the attacker as a bald, white man, dressed in a white T-shirt and black pants and with a 9/11 tattoo on one arm -- which "implies to me that there's some level of hate crime there."

urgh, if thats true I hope this loser is now stuck in limbo with the sick realization he has killed innocent people that weren't even moderately related to the Muslim religion or 9-11. What an ignorant piece of shit, if thats the case!

Wasn't there a Sikh gas station owner, or maybe he was just pumping his own gas, in Phoenix after 9/11 who was killed, specifically because he was a "towel head" (the words the killer used).

In Mesa, where I live, on September 15, 2001. *shudder* When I heard this story, this is the first thing that came to mind.

In the late 90s, a relative of mine worked for a security company that is owned by a Sikh community. He developed friendships with several Sikhs. He said that after 9/11, his friends had to deal with threats and one of them had "terrorist" onto his vehicle.

It happened here last spring, well about an hour away. Two men taking a walk at night. http://www.sacbee.com/2011/03/05/345133 ... cally.html

This is just so awful. It's worse than the night that i woke up to sirens and then found out the next morning that somebody had firebombed the local Jewish Temple. In that case people weren't killed.

I've been arguing with some dolts on a southern religious forum about these very facts. One fellow seems to think that there is no difference between Hindus and Sikhs, and the same fellow thinks all Sikhs are Muslim. :roll:

Actually as a Canadian I'm quite surprised at the lack of knowledge about Sikhs vs Muslims vs Hindus. CNN is giving a lesson on the differences. I know Sikhs are a minority, but really, people should know the difference. Of course, if the congregation attacked was at a mosque it would still be just as horrifying. I feel for the families.

People talking about Christians being persecuted while this garbage goes on and people continue to attack brown folk as terrorists can just go, well, fly a kite.

With my middle school female students it can be hard to tell the difference on sight. Some Sikh women cover their hair, but not most. Of the ones that do some wear turbans and others wear the same sort of scarves as Muslims do. However the boys and men are generally pretty obvious which religion they are. (the boys start wearing little topknots at a very young age, they are usually covered with a square of cotton, and as they get older they gradually start wearing Turbans.)

Sadly, I've watched over the last several years as many of them cut their hair and not as many wear turbans anymore.

Pretty sure it was because he thought they were Muslims. I used to know the shooter. :(

He is/was a neo-nazi skinhead and has played in a bunch of white power bands. He had been in the Army before that and was very anti-Muslim.

I'm still wondering what would make him do this though because he used to be pretty laid back and wasn't one of the people I'd expect to be very violent, but they may have changed in the last 10 years or so.

eta: He ad a bunch of tattos, but I don't remember any of them being 9/11 - related.

And if this be bomber had known the difference between Sikhs and Muslims and his bomb was thrown into a mosque, would it have been less horrible?

I don't think it matters, throwing bombs and kill/injure innocent, defenseless people is sick and beyond reprehensible.

You know, you're quite a bitch who puts words into other people's mouths.

The only reason the firebombing of the Jewish temple was not as horrible was that it wasn't done when people were not there so people didn't die. It still was a horrible, horrible thing.

YOU DON"T KILL OR HARM BECAUSE SOMEBODY BELIEVES DIFFERENTLY THAN YOU DO.

ETA- and if you'd read. He didn't throw a bomb. He walked in and started shooting. Then shot at two police officers who were trying to stop him.

Archived