IGNORED

United Bates of America Episode Descriptions

GeoBQn

The descriptions for the first episodes of United Bates of America *shudder* are out.

8/13 Papa Bill's Farm

The family heads to see Gil's parents; meet Papa Bill and Mama Jane.

8/13 Love Times 21

Gil and Kelly Jo welcome baby number 19; celebrating Valentine's Day Bates' style.

8/20 19 Kids, 1 Emergency

Kelly Jo is rushed to the hospital with more than just the flu; the family prays for a safe and speedy recovery.

8/20 Practice Makes Perfect

The training that goes into making this large family a little more manageable in public.

The beating that goes into making this large family a little more manageable in public.

So true, same crap, different family just with more hideous outfits and more annoying voices and stupider names... :roll:

The only one I'm curious about is Gil's parents....I have to wonder, are they fundies too? I'm guessing probably not, Gil and Kelly didn't join Gothard until after they were married. They have a farm...hmm, wonder why Gil didn't think to go into farming rather than the tree business, if that's what he grew up with.

I don't think TLC would start a show that's nearly identical to 19KAC. I think they picked up some craziness that the Duggars were either smart enough to have edited out, or managed to thoroughly conceal. That's poor business sense, and TLC has to know it. They're well aware that the Duggars are getting old and boring.

Of course, that's speculation, but I hope that the Bates are something like the "dark side of the Duggars," something closer to TLC's usual freak show fare.

The only one I'm curious about is Gil's parents....I have to wonder, are they fundies too? I'm guessing probably not, Gil and Kelly didn't join Gothard until after they were married. They have a farm...hmm, wonder why Gil didn't think to go into farming rather than the tree business, if that's what he grew up with.

I think they've shown Kelly's family on the blog, but not Gil's. I'm sure they're pretty fundie; Anderson, SC isn't known for its liberal stances on...well...anything. Isn't that where Bob Jones is located?

At any rate, I know others from Anderson and they're all extremely religious (I even have a Catholic friend who was raised there; her family of 11 kids probably took up most of the pews in that part of the world), and extremely conservative.

I don't remember Kelly blogging about going to the hospital. Anyone remember anything? Probably the gall bladder; not uncommon for women over 40 with so many pregnancies.

I also want to know when they're going to show HOW Erin goes to her little college class, or if they're going to chicken out and make her look like a legitimate full time student (without Tori the Chaperone).

I think TLC is going to really play up the "country" element with the Bates. They present the Duggars as a 50s style family values suburban family that idealises a culture that never existed, and i think they'll present the Bates as simple country folk and try to evoke a peaceful rural utopia without the corrupting influences of urban life, another idealized culture that never really existed.

If we see horses, TLC needs to be flooded with email. It scared them enough to cut footage the first time we did it.

Gil's father is a judge. Judge William Gilvin Bates. And Gil's real name is William Gilvin Bates, Jr.

Papa Bill better not criticize their lifestyle, or else Gil will badmouth him after he dies, if JimBob is any indication.

Gil's father is a judge. Judge William Gilvin Bates. And Gil's real name is William Gilvin Bates, Jr.

He must hate seeing his grandchildren living in such poverty. Maybe he helps them out financially.

Every reality show family is ruined by fame. It will be interesting to see what does it for the Bateses.

The Duggars are just whistling past the graveyard.

8/20 Practice Makes Perfect

The training that goes into making this large family a little more manageable in public.

This just sounds wrong in so many ways...

I don't have the URL, but I've seen Gil's brother's family's blog. They seem like a nice, normal family. There are only four children, not a quiverfull. They homeschool, but the kids wear mainstream clothes, participate in extracurricular activities, play video games, and have the same toys & stuff as public school kids. I don't know their religious affiliation, but if I had to guess I'd say fundie lite Southern Baptists or megachurch Christians or something along those lines.

I don't have the URL, but I've seen Gil's brother's family's blog. They seem like a nice, normal family. There are only four children, not a quiverfull. They homeschool, but the kids wear mainstream clothes, participate in extracurricular activities, play video games, and have the same toys & stuff as public school kids. I don't know their religious affiliation, but if I had to guess I'd say fundie lite Southern Baptists or megachurch Christians or something along those lines.

Gil's brother and family:

http://bumpinalongtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com.au/

They live next door to Gil's parents and Gil's brother is a farmer. The family, as FloraDoraDolly said, seem like a nice, normal family. The eldest son has Downs Syndrome but the family seem to have him involved in a lot of activities. He is followed by three beautiful girls. The mother set up a home school group music program which includes a band, string group and choir. There was a great blog about the eldest daughter learning Trumpet. So nice to see a Bates child wearing jeans and playing Trumpet instead of in a praire dress playing Violin.

They live next door to Gil's parents and Gil's brother is a farmer. The family, as FloraDoraDolly said, seem like a nice, normal family. The eldest son has Downs Syndrome but the family seem to have him involved in a lot of activities. He is followed by three beautiful girls. The mother set up a home school group music program which includes a band, string group and choir. There was a great blog about the eldest daughter learning Trumpet. So nice to see a Bates child wearing jeans and playing Trumpet instead of in a praire dress playing Violin.

I noticed a giant quote from Maria Montessori on their wall, generally speaking hard core fundies wouldn't consider Montessori-an teachings. So they seem outwardly "normal" and very worldly adapted which is nice considering their cousins...

The son has Asperger's, not Down Syndrome. But yeah, they seem like a nice, average family especially compared to Gil and Kelly.

They seem wonderfully normal. It makes me wonder again what happened with Gil and Kelly and with Jim Bob and Michelle that they fell for Gothard and his BS when the rest of their families didn't.

The "other" Bates are so completely normal. I wonder what the cousins' conversations are like when Gil and Kelly aren't around.

Archived