IGNORED

Wedding of Joe and Elizabeth

Justme

I use a kitchen scale daily. It takes the guess work out of measuring for me when I'm bound to a recipe or bagging stuff for the freezer.

I'm into cooking, and a food scale provides the most precise way to measure ingredients, assuming you are willing to translate measurements into ounces & grams when necessary. I do also weigh out portion sizes to be realistic about how much I am eating, etc. Those are just two uses, you can even make up your own! :)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

A $100 garbage bin??? Are you kidding me? How does that qualify as good "stewardship" of god's provisions?

Granted, I love my plastic version of this simple human bin but even as a 30+ professional woman I drew the line at splashing out that much on something meant for trash. I understand buying nice china since, in theory, it is an heirloom item but $100 on a trash bin? I think young Elizabeth is going to have a brutal awaking to the Maxwell way of life.

I am eagerly looking forward to seeing how much of this list is fulfilled!

I'm into cooking, and a food scale provides the most precise way to measure ingredients, assuming you are willing to translate measurements into ounces & grams when necessary. I do also weigh out portion sizes to be realistic about how much I am eating, etc. Those are just two uses, you can even make up your own! :)

Yes, this makes sense. I had forgotten that many bakers say the correct way to measure ingredients is to weigh them.

Please nobody look in the prayer closet; that's where I've hidden my evil Tupperware measuring cups.

A $100 garbage bin??? Are you kidding me? How does that qualify as good "stewardship" of god's provisions?

Granted, I love my plastic version of this simple human bin but even as a 30+ professional woman I drew the line at splashing out that much on something meant for trash. I understand buying nice china since, in theory, it is an heirloom item but $100 on a trash bin? I think young Elizabeth is going to have a brutal awaking to the Maxwell way of life.

I am eagerly looking forward to seeing how much of this list is fulfilled!

I think that if you are 20 years old and have lived in your parents' house your whole life, and have never worked for pay, you have NO idea what is normal vis-a-vis prices of household goods.

I think that if you are 20 years old and have lived in your parents' house your whole life, and have never worked for pay, you have NO idea what is normal vis-a-vis prices of household goods.

Yes, I think this is a good point. I know what a garbage bin costs because I moved into my own apartment during college and found one at Target for $12.99 or something like that. But how would they know what it's supposed to cost if they've never had one? I bet they didn't even look at the price tags when making this list because they won't be paying for anything, and they also haven't learned much about basic adult life skills since they've always been treated like children. This is why it's important for teenager to have some freedom, so they can learn these lessons along the way instead of trying to struggle all at once with a house and a family to deal with the mess when they make mistakes. You can sit a kid down and lecture them, but the best way for them to learn the value of money is to get a part-time job and then buy the things they want. After working and saving up a little money, I was much more reluctant to spend it on things unless I really wanted them.

One thing glaringly missing on that list-GOOD KITCHEN KNIVES. Or any kitchen knives for that matter. I mean, come on, she is going to be a homemaker, how is she going to do that without some good knives for boning, chopping, and slicing?

She also needs veggie peelers, a box grater, wooden spoons, spatulas, meat mallet, a wisk, etc. But for God's sake, if your going to be spending a signifigant amount of time in the kitchen, you friggin need knives. Their mothers should have given them a clue.

One thing glaringly missing on that list-GOOD KITCHEN KNIVES. Or any kitchen knives for that matter. I mean, come on, she is going to be a homemaker, how is she going to do that without some good knives for boning, chopping, and slicing?

She also needs veggie peelers, a box grater, wooden spoons, spatulas, meat mallet, a wisk, etc. But for God's sake, if your going to be spending a signifigant amount of time in the kitchen, you friggin need knives. Their mothers should have given them a clue.

I've not looked at the registry yet, but you raise a good point. I've been putting out money on good knives for myself most of my adult life, and for my daughter's as well. She'll probably get a $40 block of Farberware, and never learn how to sharpen on on a stone.

Okay, when I was first married I didn't get a good knife set, or even ONE good knife and we were too poor to buy one so I spent the first 5 months trying to cut open butternut squash with a dull steak knife. Then for Christmas I got a set of JA Henckels and never looked back. A good knife is a MUST!

Wow...looking at their registry just makes me feel sad. I'm kind of in the process of the same thing right now (moving to my first apartment next month- woo!), and it's like getting married, but with no groom to get in the way, har har har. I've really been having a ball, since I've been dreaming of my first apartment the way the stereotypical girl has been dreaming of her wedding. That said, I think MY stuff is more fun, since it has COLOR. It's mostly dishware and bathroom accessories, since my roomies are providing cookware and living room furniture, and my plates have green ferns on them, my bath towels are pink, etc. etc. I like lots of color, I don't care if things match totally, as long as they're all bright and cheerful. Oh, and nooooo china, it's all stoneware all the time for this girl. Cheap, sturdy, and it reminds me of home, since my parents still use their wedding set of stoneware today (33 years and counting). China just seems too fussy. I did get some really nice wineglasses (from my minister brother!) for my birthday, though. I got a set of Oneida knives from online. The reviews were good, even though they were quite inexpensive, so hopefully they'll do me for a few years until I can splash out on Victorinox or something.

Maybe Elizabeth really does just prefer browns and creams; I hope this is the case, since getting your first home ware, according to your own personal tastes is a pleasure I would not want to take from anyone.

I've also been doing some home shopping. No, not QVC, but going through my parents' house and being like "Hey Dad, you don't use those yellow and orange mixing bowls much, right? Good, 'cause I'm taking them." The Maxwells' stuff is probably so boring that none of their kids would want it anyway.

And 12 peppermills but no kitchen knives, and only one casual place setting? Yeah, Joe did that. Goofball.

I assumed the two place settings of china were for at-home date nights - remember child bride Lauren? She set up a "bistro" in her house so she and Creepy McCreeperson could have dates without spending his money or hiring a babysitter. Elizabeth might be assuming those are the only kind if dates she'll be getting.

Guest Anonymous

The list shows they are only registered for one cookware (pots, pans, bakeware) item, a dutch oven, which leads me to believe that the general kitchen items like the knives are already purchased -- perhaps in her hopechest.

The registry has mainly house specific items that require a choice a color/style to match the decor, obligatory china and random odds and ends like the pepper shakers. I dearly hope they get all 12. HA

It's possible she's trying to keep her kitchen stuff neutral right now since she doesn't know what color she wants it to be yet (or is planning on throwing her weight around and changing the color after they are married). It is also possible she doesn't know how to properly select color options on the registry. A lot of that looks like someone REALLY didn't know how to work it.

I'm thinking that the 12 pepper grinders was a typo. Otherwise...well, that's just weird.

Apparently, they didn't read the reviews of the Meridian/Glacier 20-piece flatware set they registered for. It rusts.

I'm thinking that the 12 pepper grinders was a typo. Otherwise...well, that's just weird.

Apparently, they didn't read the reviews of the Meridian/Glacier 20-piece flatware set they registered for. It rusts.

They don't read, they write. :naughty:

They don't read, they write. :naughty:

How very right you are. I'll haul my ass to the prayer closet. :pray:

How very right you are. I'll haul my ass to the prayer closet. :pray:

And don't let it happen again. :naughty:

I will give them props for the Dutch Oven. I have the one size smaller in that brand and I put it through its paces both on the stove and in the oven. It's a great workhorse. Though if it were me, I would get my drawer organizers, garbage cans and coffee pot at Target, and go for the real gold, a Le Creuset Dutch Oven. Oh, how I covet one of those, and one day I shall have it. :pray:

Yes, I think this is a good point. I know what a garbage bin costs because I moved into my own apartment during college and found one at Target for $12.99 or something like that. But how would they know what it's supposed to cost if they've never had one? I bet they didn't even look at the price tags when making this list because they won't be paying for anything, and they also haven't learned much about basic adult life skills since they've always been treated like children. This is why it's important for teenager to have some freedom, so they can learn these lessons along the way instead of trying to struggle all at once with a house and a family to deal with the mess when they make mistakes. You can sit a kid down and lecture them, but the best way for them to learn the value of money is to get a part-time job and then buy the things they want. After working and saving up a little money, I was much more reluctant to spend it on things unless I really wanted them.

I completely agree with this. I started waitressing when I was 16. Shortly after I had started, I was watching Oprah, who had a financial adviser on. He made a statement that before you buy something, calculate how long you have to work to get the amount of money you need to buy it and then ask "is it worth it?" When I would pull something off the shelf and think, "wow I'm going to have to work 3 full Sunday buffets for this" the answer often came up "no way."

More pictures posted of their old CO trip. Stevie conforms they will be away. I still think its the wedding. I guess they could go on a family not-vacation and the wedding could be after the horse & pony tour...

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/regGift ... 421383129&

A king-sized bed? For some reason that surprises me.

ETA: These lamps were picked out, no doubt, because they look like Jesus fish – http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/regProd ... =17229265&

Commas are nice.

The king bed doesn't surprise me. When Sarah said a "full-sized bed" I had a feeling it was Maxwell speak, especially after I suffered through that Moody book. As I said then, I would bet Joe's brown love shack that the Max "children" all sleep in twins, so anything larger is "full-sized" (ie. for married adults) in her estimation. I also noticed their bedding is blue, matching the one non-brown wall, I guess. Stevie said the house had 3 BR, but they must be the size of a postage stamp; that place doesn't look to be much over 1000 sf (not including the basement).

Can I put in a plug for the Cephalon Pot Holders? Best pot holder I've ever had, lasts for years, doubles as a hot plate, not ridiculously large (and cumbersome), and totally worth the $10 each price tag.

A food scale....maybe Elizabeth is on some sort of diet?

How else are they going to ration the food a la Steve-O's two animal crackers per person?

They have to think that their everyday china is a set of four...don't they? Because if they don't, then the only inference I can draw is that this registry was done entirely online, without checking out the store in person, which is half the fun.

As for the two person fine china requests, that is just sad. I honestly can not conceive of such a couple requesting or using a Lennox $260 coffee pot. I suppose that as a SAHEverything, Elizabeth will have plenty of time to transfer coffee from the coffee maker to the pot, and clean both. I know several people with such proper upper middle class serving pieces, but the only one I know who uses it regularly is my mom's bff, the world's most elegant and gracious hostess. I wish I could hold out hope based on a 4 or 8 setting china registry- at the very least, I could envision the newlyweds having their siblings over for a nice dinner.

One more thought...maybe Elizabeth picked the lovely coffee pot to have one beautiful thing in her home, which can potentially become an idol!

I hope the Lennox coffee pot doesn't end up like the poor blue flowered platter from The Poisonwood Bible- we all know how patriarchy took that one out.

Holy cow, are they registered for a $260 coffeepot? That doesn't seem very modest or frugal at all. Though I am happy to see the anti-fatigue kitchen mat for the poor kitchen slave to-be. Really hope someone buys her that!

Especially since she'll probably spend as many of the coming years as possible pregnant will still having to serve her keeper husband.

Steve must have only gotten a few posts into this thread because the coffee pot is no longer on the registry, but the $100 garbage can remains.

They only have two "fancy" china and silverware place settings so I assume it is for special couples dinners. My husband and I used to put on a movie one night a week for the kids and have a picnic on our bed. Adult food and good china! But now the baby is a toddler who cannot be left along for more than it takes to empty precisely one-fourth of my bladder, so that is put on hold for a while.

Some pepper grinders work really well for spices. You can buy dried red peppers or dried garlic or whole nutmeg and grind them into your recipes, and it tastes so much richer. Of course Elizabeth probably is not familiar with the apocryphal burritos and the role of spices in the downfall of the human soul. I bet the scale is to make sure each child gets precisely the same ration of animal crackers.

There is a lot of expensive stuff on that registry. I hope the Muncks have some wealthy friends, because there is no way Steve and Teri are running with the type of crowd that gives a $140 sugar bowl.

Archived