IGNORED

Joe's House

Daisy4

I think used appliances are great; I am just appalled by the narrow world view that causes them to write such self-satisfied crap about how the appliances are a reward from God for following his path.

I am also amused by the mirrored headboard supplied to a couple who will barely have been allowed to look at themselves naked in a mirror, let alone at each other..... :lol:

I agree, the headboard makes me LOL.

That dresser is butt-ugly but could be made over with some paint and new hardware.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think in the post they mentioned primer, so I'm assuming what's on the walls is just the primer. I know what it's like thanks to buying a house recently and I would be very grateful if I received anything for nothing but I certainly wouldn't thanking the man upstairs...because obviously it was Mr. B's doing not Gods.

I think used appliances are great; I am just appalled by the narrow world view that causes them to write such self-satisfied crap about how the appliances are a reward from God for following his path.

That was more along the lines of what I was trying to say. I felt like their furniture post had a smug tone to it, and they've always seemed very smug about the debt-free house purchase, too. That's what annoys me; they seem so entitled! I just think if they weren't so hung up on buying a home debt-free as being the only right way to go, Joseph would have been able to take some of his savings and have Elizabeth help him pick out some stuff. After all, the home is where she's going to spend the majority of her time.

Maybe he does have some more money for other furniture and decor, though, and is just waiting for her to get there before they get any more things. I hope so!

I noticed the ma and pa duggar have a smallish bed too. Maybe the fundies like it that way...

That was more along the lines of what I was trying to say. I felt like their furniture post had a smug tone to it, and they've always seemed very smug about the debt-free house purchase, too. That's what annoys me; they seem so entitled! I just think if they weren't so hung up on buying a home debt-free as being the only right way to go, Joseph would have been able to take some of his savings and have Elizabeth help him pick out some stuff. After all, the home is where she's going to spend the majority of her time.

Maybe he does have some more money for other furniture and decor, though, and is just waiting for her to get there before they get any more things. I hope so!

Has anyone checked the bridal registries for them?? I'm woefully inept at that type of stuff or would have done so myself.

Has anyone checked the bridal registries for them?? I'm woefully inept at that type of stuff or would have done so myself.

Yeah, I found it:

__ Bible

__ Bible

__ Bible

__ Bible

__ Bible

:D

What do they need to register for? The Lord provides everything!

All of my furniture and appliances are used. Everything. The only thing I bought was my couch and that was from salvation army so even that wasn't brand new. I also bought my fridge. From a used appliance store.Through a series of events my parents acquired a lot of furniture from family members, so everything in my house is from the surplus in my parents basement. There's nothing wrong with used.

Yeah, I found it:

__ Bible

__ Bible

__ Bible

__ Bible

__ Bible

:D

What do they need to register for? The Lord provides everything!

You forgot -

Bible cover

Bible cover

Bible cover

Bible cover

Bible cover

:lol:

I am 42 and I have the same washer and dryer I inherited 20 years ago when my uncle died and noone else wanted them. DH wants to get front loaders, but I am not replacing these until they actually break. We just bought our first "New" fridge and stove 3 years ago when we redid the kicthen. Before that was hand me downs.

We got married at 22, so about the same age as them. Noone that age has all new furniture when they get married. Everything we had was hand me downs until DH finished grad .school and got a job and we slowly replaced the worst stuff.

The view from the back of the house makes the house appear fairly small (not snarking just remarking). If J&E have as many kids as they're likely to, that big backyard will come in handy to add some rooms.

Yeah, poor Mr. B gets one little thank you, and The Lord gets all the rest. That's how the Maxwells roll, Mr. B.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like used stuff is bad! Just that it seems like everything is going full steam ahead with little input from Elizabeth. Part of the fun for me was picking stuff out with my husband together, in person, whether it was from a yard sale, Ikea, etc., or talking about acquiring hand me downs: "Hey, my sister's got an old table they're not using and they offered it to us, what do you think?" Maybe they're having chaperoned phone conversations about everything and really are discussing it. Plus, she can always check their blog for updates. :lol:

I also thought that maybe since Joseph lived at home and didn't have any debts that he would have a lot of savings, but his intention probably was to use those savings for the house purchase only (renovations too), and not for the other stuff like furniture/appliances.

The view from the back of the house makes the house appear fairly small (not snarking just remarking). If J&E have as many kids as they're likely to, that big backyard will come in handy to add some rooms.

Yeah, poor Mr. B gets one little thank you, and The Lord gets all the rest. That's how the Maxwells roll, Mr. B.

It does look really small. But I think it's a split level and only one level is visible from the back. See the steps? There are definitely two floors here.

DSC_4548-267x400.jpg

And are those neighbours?! They let a child move into a neighbourhood, into the *real* world?!

DSC_4579-425x284.jpg

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like used stuff is bad! Just that it seems like everything is going full steam ahead with little input from Elizabeth. Part of the fun for me was picking stuff out with my husband together, in person, whether it was from a yard sale, Ikea, etc., or talking about acquiring hand me downs: "Hey, my sister's got an old table they're not using and they offered it to us, what do you think?" Maybe they're having chaperoned phone conversations about everything and really are discussing it. Plus, she can always check their blog for updates. :lol:

I also thought that maybe since Joseph lived at home and didn't have any debts that he would have a lot of savings, but his intention probably was to use those savings for the house purchase only (renovations too), and not for the other stuff like furniture/appliances.

She can check their blog for updates on her house. As funny as that is, it's also quite sad. It's also quite sad that they refuse to mention her last name or that her family has a blog. I wonder what she would do if she knew that?

That mirrored headboard is straight out of the 80s. I'm surprised it's not a waterbed, too.

This comment made me :roll:

I love your comment about the vacuum cleaner, Sarah. I really disliked vacuuming, but find the whole thing much more palatable now that I focus on how grateful I am to be blessed with a vacuum cleaner and am not trying to clean with a broom, dustpan and brush! I think it was one of your mum’s books which helped me on my journey to that point!

Don't these people realize that you can hate dislike vacuuming and not be "blessed" over ever stupid thing? And even though I was "blessed" with a vacuum, I still use a broom and a dustpan sometimes.

Just that it seems like everything is going full steam ahead with little input from Elizabeth.

It's not much, but the blog update before the newest one says,

"Joseph and Elizabeth have enjoyed picking out colors for their new house together, well, via long-distance."

And in the comments Steve (too curt to be Sarah) says they "[skype] or email" to discuss it.

That mirrored headboard is straight out of the 80s. I'm surprised it's not a waterbed, too.

This comment made me :roll:

Don't these people realize that you can hate dislike vacuuming and not be "blessed" over ever stupid thing? And even though I was "blessed" with a vacuum, I still use a broom and a dustpan sometimes.

I really hate doing dishes and just don't have time for it everyday. Can someone bless me with a dishwasher??

Do they have a dishwasher in this new house? I don't recall seeing one. Or are dishwashers a sin since they make a woman's life easier? But then how can they have a washer/dryer?

And in the comments Steve (too curt to be Sarah) says they "[skype] or email" to discuss it.

Ooh, they get to Skype? I bet Steve sits right next to Joseph the whole time. And the emails are probably screened, too.

I am no bible expert but, reading the verse at the end of the post it seems to me that it would be more appropriate to use it to talk about how we all should share with those in need, not how we should all help a sheltered fundie furnish his mortgage-free house!

Yes, the "full-size bed" concerns me, although like Hopewell said it might not be intended for their own bedroom once they are married. A "full" is smaller than even a double, so we are not talking a king- or queen-sized mattress. While Elizabeth seems quite petite, and Joe isn't huge, either, I think starting their marriage in a full-size bed might be a little too "cozy" for most folks.......feel free to correct me if my bed-size definitions are misguided! :)

A full is the same as a double. In the US, sizes are crib, twin, twin extra-long, full, queen, King and California King.

Ha, that dresser looks just like my dresser and nightstand :) I inherited them from my parents because they've been in my room since I was born. I did replace the pulls with some more modern-looking handles. It's exactly the kind of thing young people just starting out would end up with, and I'm sure they're glad to have that stuff. I would be willing to bet that the bed is only a frame and doesn't include the mattress.

The Lord’s ways are amazing, wonderful, and unimaginable–His mercies are new every morning. What are we praising the Lord specifically for? Joseph was offered appliances! They were gifted to him by a friend (thank you so much, Mr. B!), who had been given them by a lady who was moving.

Sarah's wording and sentence structure are seriously appalling for a 30yo who fancies herself a writer :?

Look at this comment from Steve:

God is good! on July 12, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

Lovely!

May i just ask something?!?!

How far away is Joseph’s house from yours? will you be able to see him (and her!) a lot?

Many thanks.

>>>>>>>>>>

Less than a mile. How often we see them all depends on them. We give our children a lot of room once they are married. They are then an autonomous family.

:roll: Right.

Guest Anonymous

A full is the same as a double. In the US, sizes are crib, twin, twin extra-long, full, queen, King and California King.

Out of interest, how big is a US King? Ours (in the UK) is 160cm wide x 200cm but I heard yours were larger than ours. And a California King? Do those exist all over or just in California? :)

It's always good to get free stuff, especially if it's in good condition. If the appliances were made in the USA, that's even better. They'll probably last longer than new ones made in China.

I would be willing to bet that the bed is only a frame and doesn't include the mattress.

You can only hope he is buying a new mattress for his bride. Or maybe she's bringing her own...

Archived