Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

Seewalds 28: Marketing Kids as Deflection

Recommended Posts

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carm_88

It's hard to believe that once upon a time, Derick was a dorky would be accountant who worked at Walmart and who people could see, eventually leading Jill away from fundamentalism. Ben and Jessa were a fire and brimstone couple who seemed to be stirring up trouble every other week. Now Ben and Jessa are relatively normal and Derick and Jill are the fire and brimstone couple getting in trouble every couple of days. 

  • Upvote 27
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCROW10

okay that new picture of Henry has Jessa's kid written all over it. i always thought he favored the Seewald side but those pics are all Duggar IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QuiverFullofBooks

In the last thread it was mentioned that Jessa and Ben were selling the vacant lot next to their house. I drove by it when I was in Arkansas in September and there was a for sale sign up then. Although the lot looked fairly small, it could be bigger than it appears. More importantly, it’s very close to the interstate. It could have a lot of value as a gas station or fast food place (depending on zoning). I was amused by that, since TLC always uses footage of the nearby cow pasture to introduce scenes in the house. It’s actually not a very pastoral setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GreatScott
1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

It's hard to believe that once upon a time, Derick was a dorky would be accountant who worked at Walmart and who people could see, eventually leading Jill away from fundamentalism. Ben and Jessa were a fire and brimstone couple who seemed to be stirring up trouble every other week. Now Ben and Jessa are relatively normal and Derick and Jill are the fire and brimstone couple getting in trouble every couple of days. 

I wonder if the ‘normal’ we see from the seewalds verses the Dillards is simply Ben and Jessa learned to shut up. 

  • Upvote 41
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carm_88
12 minutes ago, GreatScott said:

I wonder if the ‘normal’ we see from the seewalds verses the Dillards is simply Ben and Jessa learned to shut up. 

Quite possibly...but at least they learned. Not like Derick on round three with a gofundme :pb_lol:

Edited by Carm_88
  • Upvote 26
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GreatScott
Just now, Carm_88 said:

Quite possibly...but at least they learned. Not like Derick on round through with a gofundme :pb_lol:

Very true. Derrik seems to think if he keeps talking, eventually everyone will want to listen 

  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlternativeVoice
2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

It's hard to believe that once upon a time, Derick was a dorky would be accountant who worked at Walmart and who people could see, eventually leading Jill away from fundamentalism. Ben and Jessa were a fire and brimstone couple who seemed to be stirring up trouble every other week. Now Ben and Jessa are relatively normal and Derick and Jill are the fire and brimstone couple getting in trouble every couple of days. 

I think that has alot to do with Jessa & Ben being young & green w social sites. They are very well versed these days plus that was pre scandal. They've gotten savvy with branding & marketing. Derrick is.....well....hes alot of things. But I think he can spread his message by actually being a present father & husband. Not saying he isnt but...u can love your family and let that shine out. I get he feels it's his calling. But sometimes it's good to just meditate IN PRIVATE if your actions to attain your goals are causing undue stress on your family. The family youre supposed to love like Christ loved the church. IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VelociRapture
3 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

In the last thread it was mentioned that Jessa and Ben were selling the vacant lot next to their house. I drove by it when I was in Arkansas in September and there was a for sale sign up then. Although the lot looked fairly small, it could be bigger than it appears. More importantly, it’s very close to the interstate. It could have a lot of value as a gas station or fast food place (depending on zoning). I was amused by that, since TLC always uses footage of the nearby cow pasture to introduce scenes in the house. It’s actually not a very pastoral setting.

The listings state it’s been for sale since late June - I believe it was in the market three days after the property was transferred to the Seewalds. 

And after reading your comment on the location I’m now convinced this is all just a master plan by the Seewalds to have a Chick-Fil-A built right next door. :pb_lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nst

replying to SP with regards to Jill and Jessa again being different....who would have thought that Derick would turn out to be the crazy one...and Ben the semi normal one at this point. 
It seems Ben is learning how to cultivate the brand and he knows where the bread is buttered as well. 

5 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

It's hard to believe that once upon a time, Derick was a dorky would be accountant who worked at Walmart and who people could see, eventually leading Jill away from fundamentalism. Ben and Jessa were a fire and brimstone couple who seemed to be stirring up trouble every other week. Now Ben and Jessa are relatively normal and Derick and Jill are the fire and brimstone couple getting in trouble every couple of days. 

Best post ever today.  You get the brownie. These people have sure changed.  It's shocking about Jill and Derick to a degree because maybe Jill didn't have an idea that he would end up  like this.

 

3 hours ago, GreatScott said:

I wonder if the ‘normal’ we see from the seewalds verses the Dillards is simply Ben and Jessa learned to shut up. 

I think it's that and Ben has totally calmed down and never posts anymore at least that I see...

gone are the coffins 

3 hours ago, GreatScott said:

Very true. Derrik seems to think if he keeps talking, eventually everyone will want to listen 

I don't want to listen to him at all :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants
4 minutes ago, nst said:

replying to SP with regards to Jill and Jessa again being different....who would have thought that Derick would turn out to be the crazy one...and Ben the semi normal one at this point. 
It seems Ben is learning how to cultivate the brand and he knows where the bread is buttered as well. 

Best post ever today.  You get the brownie. These people have sure changed.  It's shocking about Jill and Derick to a degree because maybe Jill didn't have an idea that he would end up  like this.

 

I think it's that and Ben has totally calmed down and never posts anymore at least that I see...

gone are the coffins 

I don't want to listen to him at all :D 

OMG- the coffins. I had forgotten about the coffins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nst
4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

OMG- the coffins. I had forgotten about the coffins.

you can't ever forget the coffins or the ravens.  Symbolic to Ben forever.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eveandadam
7 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

In the last thread it was mentioned that Jessa and Ben were selling the vacant lot next to their house. I drove by it when I was in Arkansas in September and there was a for sale sign up then. Although the lot looked fairly small, it could be bigger than it appears. More importantly, it’s very close to the interstate. It could have a lot of value as a gas station or fast food place (depending on zoning). I was amused by that, since TLC always uses footage of the nearby cow pasture to introduce scenes in the house. It’s actually not a very pastoral setting.

Weird... With their growing family it would be wiser to keep the lot and built the house they have an extension for all the 15 sons they are going to have, unless of course they are planning on moving into a big 5 bed room mansion in a better part of the town, like the Duggars do you know...

I'm a little envious about real estate in NWA to be honest. I would love to live in a big house and not cramped up and a pay a fortune every month...do you think the Seewalds would sell to a lesbian couple? muahahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AprilQuilt

Erm... Jessa's latest instagram? Did God make Pterodactyls then? six thousand years ago? The mental gymnastics involved in Creationism makes my head hurt a bit.

(I cant link to it because I'm inept. Sorry.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingeyk
59 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

Erm... Jessa's latest instagram? Did God make Pterodactyls then? six thousand years ago? The mental gymnastics involved in Creationism makes my head hurt a bit.

(I cant link to it because I'm inept. Sorry.)

I googled some of the men involved in that movie (Genesis: Paradise Lost for those without IG access), and one of them has a PhD in biology but doesn’t ‘believe’ in evolution, in case anyone was curious as to what type of movie this is going to be. 

  • Upvote 15
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SapphireSlytherin
5 hours ago, eveandadam said:

ily it would be wiser to keep the lot and built the house they have an extension for all the 15 sons they are going to have,

Their house/land is literally between two highways. An interstate runs directly behind it. It’s not a good location for a house. Google earth will show that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VelociRapture
2 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

Erm... Jessa's latest instagram? Did God make Pterodactyls then? six thousand years ago? The mental gymnastics involved in Creationism makes my head hurt a bit.

(I cant link to it because I'm inept. Sorry.)

Here you go:

 

  • Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
formergothardite
15 hours ago, GreatScott said:

I wonder if the ‘normal’ we see from the seewalds verses the Dillards is simply Ben and Jessa learned to shut up. 

It could be that Ben and Jessa are the Kelly Bates of the Duggar family. Kelly learned fairly quickly how to hide the crazy and appear more likable. She didn't change any beliefs, she just learned to keep quiet and present a better public image. I imagine that is what Ben and Jessa have done. 

  • Upvote 33
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
singsingsing

I have no doubt whatsoever that Ben and Jessa believe pretty much the same shit Derick and Jill do. Ben definitely deviates on certain issues, but I'm under no illusion that he's not just as transphobic as Derick, for example. It is possible that he and Jessa believe in being nicer to people - maybe? - but their core beliefs would be the same. These are people who believe that Jesus created dinosaurs 6,000 years ago, for crying out loud. They believe in gay conversion therapy. The same goes for Jinger and Jeremy, by the way. None of them are even approaching what could be called 'moderate', they're all right-wing religious extremists. Derick has just chosen a very vocal, obnoxious path in his attempt to evangelize. The others are a bit more insidious.

  • Upvote 39
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rachel333
10 hours ago, eveandadam said:

I'm a little envious about real estate in NWA to be honest. I would love to live in a big house and not cramped up and a pay a fortune every month...do you think the Seewalds would sell to a lesbian couple? muahahaha

Ha, I don't know about the Seewalds, but the area in general is pretty progressive. The mayor of Fayetteville, who is very popular and is on his third term, marches in the Fayetteville Pride parade every year, for example.

I've been really homesick lately and badly want to move back to NWA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VeryNikeSeamstress
6 hours ago, Jingeyk said:

I googled some of the men involved in that movie (Genesis: Paradise Lost for those without IG access), and one of them has a PhD in biology but doesn’t ‘believe’ in evolution, in case anyone was curious as to what type of movie this is going to be. 

Based on the pterodactyls in the movie promo, I'm expecting something like this:

Spoiler

movieposter.jpg

 

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 26
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QuiverFullofBooks
4 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Ha, I don't know about the Seewalds, but the area in general is pretty progressive. The mayor of Fayetteville, who is very popular and is on his third term, marches in the Fayetteville Pride parade every year, for example.

I've been really homesick lately and badly want to move back to NWA.

The Eureka Springs area has a large LGBT community. I hear they have frequent pride parades. I stayed in an AirBNB near the airport (and the Stonybrook house) where the owners were gay men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thinandfit
6 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Based on the pterodactyls in the movie promo, I'm expecting something like this:

  Reveal hidden contents

movieposter.jpg

 

But instead of Barney and Betty it will be Adam and Eve!

And why do these people insist on taking this part of the bible literally - I am Catholic and we are encouraged to explore and discover science, evolution etc as God has given us the ability to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carm_88
14 hours ago, thinandfit said:

But instead of Barney and Betty it will be Adam and Eve!

And why do these people insist on taking this part of the bible literally - I am Catholic and we are encouraged to explore and discover science, evolution etc as God has given us the ability to do so.

I think it's because they have no critical thinking skills, that's not encouraged. So, they have to take most things at face value. 

  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
singsingsing

It blows my mind that they supposedly read their Bibles so often, and do yearly read-throughs and so on, and can still take it literally. I can't imagine how they do that. Either they're incredibly stupid, or they've got some major cognitive dissonance going on. I don't want to make it sound like I think anyone who takes the Bible literally is stupid, because I don't. But I've read the Bible straight through, too. I love the Bible. It's an amazing collection of ancient literature, and definitely contains a lot of wisdom that can be applicable to our own lives. But it's next to impossible to take it literally as the inerrant word of God. I just don't get how they do it.

Edit: Upon further reflection, I guess I do get it. It's like @Carm_88 said: no critical thinking skills. They just take everything at face value. They have fundie apologists who neatly explain away all the weirdness and contradictions (and, imo, destroy the Bible in the process). Their parents and pastors tell them that the Bible is the literal word of God, so they believe them. I get it, I just don't like it. :( 

Edited by singsingsing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×