IGNORED

Seewalds 28: Marketing Kids as Deflection

Coconut Flan

24 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

It blows my mind that they supposedly read their Bibles so often, and do yearly read-throughs and so on, and can still take it literally. I can't imagine how they do that. [...]

Edit: Upon further reflection, I guess I do get it. It's like @Carm_88 said: no critical thinking skills. [...] I get it, I just don't like it.

Yes. I think it highlights the power of indoctrination, dogma, and community. If you grow up being taught something like literal inerrancy from the earliest age, and remain part of a community who all believe that (and denounce its opposite), and meet regularly with people to reinforce that ingrained belief... it's going to take a lot to overcome all that. We like to think we're rational creatures and only believe things based on logic and evidence, but we don't realize what a powerful influence indoctrination and social community have on our cognitive process. This last decade has been a real eye-opener for me in this regard.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that for the vast majority of us, the reason that it is so hard to believe is that we had critical thinking skills taught to us from a young age. I know that I was analyzing and looking for themes and different meanings in books in elementary school. By the time high school came about, the teachers wanted to know what we thought. The Duggars don't have this, they think what their parents think and it's all about how good you are at parroting. So where we can see allegory, they see it literally. 

Except, the homeschool version of fundies aren't taught critical thinking or about different literature types.  So they don't 'get' allegory.  Or that 'history' is a capturing of stories told from generation to generation.  And that, from my perspective, is one of the benefits of cult thinking is to keep folks ignorant so they don't know the truth.  Which I also find a bit intriguing when comparing that thought process to the knowledge that one of the reasons we have the Bible in English and not Latin or Greek is because protestants fought to get scripture into the language of the people and out of the hands of priests only.  

4 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Again, the core of the problem with all these people is the lack of secular education.

that and normalcy because these people aren't normal.  Grifters are not normal. Child molestation is not considering normal and pushed aside.  nothing about this cult is normal. 

6 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I kind of want to see this mess, but only if I can have alcohol.

I'll go with you if you promise to share. :pb_lol:

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'll go too, but only if we can snark out loud. Guffaw, even.

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Deal. I need a snark/drinking buddy. We can use these to smuggle alcohol into the theater: 

the-winerack-bra-model.jpg

2 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I'll go too, but only if we can snark out loud. Guffaw, even.

Of course, I don't see how we could resist. 

28 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I kind of want to see this mess, but only if I can have alcohol.

It will be like Twilight all over again, I am in! 

Just go to the dine in theatre--you can buy alcohol!!!!!

Lookit all those doctors in the small print, this MUST be the truth ;)

1 hour ago, nst said:

that and normalcy because these people aren't normal.  Grifters are not normal. Child molestation is not considering normal and pushed aside.  nothing about this cult is normal. 

But they do try to cover the cult up. Wearing jeans, to name one. First Jinger and now Jill. 

20 minutes ago, GracieLou Free Duggar said:

Just go to the dine in theatre--you can buy alcohol!!!!!

Lookit all those doctors in the small print, this MUST be the truth ;)

I wonder how many of those PhDs are honorary? Lol

IF THERE ISN'T AT LEAST ONE DINO IN A HAT IN THIS MOVIE (like at the Creation Museum) I AM GOING TO BE SO MAD, I TELL YOU WHAT.

27 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

IF THERE ISN'T AT LEAST ONE DINO IN A HAT IN THIS MOVIE (like at the Creation Museum) I AM GOING TO BE SO MAD, I TELL YOU WHAT.

AND Jesus better be riding a pterodactyl in this movie! That would be so badass. 

6 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Again, the core of the problem with all these people is the lack of secular education.

Or any kind of education.

3 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

AND Jesus better be riding a pterodactyl in this movie! That would be so badass. 

Do you think they included Barney? Or is he too mainstream for fundies? 

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Do you think they included Barney? Or is he too mainstream for fundies? 

Oooh, good question. Probably not, since he loves people...

7 hours ago, adidas said:

Will there be nudity before the fall? If not I probably won’t watch it. I already know what happens at the end. 

No, I think Eve will be wearing this lovely outfit. How modest and it's all natural. No chemicals added. 

HTB1kNMFKVXXXXaKXVXXq6xXFXXXt.jpg

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

No, I think Eve will be wearing this lovely outfit. How modest and it's all natural. No chemicals added. 

HTB1kNMFKVXXXXaKXVXXq6xXFXXXt.jpg

But there’s no skirt! HOW WILL WE KNOW SHES FEMALE IF SHES DRESSED LIKE ADAM?!?!?! 

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

But there’s no skirt! HOW WILL WE KNOW SHES FEMALE IF SHES DRESSED LIKE ADAM?!?!?! 

It's OK. She'll have a huge stretchy headband with a flower on it. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived