IGNORED

Olivia of Fresh Modesty Engaged

0 kids n not countin

Nope, not yet. Her last photo on her Instagram is from the day before the wedding. Maybe they went on the honeymoon and haven't had time/decent internet to upload any photos? Or maybe she just wants to give it some time. 

A wedding pic is up on her instagram. Her dress is kinda pretty I think. But totally different from what I had thought she would wear.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Iamhispurity said:

A wedding pic is up on her instagram. Her dress is kinda pretty I think. But totally different from what I had thought she would wear.

Looks like they had dancing at their reception. They danced to "How Deep Is Your Love" by the Bee Gees for their first dance. I think it's kind of cute that they chose an older song for that. I wonder if they choreographed that first dance. 

In a way the dress surprised me but in another way it so fits with what her style seems to me. Not particularly stylish or any more modest than most of the women around me, but dowdier than her age. I was expecting she'd go more fancy/vintage than that for the wedding dress.

Wow. I really hate her dress. It might be kind of nice for an older bride (like 40+), but on her it just looks super frumpy. I'm disappointed - I thought she'd look much nicer.

Aaaand that was my completely superficial, worth-nothing comment of the day. ;)

ETA: On a non-BEC note: Please tell me this post does not mean she is treating her Lyme disease with Plexus crap???

Edited by JillyO

Absolutely hate her dress! I was expecting soon much more from her. This just looks like she sewed a dress just so she would have something to cover her body - never mind what it looks like

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

ETA: On a non-BEC note: Please tell me this post does not mean she is treating her Lyme disease with Plexus crap???

FFS, it looks as though she is doing just that.  Dear God.  She needs to take Lyme seriously.

I can't see enough of her dress in that photo to make a call either way.  The cut is typical Fundie but the fabric might be nice.   It is probably better looking than a strapless dress clumsily altered to be modest anyway.

• Upvote 1

My boyfriend only maybe-might have-was in an area with a lot of deer ticks better be safe- had Lyme disease and had to do the 28 day antibiotic course. It's that serious.

I also hate the dress.

Edited by Pravda_Iskra

The dress was "meh"... but the seams seemed to be well done, and it hung nicely on her. Not easy to do. She does have some mad sewing skilz.

3 hours ago, jozina said:

In a way the dress surprised me but in another way it so fits with what her style seems to me. Not particularly stylish or any more modest than most of the women around me, but dowdier than her age. I was expecting she'd go more fancy/vintage than that for the wedding dress.

This is how I've always felt about her style too. "I paired a t-shirt with a maxi skirt! The colors don't really match! How innovative!"

• Upvote 6

I've always suspected that she only gets a pass on her "fashion" because she's conventionally pretty. Put the weird mis-matched thrift store junk on a plainer girl and she'd be read to filth. (Critiqued harshly, for those who don't speak drag queen!) 

Anyhow,I'll reserve judgement on the dress until I see a better shot but I'm not expecting much.

• Upvote 7

Umm, is it just me, or is dedicating a blog, + Instagram, + countless pictures of oneself to "modesty" a bit ironic?

Yeah, yeah, I get it, the boho/thrift store/Gothard-chic style is the message, but, you know, you're still drawing a ton of attention to yourself. Aren't those oft-quoted bible passages also about unnecessary attention, you know, not just tempting the menfolk with knees and collarbones? 

Probably been discussed ad nauseum, but, trying to get back into my FJ groove...

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, jozina said:

Yeah, I'd say she definitely missed the mark on "fresh". And the bare arms wouldn't pass muster with people who are generally obsessed with modesty, although it's certainly modest enough by conventional standards. It's better than a lot of other fundie wedding dresses, but I would expect more from someone who owns a clothing line too. 

ETA: Ok, having actually looked at the "clothing line" for the first time, maybe I shouldn't expect more. 3 shirts that you pressed your logo on to and one shapeless denim skirt do not a fashion line make :pb_confused:

I'll reserve judgement on her dress till I see a better pic, but for the moment it seems rather dowdy and not at all what I'd have expected from someone with such an interest in fashion.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, PracticeMakesProgress said:

Umm, is it just me, or is dedicating a blog, + Instagram, + countless pictures of oneself to "modesty" a bit ironic?

Yeah, yeah, I get it, the boho/thrift store/Gothard-chic style is the message, but, you know, you're still drawing a ton of attention to yourself. Aren't those oft-quoted bible passages also about unnecessary attention, you know, not just tempting the menfolk with knees and collarbones? 

Probably been discussed ad nauseum, but, trying to get back into my FJ groove...

Friends have been encouraging our daughter to start a fashion-focused IG account and she is hesitant for the reasons you stated. 

2 hours ago, alba said:

I'll reserve judgement on her dress till I see a better pic, but for the moment it seems rather dowdy and not at all what I'd have expected from someone with such an interest in fashion.

I've never thought she was all that fashionable. Some things she wears are cute, but her taste in clothes is very "southern belle," and often borders on teenaged rather than mature young woman. I also don't think her sense of proportions and color are particularly fantastic, either.

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Looks like they had dancing at their reception. They danced to "How Deep Is Your Love" by the Bee Gees for their first dance. I think it's kind of cute that they chose an older song for that. I wonder if they choreographed that first dance. 

Well, they certainly are living in a world of fools, so I guess I'll give them that.

my young adult daughter, who has severe Lupus, would be thrilled to have an illness fairly easily treatable with a round of antibiotics. So shut up, Olivia, about your plexus making it all better.

• Upvote 4

Realizing how single she still was after the business craziness started to calm,

woah, i'm amazed at this way of thinking the fundie girls have. they probably wake up, realize they're single, and get sad

I've never thought she was all that fashionable. Some things she wears are cute, but her taste in clothes is very "southern belle," and often borders on teenaged rather than mature young woman. I also don't think her sense of proportions and color are particularly fantastic, either.

Oh, I don't think she's fashionable, either, but she does seem to care about fashion, if that makes sense. That dress doesn't look like the dress of a woman who cares about fashion (even one who cares in an Edina Monsoon way); it just looks very plain.
  • Upvote 2

I also expected a lot more from her dress, especially since her bridesmaid dresses were sparkly gold! The instagram pic is not the greatest, but I think this dress she tried on looked better. 

Skjermbilde 2016-09-01 kl. 14.08.52.png

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

I also expected a lot more from her dress, especially since her bridesmaid dresses were sparkly gold! The instagram pic is not the greatest, but I think this dress she tried on looked better. 

Skjermbilde 2016-09-01 kl. 14.08.52.png

I have to agree with you! But I think the general shape of the dress she made is the same - as much as I can judge it by the blurry picture. Was it perhaps a matter of not being able to afford a store bought dress? Or at least not the one she liked? I know the material is not cheap either but you can get some pretty crazy deals on fabric.

I have to agree with you! But I think the general shape of the dress she made is the same - as much as I can judge it by the blurry picture. Was it perhaps a matter of not being able to afford a store bought dress? Or at least not the one she liked? I know the material is not cheap either but you can get some pretty crazy deals on fabric.

I know Olivia is very concerned about ethical fashion and not buying things from sweat shops, so that might be a contributing factor. That said, that picture looks like it was taken in a second-hand shop, so should be both affordable and ethical.

44 minutes ago, alba said:

I know Olivia is very concerned about ethical fashion and not buying things from sweat shops, so that might be a contributing factor. That said, that picture looks like it was taken in a second-hand shop, so should be both affordable and ethical.

Yes, the picture is from a second hand shop. This is what she wrote in her blog about making her own dress:

Until last week when I walked into Jo-Ann's and saw THE lace, I wasn't sure I wanted to make my dress. I figured I'd keep checking consignment stores until I found something good enough. But, when I saw that fabric I knew exactly what I wanted and decided to make my dress. I'm using a pattern I've used several times before and so far it's going so well! I'm taking pictures of the process so I'll definitely share those after the wedding! 

Oh, there's LACE on the dress? Maybe it really is just a bad picture, then. It looks like a plain satin or something to me.

I wore lace for my wedding, so I might be biased, but if that dress is actually lace then I think it's quite nice XD
  • Upvote 1

The skirt on the dress looks lovely, but I'm not a fan of the bodice. It looks almost...vest like. Not a fan. 

And I can't believe she's taking Plexus for Lyme disease. I get that medical care is expensive in this country, but there are clinics for people who can't afford a hospital. There's no need to resort to quackery. And if she's doing it out of choice and my perceived necessity....then it's just plain moronic. 

• Upvote 1