IGNORED

The PAIN!!!!

Snarkylark

I had my wisdom teeth out last week. Still can't go more than 6 hours w/o the ibuprofen. Trying not to take the narcotic unless I'm desperate. Is it normal 6 days out to have a lot of pain? Two were erupted (those don't hurt at all that I can tell) but the lower one was impacted and feels like where the pain is coming from deep in my jaw. Now it has also started to have an itchy component to it too:tw_flushed:. Is this normal??? I see my dr tomorrow for follow up but just wondering what some of your experiences were. Pain w/o meds is a solid 6 out of 10 and peaks to a seven at times, maybe more. Enough to make me cranky!! The ibuprofen helps bring it down to a 1.

So, followed up with oral surgeon today. He thinks it's possibly a dry socket even thought the onset is kind of late. He put some clove oil in the socket and the pain was gone an hour later and still gone now with no pain meds:) Ahhhh, much better!

• 1 month later...

Hey @Snarkylark, I'm glad you're feeling better! I totally feel your pain - I had my wisdom teeth out one year ago today, and it absolutely sucked. Are you still feeling better? I actually had a lot of ongoing pain after mine too, so I totally get what you're going through. I'm very, very prone to headaches and migraines, and every now and then when I feel a migraine coming on, some of the aches feel eerily similar to how my wisdom teeth felt back when they were still in and gnashing against my other teeth. :smiley-signs131: I never thought much of it and heard that phantom pains can happen after wisdom teeth surgery so I've just been dealing with it, but your post got me thinking...I should probably get that checked, since it has been quite a while...ugh.

Anyway, ibuprofen helps me tons whenever it does flare up. That, and an ice pack to the head, are really the only things that help me!  I hope you're continuing to feel better and do let us know how the rest of the recovery has been going.

@boston2495 thanks for your concern. I'm doing very well. After he put the clove oil in I had NO more pain, at all! I didn't have pain before I had them out. I would have left them in forever and that was my plan. I went for my cleaning and dentist always says I should think about getting them out but if there aren't any problems then why do it?? However, a couple weeks after seeing her, I had some sort of exposed root (very tiny hole at the gum line, no pain though) so I decided to put on my big girl panties and deal with it. Wasn't going to get it filled and because they are so far back just decided to get them removed. My top two were already erupted so they were simple extractions. The bottom one gave me the pain and that one was partially impacted. I thought the pain was because of that but the dentist said of the clove oil helped that it was probably a dry socket. Sorry so long, but I'm doing well and am glad it's over! 

16 hours ago, Snarkylark said:

@boston2495 thanks for your concern. I'm doing very well. After he put the clove oil in I had NO more pain, at all! I didn't have pain before I had them out. I would have left them in forever and that was my plan. I went for my cleaning and dentist always says I should think about getting them out but if there aren't any problems then why do it?? However, a couple weeks after seeing her, I had some sort of exposed root (very tiny hole at the gum line, no pain though) so I decided to put on my big girl panties and deal with it. Wasn't going to get it filled and because they are so far back just decided to get them removed. My top two were already erupted so they were simple extractions. The bottom one gave me the pain and that one was partially impacted. I thought the pain was because of that but the dentist said of the clove oil helped that it was probably a dry socket. Sorry so long, but I'm doing well and am glad it's over! 

I'm glad to hear it!! Now you've just given me some inspiration to go and get mine looked at again, argh. See, it's one of those things that I am perfectly fine to ignore the 95% of the time when it's not hurting...

Hope you get it figured out. I'm such a baby when it comes to my teeth. It's my kryptonite!

Archived