IGNORED

What are you Reading (Part 2)?

keen23

I needed a quick easy read, so I am reading The Princess Diarist. I received it as an Xmas gift and couldn't really bring myself to read it at the time. Right now I am going through some stuff(also why I joined FJ now) and trying to take my mind off it, so Carrie Fisher seemed like a good way to do that.

Edited by Blahblah
Remove signature
  • Upvote 3

@OtterRuletheWorld Welcome and I hope the book is funny enough that it takes you completely out of this world. 

God help me I'm still reading biographies. I'm currently reading In Triumph's Wake: Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters, and the Price They Paid for Glory! 

• Upvote 2

I finished a lackluster read on audio yesterday - When She Was Good (or something like that) By Laura Lippmann.

Spoiler

My mind at one point got stuck in  "please explain to me why you are not using a tips hotline and why she can't make said anonymous call to turn this guy in? "  And I hadn't connected to the character to meh.   

• Upvote 1

Finished up in In Triumph's Wake and Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson. I am not sure what is next on the list.

• Upvote 1

I'm reading Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk which is about an old woman in NYC in the 80's, reminiscing about NYC when she was in her 20's and such. It's okay.

I am also listening to the audiobook of The Good Nurse, which is a true crime story of a nurse who would kill his patients and he bounced around from hospital to hospital, never getting caught. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/24/2017 at 9:57 AM, clueliss said:

I finished a lackluster read on audio yesterday - When She Was Good (or something like that) By Laura Lippmann.

Laura Lippmann is hit or miss.  Some have been really good while others are..meh. I like that her books are set in Baltimore and I want a Greyhound like Esskay.

Lippmann is the wife of David Simon creator of The Wire, Homicide: Life on the Streets and Treme. He is one of may all time favorites.   I recommend 'The Corner' (also a min-series) a non-fiction book about life in the drug trade in west Baltimore.

• Upvote 3

In high school and college, I was very interested in Greek and Roman mythology, but in recent years I've let that interest drop off.  I just finished reading "The Immortals" by Jordanna Max Brodsky, which involves the extended family of gods devolving over centuries into mere semi-mortals and living their fading lives in the New York City area.

The novel focuses on Artemis, who is a defender of women, among other attributes.  Of course, this leads her to solve crimes, and in this sense the book is a typical murder mystery.  The interesting aspect of the novel, to me, is that it is really a good refresher on the names, relationships, rituals, etc., of the gods, wrapped up in modern trappings.  The novel is well-written and the plot is pretty decent.  "The Immortals" is the first of a series, and if I can find the next one on sale, I'll continue on.

• Upvote 3

I just finished Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton. It wasn't my favorite Kinsey Millhone book but any Kinsey is better than no Kinsey. I'm going to be sad if there's only one book left in the series. I hope she starts over with A is for Again. (Or something.) I watched Rebellion on Netflix about the Irish Rising in 1916 and now I want to read about it.

• Upvote 2

I'm reading The Madwoman Upstairs by Catherine Lowell. I like historical fiction about real people :giggle:. It's about a Bronte descendant and a how she looks for the family legacy. 

• Upvote 3

I'm reading my way through the Little House series (for about the 50th time.) I'm on Little House on the Prairie right now. 

I'm also reading On a Street Called Easy, in a Cottage Called Joye (which has been pretty good so far.) 

But I'm struggling a bit with reading right now because I have a bad cold, and my brain is foggy. 

• Upvote 3

I'm listening to the audiobook of just-released "Glass Houses" by Louise Penny, the latest in the Armand Gamache series.   I've also just discovered a YA novella in the same series called "The Hangman" which I'm in line for using Library To Go.  Once I finish those, I'll just have to wait [im]patiently for her to write the next one...

Next I'm thinking of starting the "Bones" series by Kathy Reichs.  The Quebec setting for both series is purely coincidental on my part, but the murder mystery is definitely my genre...

I've also just started reading "What The Dog Knows" by Cat Warren, about dogs' sense of scent and how they can be trained to be drug or cadaver dogs, etc.

In recent months I've also read "The 5 Love Languages" and the first part of "Why Does He Do That" (might return to that one later -- interesting but too intense/slow reading for me at the moment) and listened to "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle".  (I guess dogs and relationship psychology are also my genres, lol)

• Upvote 3

Embarrassing confession time: I'm reading a Danielle Steel novel. I'm on a kick lately where I'm re-reading books I read when I was about 10-14. And sadly, my taste at that age was sometimes quite bad. I'm reading Jewels. It's as awful as I remembered. But it's like bad TV, where it's so bad it almost loops back around and becomes good again. I'm ashamed to admit how much I'm enjoying reading it. 

• Upvote 7

Finished The Husband's Secret by Liana Moriarity (audio) - did enjoy it as well as the previous 2 books by same author (Little Big Lies and something else the title of which escapes me).  Now have Cold Days by Jim Butcher going.

• Upvote 4

I've been reading quite a lot of Sabrina Jeffries lately. I'm on the last book of The Hellions of Halstead Hall series. It's quite good. Bodice rippers and all that. *embarrassed* 

I read Rosemary's Baby and Royal Panopoly, which were both pretty good. 

@RoseWilder If you're embarrassed I should be too. Jewels is so bad it's good. I can't help but like it and alllll the drama. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

@RoseWilder If you're embarrassed I should be too. Jewels is so bad it's good. I can't help but like it and alllll the drama. 

Somebody stop me - I'm considering watching the TV movie to go along with the book. The trailer for the movie looks horrendous. I can't wait to watch it 3 times!

I just checked and my local library has a copy of the DVD. I'm doing it. I'm totally doing it!

• Upvote 2

I am almost finished with "Scarlett" - the GWTW sequel.  I hear there is a "Rhett" sequel out there.

I just started "The Charm Bracelet", an easy read, but an interesting one so far.

• Upvote 2

I've read The Green Mile by Stephen King, Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey, and Three Sisters, Three Queens by Philippa Gregory. I'm reading a mix of Nancy: The Story of Lady Astor by Adrian Fort and 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill. (Who is equally as creepy as his father, Stephen King :P )

• Upvote 2

I'm reading The Glass Castle. I saw the movie commercial and it looked kinda interesting. The book is actually good. I like it so far. Very fast read but holy  crap it's kinda frustrating. I won't give spoilers why it's frustrating. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/6/2017 at 1:36 PM, RoseWilder said:

Embarrassing confession time: I'm reading a Danielle Steel novel. I'm on a kick lately where I'm re-reading books I read when I was about 10-14. And sadly, my taste at that age was sometimes quite bad. I'm reading Jewels. It's as awful as I remembered. But it's like bad TV, where it's so bad it almost loops back around and becomes good again. I'm ashamed to admit how much I'm enjoying reading it. 

i don't think i ever read Jewels, but i did like her historical ones back in the early 90s, particularly Zoya and Thurston House.  i reread Thurston house about 10 years ago and was so disappointed that it wasn't as good as i remembered.  i won't reread Zoya for that very reason.  Fine Things and Kaleidoscope sucked the first time around; sappy drivel.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, catlady said:

i don't think i ever read Jewels, but i did like her historical ones back in the early 90s, particularly Zoya and Thurston House.  i reread Thurston house about 10 years ago and was so disappointed that it wasn't as good as i remembered.  i won't reread Zoya for that very reason.  Fine Things and Kaleidoscope sucked the first time around; sappy drivel.

I'm about 70 pages into Jewels and so far it's as good as I remembered (good in the sense that it's entertaining, not in the sense that it's well written.) 

The other Danielle Steel novels I read at the time were: 

Zoya (all I remember about that is how bad Melissa Gilbert's accent was in the TV movie) 

Mixed Blessings

Heartbeat

Fine Things (I agree with you. It was awful) 

And I can't remember the name of it, but there was one about the Titanic. 

I have Mixed Blessings and Heartbeat in my to-read stacks. 

I'm going to have to read a lot of good literature to balance out all these crappy books I'm reading. 

• Upvote 2

I finished reading Jewels. It was fantastically awful. And now I'm watching the movie. I'm only 10 minutes in and the acting is so bad that it feels like I'm watching local community theater. 

• Upvote 2

I'm on a history kick right now, rereading a bunch of old college textbooks. I recently finished Good Wives, Nasty Wenches and Anxious Patriarchs: Gender, Race and Power in Colonial Virginia and I started The Minutemen and their World. I also have Laurel Thatcher Ulrich's new book A house full of females : plural marriage and women's rights in early Mormonism, 1835-1870 requested at the library.

• Upvote 3

After seeing the picture Neil posted today of David Tennant as Crowley and Michael Sheen as Aziraphale, the idea that there is going to be an actual movie of one of my favorite books, I had to get the book out again and give it a reread, so I'm reading Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's "Good Omens."

• Upvote 2

I'm reading No-Drama Discipline. Over the 9 years I worked as a nanny and the 3 years I've been taking care of my niece, I've read tons of parenting/childcare books and this is the best one I've ever read. 

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic