IGNORED

Those poor, misunderstood Pearls..../CNN Clip [Merge]

Koala

It may be cultural. What you and I view as creepy and terrifying may come across to some as folksy and down to earth.

This.

In some of his preaching videos, he's doing chores -- sitting on the tractor, cutting up a fish, etc. It seems that is meant to be part of the appeal.

I have said that, if I didn't know who they were and what they preach, I might see this pic as a couple of old hippies who love one another, but wouldn't claim to know any more about them, their relationship or their philosophy:

Z1AxANDl.jpg

In the pictures of Pearl knife-throwing, he is often in a yellow leather vest which looks like a ripped-up dirty shirt at first.

And the ones from the Rodrigues blog were of him in the middle of working on building his house, so of course he's in filthy work clothes.

None of that would inspire either admiration or disgust from me. But then, I tend to be from the "looks don't tell me anything" school of thought.

His actions and words are disgusting enough.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may be cultural. What you and I view as creepy and terrifying may come across to some as folksy and down to earth. (True confession: I have to work very hard not to assume that a Southern accent automatically equals racist.)

It doesn't. Many Southerners are sickened by the Pearls' child "training" methods, and them for the evil people they are. My 86 year old grandmother thinks Mike Pearl is a "sick evil excuse for a man" (her exact words).

"We don't believe in childproofing the home, we believe in home-proofing the child." :cray-cray:

ETA: Isn't there a section of TTUAC where he talks about doing that with an(unloaded)gun to teach them not to touch it?

The Pearls often create problems where there doesn't have to be any. A gate solves a lot of problems and doesn't involve a parent having to repeatedly spank a child to teach him/her to not go somewhere dangerous.

Someone mentioned the discrepancy between the ages that Rebekah was supposed to have crawled. In TTUAC, she is listed as four months; however, the Pearls aren't very consistent. They often make statements that seem to oppose something else that they wrote or said.

Archived