IGNORED

FLDS boys that escaped, became secular

I read that yesterday! HBO's show, Vice, did a segment on some of these lost boys. (Yesterday I was really on a polygamy roll)

Not only do they not know the president, but they don't even know what a president is.

And this quote:

The brothers' learning curve is often steep. On his first ocean swim, Zach gulped water and nearly vomited: He'd never heard of saltwater.

Now Willie (longtime flds spokesman) has broken away and he bought Warren Jeff's personal compound. He says he plans to use it as a home for the elderly or a school. He says he really wants to see the school reopen. Warren is still issuing crazy edicts from jail and unfortunately he still has a lot of followers.

Interesting article. I've read about other older Lost Boys. Brent Jeffs who is the nephew of Warren Jeffs wrote a memoir titled Lost Boy about his experiences of breaking away from the FLDS.

• 1 year later...

I wanted to add a positive story I witnessed recently. My kids attend a very conservative LDS school. I was sitting through the 3 hour awards night, hearing the same LDS family names called for perfect 4.0's, BYU scholarships and watched the lovely well dressed young people walk across the stage holding their mission calls up.

I had known there were a growing number of polygamist kids that had left Colorado City and were attending the high school. I was pleasantly surprised when the school honored them last night for being able to complete high school in 2 years or less after basically starting from scratch (these boys had no formal education or were home schooled before 15-16). The school did not call them out for being polygamists, they did it respectfully saying these boys had many obstacles to being able to attend school and when they got an opportunity they were able to complete 4 years in 2 years because of their hard work. I also am happy to report they all had scholarships.

Archived