IGNORED

Modesty Tests for Eight-Year-Old Girls

QAF_Rocks

Guest Anonymous
Clearly the writer is an idiot. You don't wear white underwear under white pants or short. You wear nude colored underwear so they don't show through the fabric. And if you are me, you don't own white undergarments. I hate the way white bras look under white shirts.... so, almost all of my undergarments are nude colored. Again, I'm a freak. Carry on...

This. But then again, the author might think that nude might be too close to naked and be equally as defrauding.

Either way, bad advice.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get bothered by this because these fundys seem to care more about the rules of modesty than how they actually behave. Sure they go on occasional mission trips, and make tater tot casserole for a friend. They separate themselves from the world. What about helping people that aren't like them. What about that single mother struggling. Do they let their kids play with her kids or are they a bad influence? Such a small, small pathetic world they put themselves in.

This sort of thing reminds of something I read on a Mormon blog where posters said they were 'training' the children to wear modest clothes/suits on Sundays so that it wouldn't feel strange when they were expected to cover garments when they were older or when they were deacons. It assumed they would all stay in the church. IMO, it sounded like they were 'training' their children to have issues about their bodies.

When I first saw this, I am ashamed to say that I kinda sounded a like Bobcat Goldthwait skit (think 'AEIOU' ran together in various combinations to make a sentence). I remember when this kinda crap started becoming popular in the fundie movement (and I had hoped and PRAYED that it would finally fall into the background, but alas, not so much) - and as a preteen at the time, even I thought that it was out there. Honestly? Who the hell shames a child/makes a little girl into the victim? :angry-screaming: I would have far fewer problems with the page it's self if the wording wouldn't have put all the blame onto the kid - or chose to have them 'police' their mother's dressing at the same time. Who does that?

The Mormon disney princess post went poof for me.

Re:body shaming. I have a close friend that I discuss body images issues with a lot. It is illuminating because we both see the other one as very beautiful and yes sexy but we completely miss it in ourselves. We have talked about how when we find ourselves body shaming others it is often over our own percieved deficiencies.

Future cleavage? Aren't pubescent girl's already likely to be insecure about their chests WITHOUT getting 'modesty' in the way?

Future husband? FUTURE HUSBAND?????!!! I don't... I can't... To many wrong assumptions and so much bullshit.

A bit OT: I saw a graphic on Pinterest that said:

'Pray for your future husband every day because you never know what trial or stuggle he is facing'

Yeah. Stuggle. SOTDRT or typo? Funny either way but also totally headdesk. Pray for some dude who you've never met and might not even exist.

Yeah. Stuggle. SOTDRT or typo? Funny either way but also totally headdesk. Pray for some dude who you've never met and might not even exist.

Now the Duggars ren't the only things that have made me laugh so hard I cry this week :lol: .

Yeah. Stuggle. SOTDRT or typo? Funny either way

Stuggles and riffles and Dna, oh my!

We had a thread on this a month or two ago.

To recap:

The basic guidelines themselves are not the problem. I've got similar guidelines, as well as a child who developed VERY early so that she had a chest when she was 7.

The problem is that the language used is gross and overtly sexual. It's possible to have a "shirt must cover the tummy even when arms are raised" rule without adding that tummies are intoxicating or that they need to be reserved for a future husband. And yes, I think that guidelines should apply to boys as well, starting with the "don't show your underwear" rule.

Well put, I completely agree.

My teenaged boy's school just implemented a new dress code and he was shocked to find that some of his shirts are too low cut now. I think we just don't notice as much on a male. They are not that low cut, just things like this:

V_NECK_T_SHIRTS_PACK_f8d927ab32edc2f37268_5.jpg

He has been working out to build up chest and abdominal muscles so he can wear stuff like that, so he has the sadz over it.

FWIW, the dress code at my kids' school doesn't allow boys to wear "muscle shirts" either.

Quite apart from any religious consideration, my own style/taste is quite conservative, and I really don't like the "wife beater" look for anything other than exercising (eg. a basketball jersey on a court is fine). I'm also not a fan of v-necks on men's shirts - we just went shopping for hubby and kept hunting for crew necks, because chest hairs sticking out of the v-neck just isn't a great professional look. [Full disclosure: I'm also the sort of person who dresses in black, with occasional flashes of gray, navy or chocolate brown for excitement. If you aren't, feel free to disregard my views on fashion.]

I think this picture would fail the modesty test. She's just kneeling and I can see a couple inches of her *knee* Imagine if she were sitting "apple sauce" style :naughty:

tumblr_m7jg7strbG1r9t2zdo1_1280.jpg

(Source: Duggars dot Tumblr dot com)

We didn't have a dress code, just uniforms ;) Even 17/18 year olds still had to wear the exciting white shirt, tie, black trousers/skirt, red V neck...and I didn't even get to wear the trousers (girls could) because my mum disapproved ;)

Archived