IGNORED

Q & A with the Maxwells

fundiefan

Well, not really, but it seems just a bit ironic that Sarah described exactly what they talked about as a family just days after it was wondered about.

Also, this line explained everything about life in Maxwell land.

It was also a joy for us Maxwell children to be able to speak to the young people.

Children? There is one offspring under the age of 18, yet Sarah refers to herself and her siblings as the 'children'.

Sarah, honey. Here's a tip. You are thirty years old. You are not among the 'children'. Your older brothers have four children you may easily refer to as the 'Maxwell children', but as you are old enough to be the mother of all all four of them, you do not belong in that category.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think at the Maxwell house you are not allowed to sit at the adult table until you produce a baby. Till then its the kid's table.

Really, couldn't she have said Maxwell siblings or something?

Guess the Maxwells are considered children until they marry. When you're speaking to the young people and not considered one of the young people yourself, that's a hint you're not one of the children. Since Sarah will never be allowed to get married, she's always going to call herself one of the children. I wish the Maxwells would do a real Q&A but that will never happen.

Did anyone note that they were driving home on Saturday night? I figure the religious conference probably closes on Sunday for church, but the Maxwells can't seem to stay for even one extra night with nonfamily members.

How much would it cost to stay overnight in their bus and then attend services with everyone? Or drive back after a night of rest? I feel this is just one more indication of how isolationist the Maxwells are even with other fundies.

I wonder how well their stuff is selling? Their stuff is not cheap, and there are more professional companies offering similar items. Still, with all their new electronic stuff, the family isn't running out of money. Of course, with several adult workers under one roof, no one has to make a ton of money to have enough cash to spare for pricy consumer items.

OMG the conference had a USED book fair. I can't believe they stayed around. Used book fairs are of the devil!!

OMG the conference had a USED book fair. I can't believe they stayed around. Used book fairs are of the devil!!

I'm sure they checked and made sure none of their materials were on offer.

I wonder why they changed the name of the one conference to Brothers and Sisters Best Friends Forever?

And what do you suppose Steve's new conference Where Are You Headed After High School is about?

I'm sure it's about encouraging kids to go to college, get their own apt. Yeah, right

I wonder why they changed the name of the one conference to Brothers and Sisters Best Friends Forever?

And what do you suppose Steve's new conference Where Are You Headed After High School is about?

I'm sure it's about encouraging kids to go to college, get their own apt. Yeah, right

My younger brother didn't want to become my best friend till about 6 weeks before I turned 21.

I thought Steve-O was developing a "courtship seminar" maybe Poor Sarah should attend.

No one can be forced to be best friends, or even friends. Unless they're Maxwells, I guess. My sister and I have been each other's best friend and worst enemy at countless times in our lives. Each time, each scenario, has been our choice based on our circumstances. Of course, we've also always lived lives with other people around, including friends of our own outside the family, so we didn't stick to each other by default.

No one can be forced to be best friends, or even friends. Unless they're Maxwells, I guess. My sister and I have been each other's best friend and worst enemy at countless times in our lives. Each time, each scenario, has been our choice based on our circumstances. Of course, we've also always lived lives with other people around, including friends of our own outside the family, so we didn't stick to each other by default.

This a whole set up so that the older unmarried girls can be servants to their elder married brothers and their spouses. These women are nothing but chattel to be passed between siblings for the purposes of performing free labor.

They might have changed the name because Sarah Mally and her family are doing conferences with a very similar title and I believe the Mallys were using it first.

My take on their latest post was that some of it seemed aimed at us once again, as there's been quite a bit of snarking in the last few weeks about their zero friend rule.

It seemed to try to emphasise to us that they do have friends "

We enjoyed fellowshipping with old friends
and that they could make new friends
It was also a joy for us Maxwell children to be able to speak to the young people.
but the best friends Maxwell's can have is with ones brother and sister.

Are you feeling insecure Stevie? :naughty:

The other point about them using the term children to describe themselves was that I described them on here a few weeks ago as 8 adults, 6 children and 2 adults....

Notice that most post pictures were of John.

Sarah, honey. Here's a tip. You are thirty years old. You are not among the 'children'. Your older brothers have four children you may easily refer to as the 'Maxwell children', but as you are old enough to be the mother of all all four of them, you do not belong in that category.

:clap:

Nowhere. There, saved Steve the trouble.

Guest Anonymous

I've only been following the Maxwell family for awhile now and I agree Steve is nuts and controlling but why is he not allowing Sarah to marry? He obviously allows his sons to do it. Why not Sarah? Will he allow the other girls to marry? I don't get it.

Nowhere. There, saved Steve the trouble.

:clap:

The whole "children" thing reminds me of the wedding I went to a few weeks ago, the bride was an old childhood friend. The couple had so few guests around their age (21/22) that they had a kids' table. One table. I personally found it a little condescending to be separated out... I'm a kid even though I have my own apartment and car and can drink etc. I was looking forward to talking to my family during dinner, and it's not like I can't carry on a conversation with people who are older than me. Also sad that it seemed like she had so few friends (I was only invited because her mom is still friends with my mom). The other guests were family friends, the parents' friends, or family members. Her family is kind-of weird about appearance/traditions, not religious by any stretch, but I would not be surprised if she was bumped up to an "adult" table at another gathering now that she is married, and her single friends would be at a kids' table again.

One and Done it seems like Sarah is there to be the "sacrificial" daughter, to provide whatever help they need around the house and probably a companion for Steve. Also I think there has been speculation that it's easier to let the boys marry because they are the head of their households so Steve doesn't have to "worry" so much about them being swayed by their spouse because their wife is supposed to submit to her husband and he would expect his sons to continue to follow him. Whereas for the girls he'd have to find a husband who toes his party line (or else she might "submit" to his request to do something ebil and/or f**) and that is admittedly difficult considering how crazy he is.

I've only been following the Maxwell family for awhile now and I agree Steve is nuts and controlling but why is he not allowing Sarah to marry? He obviously allows his sons to do it. Why not Sarah? Will he allow the other girls to marry? I don't get it.

Someone here said that Sarah has had offers, but nobody is good enough.

The ISB runs pretty much non-stop on this issue. In my opinion, it is because Steve is very narcissistic and selfish and wants to keep all his kids near him. If you look at the the sons, who are supposed to leave and cleave, they don't manage to make it very far. I think he knows if his daughters marry they will have to go away and live elsewhere and I don't think he can deal with that.

Someone here said that Sarah has had offers, but nobody is good enough.

It makes sense, when you consider the personalities involved. Daughters are taught to consider their fathers as the standard to which all potential suitors must measure up, and fathers are the "gatekeepers" for their daughters--they're only supposed to "surrender" them to someone as godly as themselves. When you put someone as egomaniacal as Steve in the driver's seat of his daughters' future, it's not a stretch to think that he'd be quick to shut down anyone sniffing after his daughter-wife.

I'm starting to see why people think John and Anna look like a couple :shock:

I do, too. I don't really think there's anything incestuous to it, but it does become increasingly obvious that they're very close. Considering John has been rebellious before, it makes me hope against hope that maybe they'll make a run for it together sometime during the next few years. It seems easier to leave such a crazy situation if one has a sibling to confide in.

I do, too. I don't really think there's anything incestuous to it, but it does become increasingly obvious that they're very close. Considering John has been rebellious before, it makes me hope against hope that maybe they'll make a run for it together sometime during the next few years. It seems easier to leave such a crazy situation if one has a sibling to confide in.

Ten bucks says Steve will split up Team B so they can't even confide in each other. :cry:

Ten bucks says Steve will split up Team B so they can't even confide in each other. :cry:

It's actually a miracle he hasn't already. On the other hand, his emphasis - as opposed to say the Duggars - seems to be more on "making sure the kids are each other's ONLY FRIENDS" than preventing opposite-sex siblings from interacting too much.

Is it my imagination or is one of the daughters wearing the same skirt as the Mother in those pictures? Just no.

Archived