IGNORED

[Repost] WHAT BECAME OF DOUGIE'S VETS?

Deleted12

SnarkyJan

Well, D-Day has come and gone and there's no mention of the extravaganza Dougie Phillips was planning in honor of the World War II vets. I was always horrified at the idea of him dragging a group of frail vets in their 80s and 90s back to Normandy, just to be trotted out for his dog and pony show tribute to the Greatest Generation. We saw photos galore of his dopey son pontificating bloviating expounding on the spiritual bankruptcy of Catholic architecture in Rome and Paris, but nary a real, live veteran in sight. Did he ever intend to pay tribute, or did the vets he did ask invite him to go pee up a rope?

MamaJunebug.freekatie

I'm similarly impatient.

After all, the VFstravaganza was just one of several reenactments and honoring ceremonies planned for 6 June, if Bing is to be believed.

Surely, it's a matter of video-editing the teaser for the website, that's gotta be the delay.

Although it kind of amused to think of Doug's minions elbowing out other commemorators, trying to get the best position on the beach. War is hell, after all.

SnarkyJan

Of course, maybe VF's dress-up uniforms didn't come back from the cleaners on time. How manly can you look in civvies?

blisterine

they were eaten by a giant anaconda.

bigmacattack

Must be a bit of a change for Dougie. Usually he's the one to eat one giant anaconda after the other.

MamaJunebug.freekatie

Oh, snap! OooooOOoooOoo....can you imagine the scene if something happened to prevent taping as planned? Hoo, boy. I bet ole dapper Doug and avuncular Scott turn into cold-raging vipers when things go wrong.

Ah, to be witness to it, some time. From a safe distance, of course.

Childless

I hope that people realized that Dougie was just angling for a free trip to Europe and didn't donate.

AthenaC

But, but... VF is the only group to POSSIBlLY offer an epistemologically correct version of World War II!!!!1!

A hungry world is crying out for moar Dougie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!

liltwinstar

Guys, we just haven't paid the $49.95 to access the 5 minute preview. Once we do that, we have to send $200 more to access the full video. But you know, it's a good cause, going to those vets...I mean, to Doug's pockets.

(kidding) (sorta)

SnarkyJan

No you're not, and I agree with you.

SnarkyJan

A VERY safe distance. An entire hemisphere would be just far enough.

Doomed Harlot

Liberty has her photos up on Picasa too. She just seems SO much more likeable and matter-of-fact that her horrid brother. Her captions are simple and straightforward.

Of course, she did think Morecraft parading his "Read Calvin" bag through St. Peter's was "most epic." Um, no.

Generation Cedarchips

Do you have Liberty's link?

clibbyjo

My 15 year old son and his friend are volunteering at a VA hospital. One of their jobs will be to take down the oral history of the Vets in service and type it up for a book. Its free,REAL and will give more info. then Doug and band of merry men anyday.

MamaJunebug.freekatie

Nothing to add, i just want to subscribe to this so I can see Liberty's snapshots when the link is posted.

Wait, there is something to add. Srsly! It costs to see the trailer!

The Great Predicta (that's me) gives it less than a week and the trailer will be available. Because everybody with extra money has already donated to Doug's vacation fund, and they won't be getting the hitz they need to sell the $200 version.

ETA, clibbyjo, your son's project moves my heart! I wish I'd been able to ask my dad about his WW2 experiences in more depth. Not that he'd've wanted to give any more detail than he offered, but yes, your son and his mates are doing a very, very good thing.

MamaJunebug.freekatie

I'm conphuzed -- haven't found the ad for a $49.95 preview -- you were kidding, eh? (slopes off in heat-related dullness, but chuckling @ self...)

fundiefan

I just assumed it was all part of what would be sold, so it was not going to be allowed anywhere for free public access.

Marian the Librarian

Dougie has topped his blog today with his latest swag: a 4-DVD set entitled "Into the Amazon: One Lost World, Thirty Men, Seven Mysteries." From which, I'm assuming, he anticipates making Fat Bank. One can only surmise he plans to do the same with his D-Day sojourns.

Anyone want to float some theories re: the Seven Mysteries???

MamaJunebug.freekatie

I'm not sure I can get all 7, but for starters:

1. Why do fools fall in love?

2. Why does my heart go on beating?

3. Why do these eyes of mine cry?

4. Don't they know it's the end of the world? (It ended when you said goodbye. I wake up every morning and I wonder,

5. Why everything's still as it was? (I can't understand, no I can't understand,

6. Why life goes on the way it does? And finally,

7. Where does my heart beat now?

With all apologies to Skeeter Davis and Celine Dion.

AthenaC

According to their site:

These seven mysteries are:

The Mystery of the Meaning of the Amazon

The Mystery of the Lost Legacy of Adventure and Dominion

The Mystery of the Strange Creatures of the Amazon

The Mystery of the Plants of the Amazon

The Mystery of the Lost Tribes

The Mystery of the Ica Stones and the Great Peruvian Desert

The Mystery of Machu Picchu and the Mighty Inca Empire

gardenvarietycitizen

What? They've left out "8. Just what is up with our wide stance on the issues?"

SnarkyJan

And 9. Who wrote the book of love?

liltwinstar

Sorry - yes, kidding about having to pay to see the trailer. I guess my attempt at sarcasm doesn't work so well when it's late at night and I'm posting in order to avoid doing boring homework

Anyway, with the way that Doug and VF try to rake in the money from the hoards of single-income families who don't have money to pay for health insurance, in some cases, just makes me sick. So I wouldn't put it past them to charge to see the trailer, since they charge for everything else...

defrauding

10. What are you doing the rest of your life?

SnarkyJan

11. (Sung as a chorus by the VF interns) "Stop In The Name Of Love".

thoughtful

Snarky Jan, Alex Trebek says "sorry, that was not in the form of a question."

MamaJunebug.freekatie

12. What were the chances we'd be sharing love before the night was through?

SnarkyJan

13. Are you lonesome tonight?

14. Oh what will happen to, the love I gave to you, what will I do with it now?

15. Did you ever have to make up your mind?

VodouDoll

16. Is this just real life?

17. Is this just fantasy?

MamaJunebug.freekatie

Ah, yes, mysteries, all!!!!!

SnarkyJan

18. Is this a lasting treasure, or just a moment's pleasure? So tell me now and I won't ask again-will you still love me tomorrow?

AthenaC

19. What do I have to do to make you want me? What do I have to do to make you understand? What do I have to do to make you love me? But if I can't make you love me, what do I have to do... to forget about you?

justlurking

MamaJunebug wrote:

To give things a Whitney Houston vibe:

1. Where do broken hearts go?

2. How will I know (If he really loves me)?

Kimerical

MOAR DOUGIE!!!

ChickeyMonkey

What exactly does epistemology mean? I tried googling it, but I still don't understand. I guess I'm just dense. Can someone explain it to me in and easy-to-understand way? Talk to me like I'm a child, but not too young.

thoughtful

20. Why is it I spend the day, wake up and end the day, thinking of you?

21. So long, Ooolong, how long ya gonna be gone?

22. Marsie doats and dosie doats and littlelambseativy, A kid'lleativy too, wouldn't you?

23. How much is that doggie in the window?

24. Who stole my heart away?

I like older mysteries.

And, just for Dougie:

25. How many roads must a man walk down, before they call him a man?

VodouDoll

My understanding is that it's the study of knowledge. What is knowledge? What can we know? What can't we know? How do we know the things we know? How is knowledge different from belief? Is knowledge relative or absolute? Things like that.

slickcat79

Um, really, why do these all have to be "mysteries"? Adding that to the beginning just makes the titles sound wordy and convoluted...or like they're trying to make a new series of children's books. And how did I guess they would manage to work both "adventure" and "dominion" into the same mystery?

26. The age old question...which seat can I take?

shirleymaclaine

26. How do I live without you?

27. How do I breathe without you?

28. How do I ever, ever surviiiiiiiiive?

gardenvarietycitizen

Their original seven questions kinda sound like they could be Scooby-Doo episodes, now that I think about it.

kaetrin

When Doug & Co talk about epistemology, though, I don't think they actually use it in any philosophically rigorous sort of way (surprise, surprise!). With them it sounds more like short hand for "making sure your information comes from the right sources (i.e. us!)" or maybe also as an alternative to "presuppositional" in re: apologetics.

justlurking

29. Who let the dogs out?

Sola

30. It's raining men.

For when he is deep in the Amazon, thought it might be a good soundtrack

defrauding

31. The Mystery of Birds Suddenly Appearing Every Time You Are Near

bb

32. How many roads must a man walk down before you can call him a man?

AthenaC

33. Don't you wish your girlfriend was a freak like me?

AthenaC

34. The Mystery of What Became of Dougie's Vets.

MamaJunebug.freekatie

It's up!! It's up!!!

And somebody here is psychic --- when you click on the sneak preview you get the following SALES PITCH!

https://www.visionforummi...ts/aff/001/register.aspx

Do you have to pay for the sneak??? I don't know as I have to leave for a meeting! I'M DYIN' TO KNOW, HERE!!!!!

ladypuglover

That is just what my 9 year old said when he peeked over my shoulder..... Come on Scooby, we've got work to do.

MamaJunebug.freekatie

The trailer for the DDay product is viewable.

I came home & made a beeline to ole Compy 486 & discovered that one may watch said trailer for free.

Feeling a bit guilty about my post above, I silently pledged to give it a fair chance.

The fancy graphics sequence that's introduced the product is used again & eats up about one-fourth of the time. Doug's voice talks about defeating "knots-ism" (Naziism. It sounded so odd the way he pronounced it) as we look at an old gent holding a flagpole. When we see Doug, he's wearing a WW2-era dress uniform, complete w/the Overseas cap (UK FJians' vets know it as the forage or patrol cap, the kind that collapses flat and can

be folded over a belt) as he interviews an elderly vet. I do not kid: cap & all.

The vet's voice, now over modern-day footage of reenactors, describes how comrades on his left and on his right were hit by shrapnel while he was unscathed.

I come away with no snark --- but deep sadness. Sad for the adults as well as children for whom this version of historical first-person narrative will be the only one they're permitted (or permit themselves) to see.

I'll take Military History Channel focus over VF products anytime.

AthenaC

It makes me depressed and angry to see him wearing a uniform.

Really.

ChickeyMonkey

Thanks for the explanation. I always thought it had something to do with religion, like liturgy (which I also don't know anything about).

ChickeyMonkey

I keep reading the title of this thread as "What became of Doug's VESTS?" As in, suede with tassels (think Cher and Sonny Bono).

hoipolloi

The sight of Dougie in his military costume is incredibly offensive.

And is that Joshua Titus, Sam, et al. in the uniforms, pretending to be soldiers during Dougie's voiceover?

I wonder what the VF koolaid drinkers who really are or were in the military will think of this stuff?

ChickeyMonkey

I was thinking about what the differences are between Dougie and actors when it comes to playing dress-up. Actors know they are playing a role and have no illusions about not being a real war hero or soldier (unless they really were in real life). They are telling a story to an audience - not their story, but a story or someone else's story. Dougie, on the other hand, seems to really want to believe that he's a soldier and hero without actually having served in the military. It's pathetic, really.

I think that's why I find the Salvation Army kind of offensive. Their structure and uniform mirrors the military, but they aren't really military. I don't think military for God counts.

MamaJunebug.freekatie

Sure enough, the ahthelifers have the teaser as their new blogpost. So, glutton for punishment that I am, i looked at it again.

Historical inaccuracy #1: Doug would not have been wearing an excruciatingly groomed goatee.

Historical inaccuracy #2: Guys in battle in 1944 would not have been wearing brand-new helmets and new, clean, pressed battle uniforms.

Historical inaccuracy #3: Nobody that old would've been flag-bearer. (JOKING!)

Overall? [comic-book guy] Worst. Reenactment. Ever. [/comic-book guy]

MamaJunebug.freekatie

I'm indulging in a morning of snark and snark-infused thought and found this by googling "christian epistemology" - basically it says an epistomological p.o.v. accepts the existence of God without any proof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reformed_epistemology

The wiki entry on epistemology, period, notes that it seems to originate with a dude who was into metaphysics. Think about that, Peter Pumpkineater, father of Loyal Cromwell.

Then of course I google'd Lutheran-epistemology and the first hit was a couple of dudes pontificating (yes, some of us do. ) and it occurred to me that it's as much a word that sounds very important, and that folks like Doug use freely, confident that none of their acolytes will ever ask, "But, oh, great wise one, what does 'epistemologically correct' actually mean?"

Since it seems to be some kind of code word, for Doug et.al., for acting like they're intellectual and combine logic and reason with faith, they use it to mean "something that shows we're intellectual, thinking Reformed dudes, we are!"

I am going to think, in my mentally idle moments today (like whilst folding laundry, scooping up after good Lutheran dogs), what my Junior Junebugs would've been named if I'd been attempting to impress people epistemologically correct... Join me if you will! After all, snark can be (harrumpfh) intellectual, can it not?????? (extend those pinkies!)

gardenvarietycitizen

Wait - he interviews an actual vet while dressed up in a UNIFORM??? Wow. I realize that Doug and I are from quite different backgrounds but in my circles, that would be the height of insulting rudeness. And I'd like to suspect more people are on my side!

That's just... wow.

SimplyMe

I come from a long line of Army and Navy officers (my dad, grandfathers, uncles, great uncles, etc) and I can tell you--- Doug wearing a "costume" uniform while interviewing an actual veteran is RUDE on SO many levels. It is such a gross error in ettiquette, I'm surprised that the veteran even did the interview. What an arrogant, ignorant, disgusting ass....

MamaJunebug.freekatie

Thank you for that insight. I bet the vet was an enlistee who returned to civvie life after the war and so doesn't know about the etiquette.

That, or he (they) are too well-mannered and polite to call the little peacock out on his strutting.

I tried to imagine the emcee of such a ceremony in a quiet suit & tie. It gave it much more dignity, in my mind's eye, and far less a circus-like quality.

emmyfair

I can't even look - my husband was deployed to the sandbox three times, and three times my kids and I have waited on pins and needles .. for the knock at the door, the visit from the chaplain, the phone call, anything that could happen. My husband still has nightmares and is spooked so easily - last month a car backfired when we were on a walk and I though he was going to go crazy.

Long and short - If I look at those pictures of Douggie playing dress up and pretending to be a man .... well, I can't say what I'd do, but it wouldn't be pretty.

SnarkyJan

Believe me, they are. My guess is that either the vet, knowing the protocols, was too polite to shame Dougie in public, or the interviewee was under the impresssion that Doug had been in the service. After all, it's not like someone who never served would be shameless enough to borrow someone else's valor and try to coin money from it, right? (snark).

Dougie, stop cashing in on others' bravery and go back to the 101st Chairborne where you belong!

Annette

Hey interns! What is a "Farwell"? As in, "A Final Farwell"? Spell check is your friend.

AthenaC

Jelly Farwell?

Is totally my punk name.

SnarkyJan

Yeah, but they're not on speaking terms with spell check.

SnarkyJan

I'm surprised that no veterans' groups like the VFW and American Legion are challenging him on this whole kerfuffle. It's their rugs that Dougie is crapping on. Oh and as far as "A Final Farwell (Farewell)", Dougie is staggeringly tactless, rubbing the noses of men their age in their mortality.

mirele

Really.

Is there a picture of Dougie in his fake uniform?

Does it have any medals, awards or ribbons on it?

If so, he could be in violation of the Stolen Valor Act. http://en.wikipedia.org/w...Stolen_Valor_Act_of_2005

I know a couple of people who took it upon themselves to go after the Scientologists when they claimed L. Ron Hubbard had some medals he didn't earn. I bet they'd like to know abou this.

I tried to figure out where the video is, but I've not been successful.

ETA: my friend the vet is not very happy about this, and I'd like to get some pics to show her. Her response? "WTF? Bad thing."

ChickeyMonkey

Oooh! I SO want him to be wearing medals so he can be busted! I have a feeling that any medals he may be wearing are all made up by VF to look similar to real medals of honor. They'd be something like, "God Warrior" or having to do with dominionism and the "holy war" they are fighting here. Or ALERT badges.

DominionWackinessTroll

From Wikipedia: "The Stolen Valor Act of 2005, signed into law by President George W. Bush on December 20, 2006,[1] is a U.S. law that broadens the provisions of previous U.S. law addressing the unauthorized wear, manufacture, or sale of any military decorations and medals."

"Decorations"? What about the gold thingies on his lapels? Would those count? Come on, tell me they would count! LOL.

starfish

So this!

Hane.engrishmessageb...

I couldn't stand to listen to the entire trailer. His comparison of Churchill's and Hitler's views/background in "religion" made absolutely no sense.

And, oh, Dougie? Churchill's use of the term "Christendom" (or was it "Christian civilization"--can't stand to listen to the damn thing again) was basically old-timey shortcut-speak for "decent and ethical civilization"--like people in old movies calling someone "a good Christian woman"--meaning she's a stand-up person, and not actually putting a whole lot of emphasis on her religiosity.

MamaJunebug.freekatie

Ok. Decided to take one for the team and watch - without sound! - to see aboutany medals.

Report: All that are visible are the "U.S." collar pins and the insignia pins. Artillery, I think, but not certain.

Watching W/o sound had a bonus ... Irritation? During the slo-mo visual of the old vet raising the flag, there's slack-jawed adolescent dressed in a sloppy t-shirt & chewing gum like his life depended on it.

WAY TO FRAME THE SHOT, VF CAMERA SNOTS!!!!

And on the chance that they just didn't NOTICE Cletus or that he was the son of a VIP who couldn't be asked to move his slacker ass, NICE EDITING, VF VIDEO EDITORS!!!!!!

Isn't it just SO interesting how they never make a gaffe like that on DOUG'S one-shots?????

Oh! So aggravating!!

SnarkyJan

Is Dougie aware that the real-life Winston Churchill would have spit in his eye?

Barbaro.fhotd64476

I'm rather surprised Mr Phillips wants to relive World War 2. That marked the first major participation in our nation's war of the Women's Army Corps. We all know how Mr Phillips feels about that.

Clementinee.freekatie

I can't believe Doug is wearing a uniform, especially when he is interviewing veterans that saw their friends and family members get killed in a war. (The kind of _real_ war that the _real_ manly man go to, not some silly enactment.)

It's just beyond rude, like a real slap in the face to the people who were there and the ones who died. You don't wear a uniform, you earn it before you are allowed to wear it.

And WTF wears a uniform anyway, unless you're into historical reenactments or have a major uniform fetisch? I live near a hardcore BDSM-club and some of the visitors wear real uniforms as a kink. Maybe I have found the answer to why Doug is wearing one...

The seven mysteries?

One of them must be: Male g-spot. Myth or not? Follow us as we go on a quest to find the answer on a hot sweaty romp into the Amazones.

alaeangelorum

I noticed that too (also while watching without sound)! So irritating. He doesn't even look like he is paying attention.

SnarkyJan

The beauty of World War II for Dougie is that with each passing day, fewer and fewer peope are still alive to deny knowing him. He can name-drop to his heart's content, secure in the knowledge that nobody is in any condition to challenge him.

Kathryn31

That is definitely a bonus. Who is going to challenge him and his wide stance?

AthenaC

Duhm....

US????

kb

I met an elderly gentleman the other day who entered France three weeks after D-day and apparently stopped just short of Berlin. He was still annoyed that they were told they couldn't take Berlin, and had to let the Russians do it. I'm a fan of anyone who can stay annoyed that long.

Dougie probably comes across as such a little puppy with his talk of "manhood." He talks about going into battle valiantly and dying well, as if anyone who was afraid failed at WWII. And what about surviving? Did they do it in a Christian way? Did "shell shock" only afflict the heathens? What an a**hole.

ChickeyMonkey

Is the answer the prostate? Not that I would know, being female and all.

Archived