IGNORED

David Reardon: Don't abort for rape

dairyfreelife

LAF had an article quoted on abortion and PASS or Post Abortion Stress Syndrome that mentioned a man named David Reardon. He claims to be a Ph.D, but I had a hard time finding what his Ph.D was in. I finally found an ask/wiki article on him:

A graduate of the University of Illinois department of electrical engineering, Reardon began researching the effects of abortion in the mid-1980s. Reardon subsequently received a Ph.D in biomedical ethics from Pacific Western University, an unaccredited correspondence school offering no classroom instruction.

(While wiki isn't the best source, this one is cited with Boston Globe and The New York Times.)

Jennie Chauncey's article: www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com/feminism- ... -and-rape/

Article she links to: www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0002550.cfm

Reardon's site: afterabortion.org/

I knew someone who didn't have an abortion for rape, gave up her daughter for adoption, and it totally fucked her over. She couldn't sleep at night (I'd always find her awake in the wee hours) because that's when the rape was. She missed her daughter, she never got any counseling (thank you Catholic social services for fucking that up too). She declared she was a lesbian, and the last I heard of her, she'd married a gay Baptist preacher to be his beard.

I don't know that having an abortion could have been more traumatic--but it was her choice. This Reardon fellow (emphasis on fellow) would tell every woman that they have to bear the total consequences for a violent crime. Fuck that shit. This guy can kiss my fat, pasty white ass.

Sadly, I am beginning to think that non-accreditation for schools of higher education, bare more credit with fundies by way of "we're so 'Christian' and fundamental that the man was afraid to accredit us"- badge of fundamentalism.

Seeing that, for say... Josh, would only encourage him to think "he's prosecuted for his beliefs" and put him on an even higher pedestal.

AS for his website, At what point does this become illegal to give what could be taken as a medical opinion as a Doctor, when you're not actually a doctor...? He is clearly going for a medical website look with the blue and white design, overwhelming majority of medical websites have this same generic look. Enraging.

"There you have it: If you're not for "abortion rights," you don't care about women. It's yet another case of the left claiming a sort of moral monopoly. "

Yet again, the complete logic fail makes me want to cry. It's not about whether a woman should or should not have an abortion; it's about her right to choose and not have people try to coerce her to do one or the other, as the posters it's referring to do. The fact that Reardon is in favour of restricting access to abortion is even more troubling; he's saying that women can't be trusted to make decisions for their bodies and he knows what's best.

Fuck this asshole! While I'm still angry about the situation surrounding my abortion (I was 14, raped by my mom's then-husband, and he coerced me into the abortion so no one would find out) I am grateful that I did it, because I was so mind-fucked at that point I would have killed myself before admitting to anyone what had happened (because it was my fault, I was a slut who had "tempted" him -at 8 the first time it happened!-and was dirty and unlovable). So my abortion saved my life, and you know what? I'm worth it.

*Yes, I know that I would have never have been suicidal had he never touched me and used religion to keep me silent and shamed. I would change the molestation and rapes if I could, and therefore would have never needed an abortion, but the abortion kept me alive.

Archived