IGNORED

NC Residents. Remember To Vote Against Amendment One

debrand

http://www.ncsbe.gov/PrecinctFinder.aspx

IF you don't know where you are supposed to vote tomorrow, put your address in the boxes on the above site. Please vote.

Because I am adding a lot of youtube videos to encourage my fellow North Carolinian, I am not going to post the videos just the links.

Here is a Baptist Church against Amendment One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Frc5lYMmHs

Interesting, in the above video a man states that if the amendment passes it will represent an intrusion of government into religion. I have never heard that argument before.

Here is our governor

people of faith against Amendment one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFwFZd_E ... ure=relmfu

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN1f9cxW3bE

Here is Clinton urging people to vote against Amendment one. SOmehow the amendment might take away protection from domestic abuse victims too.

For those who don't know, NC already has a law against gay marriage. However, Republicans want to change the NC constituion to add an amendment against gay marriage.

I'll be there at 6:00am. Normally I am comatose at that time, but I will make an exception.

I'll be there at 6:00am. Normally I am comatose at that time, but I will make an exception.

Good. My neighbors are conservative so I'm not reminding them to vote. LOL

Also, if you can't make it out tomorrow, most counties have early voting in place and you can still go today.

Even my mainstream Christian friends seem to think that this is a good thing and are horrified that I don't support it. I've given up trying to argue with them.

There's so much misinformation going on about this. I've read a few different statistics, but the two that stuck out where that 1 in 10 NC residents believes that voting against it will legalize gay marriage in NC. The good news it that over 20% of people who support it drop their support once they are informed of the real impact it will have and how it can harm families, children, and unmarried women.

It seems like a lot of churches, even fairly mainstream ones are really pushing their congregations to vote for it and many are telling them it's a sin not to. There's a lot of pressure within churches to do this, and our pastor got trashed by several other pastors in the area for refusing to support a rally for it and telling people to read the whole thing and then vote how they feel they should. Even people who are not totally anti-gay are getting spooked by that, and I've heard several people say they just wouldn't vote on it because they couldn't support it but are afraid that voting against it might be "going against God".

The hubby & I voted (against) on Friday, but I will be in the parking lot of one of our polling places tomorrow handing out information on why people should oppose it. If anyone else would like to do the same, the information is available here to print out:

http://www.protectncfamilies.org/conten ... your-tools

I'm surprised how many of the big, mainstream churches have "Vote for Amendment 1!" on their signs. I thought telling people how to vote was a no-no for churches. It seems like so many people are voting for it just because the churches said that is what God said to do and really don't know what it really is about.

I'm surprised how many of the big, mainstream churches have "Vote for Amendment 1!" on their signs. I thought telling people how to vote was a no-no for churches. It seems like so many people are voting for it just because the churches said that is what God said to do and really don't know what it really is about.

Couldn't they loose their tax exempt status?

I got an anti-gay marriage/obama text yesterday. I have no idea how the freaks got my number. I just can't wait for it to be all over so I don't have to look at the fuckwit preachers and politicians' faces on TV anymore. I know it will pass, so I'm just glad it's over soon. Hopefully after it passes, some civil liberty organization will challenge it's Constitutionality.

I'm in NC and I drive by about 15 churches on my way to take the kids to school and I'd say at least half of them have Vote Against Amendment 1 signs.

Voted last week...against. Unfortunately, most of my friends and family are all for it, and no argument against seems to faze them. I hate going to my (fundie-lite) parents' house, as they have a "For" sign in their yard, as well as most of their neighbors. I have been pleasantly surprised, though, at the number of Against signs in my neighborhood and I hope that when all is said and done, tomorrow evening the amendment will not pass. I don't hold out a lot of hope, though. :(

I plan to. I hope it doesn't but I have doubts. I think those damn churches that have the support sign should be taxed.

So, I saw an interesting minivan at my polling place this morning. It had one bumper sticker from the Creation Museum and another one from Answers in Genesis, a John 3:16 decal, and a mommy Ichthys, daddy Ichthys and nine little baby Ichthyses stuck to the back windshield. And it had one more bumper sticker that said, "Christian Values Above Politics: Vote NO on Amendment ONE."

I wonder if these people were making the statement they intended to, or if they were tricked into posting anti-Amendment One propaganda because it had the words "Christian Values" printed on it.

Also, some people over the age of 17 voting in Raleigh, Carrboro and Chapel Hill - areas characterized by strong opposition to Amendment One - have reported receiving ballots that are missing Amendment One. This happened to my brother's girlfriend. If you live in North Carolina and have experienced this problem, please consider calling 1-866-OUR-VOTE to report the issue. (In North Carolina, 17-year-olds can vote in the primaries as long as they will turn 18 by the November 6 election, but they cannot vote on judges or Amendment One because they are not of voting age right now. They should receive ballots that do not have Amendment One on them, which is why these ballots exist in the first place.)

It's always interesting to see how conservative Christians see the same issues we discuss here.

Here's a link to a discussion of this amendment going on at a Christian homeschool forum I lurk on;

chfweb.com/index.php?t=msg&th=80162&start=0&S=801a0e7882c77c2e7c585b061ceac549

Good luck and good voting to any N.C. FJ members.

So, I saw an interesting minivan at my polling place this morning. It had one bumper sticker from the Creation Museum and another one from Answers in Genesis, a John 3:16 decal, and a mommy Ichthys, daddy Ichthys and nine little baby Ichthyses stuck to the back windshield. And it had one more bumper sticker that said, "Christian Values Above Politics: Vote NO on Amendment ONE."

I wonder if these people were making the statement they intended to, or if they were tricked into posting anti-Amendment One propaganda because it had the words "Christian Values" printed on it.

Also, some people over the age of 17 voting in Raleigh, Carrboro and Chapel Hill - areas characterized by strong opposition to Amendment One - have reported receiving ballots that are missing Amendment One. This happened to my brother's girlfriend. If you live in North Carolina and have experienced this problem, please consider calling 1-866-OUR-VOTE to report the issue. (In North Carolina, 17-year-olds can vote in the primaries as long as they will turn 18 by the November 6 election, but they cannot vote on judges or Amendment One because they are not of voting age right now. They should receive ballots that do not have Amendment One on them, which is why these ballots exist in the first place.)

I always wondered if that would work. In GA we have obscure things on the ballot all the time, written in a language only attorneys can understand. How awesome would it be to hand out free bumper stickers that said "keep jesus is government vote XXX on XXX". I bet half of them would slap them right on their cars without seeing what the amendment was for.

I always wondered if that would work. In GA we have obscure things on the ballot all the time, written in a language only attorneys can understand. How awesome would it be to hand out free bumper stickers that said "keep jesus is government vote XXX on XXX". I bet half of them would slap them right on their cars without seeing what the amendment was for.

I would assume that either they got tricked, or people are so used to hearing and voting NO for an issue that it's their knee-jerk reaction. Vote no for something? Sign me up!

It's always interesting to see how conservative Christians see the same issues we discuss here.

Here's a link to a discussion of this amendment going on at a Christian homeschool forum I lurk on;

chfweb.com/index.php?t=msg&th=80162&start=0&S=801a0e7882c77c2e7c585b061ceac549

Good luck and good voting to any N.C. FJ members.

Re: the Christian homeschool forum-I don't understand people acting like they are so torn over how to vote on this. If you vote for the amendment, you are voting for discrimination and bigotry. You are absolutely allowed the right to do that, but quit acting like you are so conflicted on the decision. If you are really that reluctant to vote for the amendment, vote against it or leave it blank. The wording on the amendment is actually very clear and straightforward, as is the fact that the amendment is a pointless waste of time and money. It shouldn't matter what kind of "spin" either side throws at you; you either believe all people are entitled to equal rights, or you don't.

I voted this morning! There's a lot of name calling and crap going on here today.. deja vu for me, as I just voted against the SC amendment a few years ago. I've got a stomachache waiting for my life to be voted on today

I would assume that either they got tricked, or people are so used to hearing and voting NO for an issue that it's their knee-jerk reaction. Vote no for something? Sign me up!

Somewhat OT, but I am seriously annoyed by my Congressional Rep. It made me want to request a Republican ballot today just so I could vote against her, but when it comes down to it I'm leaving the state in less than a month. I caught one of her campaign commercials yesterday, and it was basically two points: support "traditional marriage" and fight Obama. Seriously. No solutions, no points of policy, just Fight Everything Obama Does. It's even the first paragraph on her campaign website:

Since you sent me to Washington in 2010, I have fought against President Obama’s failed job-killing, tax and spend, big government policies. Will you join my campaign for a smaller, more efficient and more accountable government? Together we can repeal and replace Obamacare, cut spending, cut regulations and put America back to work.

I know all politicians like to sling the BS, but this is one of the things that makes me believe that, even if I'm disappointed in Obama, voting republican is not a solution. They spend all their time trying to regulate things like gay marriage and abortion, drafting and campaigning on useless amendments like One. I have no idea what they are going to do once Obama is not in office anymore...they might actually have to come up with ideas on their own.

It depends. Many churches are pushing people to vote for it, but there are other Christians who are pretty outspoken against it and at least one advocacy group that is Christian-based and opposed to the Amendment. Also, some of the more far-right Christians oppose it because it has language that makes it clear that private contracts will be recognized and they think it's a way to sneak in civil unions. Also, some people realize that passing stuff like this is just begging for a lawsuit that will result in a decision for or against (most likely for) gay marriage, or at least legal recognition of gay marriages preformed elsewhere, nationwide.

Then again, they may just oppose it because they don't want the government involved with defining what they see as a religious right or that might be trying to follow Jesus's lead and be loving and tolerant instead of bigoted. Of course, I got a few odd looks this morning myself. I spent a few hours with my son handing out flyers with reasons to vote against it, but the long denim skirt and headcovering may have made some people assume I was for it. The hubby's going back out there with me once he gets home from work, so it will be interesting to see if reactions change when it's a straight family opposing it instead of an apparently single woman.

so I was waiting in line for administrative papers, and CNN was on (muted with subtitles). And this republican (I don't know exactly who he was - white hair I think) Is like al upset about how obama did not know that biden would come out on the issue, and he was like "no republicans don't care about gay marriage! They could not care less!" Journalist reminds him about NC "Well you know, just keep in mind that the more they marry each other, the less they are going to marry your daughters"

My jaw fell to the floor, (lol people tried to look at the tv but the subtitles passed) I could not believe it! Really you're saying that on tv... so.many.wrong.things.

So lesbians don't exist, gay man want to get married so bad that they'll marry your daughters if you don't let them get married among "themselves", and really you would not want your kids to be homosexuals or close to homosexuals.

O_o

Archived