IGNORED

NC Residents. Remember To Vote Against Amendment One

debrand

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only 10 or 11 counties are reporting right now. Including Hometown. Which overwhelmingly voted for Amendment One, 88-12.

I'm having a fucking brain aneurysm I'm so pissed. I didn't think it would be a fucking landslide even there.

:evil:

I feel for all the people in North Carolina. Here in California, we had Prop 22 in 2000 and Prop 8 in 2008, and both left me feeling sick to my stomach. :(

excuse my 'french' but ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I am surrounded by assholes.

It is so stupid. Gays were already second class citizens in NC and couldn't marry. This new law bascially makes straight couples who chose to not be married second class citizens, too.

My deepest condolences to the sane, decent people who are in NC.

NCarolinians: Seriously? Seriously? WTF?

Well, there goes another state I won't vacation in or travel to for conferences. I love traveling to different regions of the U.S. on vacation (American history nerd, what can I say?), but I don't spend my tourist dollars in places that promote hate.

(In related thoughts, I bet Maryland would be a lovely place to spend a long weekend--at least before their voters head to the polls on this issue in November.)

From what I'm gathering, it's not just bad for the gay population of NC, it's also bad for the unmarried heterosexual couples in NC. This just fucking sucks all around. How is this constitutional?

The breakdown by county is interesting. A huge sea of green, with little pockets of non-idiocy. I'm kind of surprised, all the counties I've ever lived in voted against. Those are the counties where the state's major colleges are, but I guess education doesn't trump ignorance this time.

From what I'm gathering, it's not just bad for the gay population of NC, it's also bad for the unmarried heterosexual couples in NC. This just fucking sucks all around. How is this constitutional?

It may not be. It might still be struck down eventually. But it took this state over 100 years to take miscegenation laws off the books, so I'm not in my most positive frame of mind today :(

My husband is from Raleigh and all his friends and family still there are livid about this. Of course, I've heard Raleigh referred to as "a city of New Yorkers in the middle of North Carolina," so it doesn't surprise me that it goes differently from the rest of the state.

Anyone else hoping that global climate change sends a category 5 hurricane right into the Outer Banks this summer? I am, and I fucking live there. :evil:

I do hope that some miracle spares New Hanover, though.

I was quite shocked at the results. Virtually all the folks I know from NC are religious, and my Facebook wall's been inundated with anti-Amendment 1 posts for the last month. Turns out my friends are from the few areas that voted against (in short, the college towns).

It all just makes me so. fucking. angry. I am so saddened and sickened by all of this. I'm sick of the religious right screaming about "persecution" and "our rights, our rights!" What about my rights? Why don't I count?

It all just makes me so. fucking. angry. I am so saddened and sickened by all of this. I'm sick of the religious right screaming about "persecution" and "our rights, our rights!" What about my rights? Why don't I count?

Easy. You don't count because you've made the wrong choice. Now if you'd just realize how inferior your choices are, then you'll see it makes perfect sense for the government to stigmatize and punish you for them. [sarcasm]

Seriously, though, this is how these people think. They must know that punishing LGBT couples doesn't stop them from existing. But I think their thought process is that the government shouldn't reward "sin," and therefore people who make the "wrong" choice need to be punished for their transgression. I wonder if they think that if they just make their lives difficult enough, people will stop being gay. Or at least will hide in the closet and never live openly with a same-sex partner.

What this campaign does is point out the lie that the "sanctity of marriage" is what matters to these people. They've already banned marriage, but they won't be happy until they can take away any kind of protection or benefit for people who dare to live outside their religious rules.

http://www.wect.com/story/18211111/chur ... g-location

This news story is not at all unique. I wish I'd taken pictures of similar signs I'd seen in front of churches that are also polling locations while driving through Harnett and Johnston Counties this past weekend.

http://www.wral.com/news/political/page/10991843/

This map is also interesting. Counties against: Wake County (NCSU); Orange County (UNC-Chapel Hill); Durham County (Duke University); Buncombe County (UNC-Asheville); Mecklenburg (UNC-Charlotte); Watauga (Appalachian State University). New Hanover County just barely went for, in contrast to surrounding counties - it seems reasonable to assume that's a UNC-Wilmington effect. Rural counties in NC are phenomenally underserved at every educational level. It makes one question why the current legislature is so invested in cutting funds for education.

Based on the data that have been released, it doesn't seem like the story is old people versus young people, rural versus urban, or non-religious versus religious. Rather, this issue seems to break along quality of education, with these other variables correlated.

i'm relieved that durham county was at least represented in the "no" field, as that's where i consider home, but god amitey.

I wish i could say I was shocked. I havent lived in NC in six years, but spent my whole life there, prior.

I grew up in fairly progressive enclaves (Charlotte, then Chapel Hill/Durham), but there's no mistake that most of the state is agricultural, baptist, and VERY conservative.

I am, however, absolutely SICK that they have voted to AMEND THEIR CONSTITUTION to include outright bigotry.

I'm not shocked by all the "christian" rhetoric (hate it, but am not surprised by it). I am shocked that a law wasn't good enough and they had to AMEND THE CONSTITUTION.

That seriously blows me away.

North Carolina also at one time had a constitutional amendment banning inter-racial marriage. I guess as long as you can marry your 14 year old 1st cousin all is okay.

This is just unbelievable sad. They already didn't allow same sex marriage. this was just another way to show bigotry and hatred.

it appears that the LAW against gay marriage wasn't strong enough, because it was getting encroached upon.

So they amended the constitution to make it doubly-illegal.

i guess. or something.

it boggles. seriously BOGGLES.

I lived in NC for 11 months 25 years ago. That was enough to convince me that I didn't belong in that state. My cousin, in an interracial marriage, didn't last there that long.

And these are the people on a straight and narrow path to heaven. Gag.

When I read stuff like that it makes me proud to live in a state where everyone can have the "pleasure" of marriage. A friend of mine and resident of NC posted the following sentiment on FB:

Amendment 2: No resident of the state of North Carolina may consume shellfish, under penalty of the law (Leviticus 11:10)

Amendment 3: No resident of the state of North Carolina may cut his hair, under penalty of the law. (Le...viticus 19:27)

Amendment 4: No resident of the state of North Carolina may work on Sunday, under penalty of death. (Exodus 35:2)

Amendment 5: No resident of the state of North Carolina may consume pork or touch a dead pig, under penalty of the law (Leviticus 11:7-8)

Amendment 6: No resident of the state of North Carolina may clothe themselves in polyester, or other items made of more than one fabric, under penalty of the law. (Leviticus 19:19)

Amendment 7: No resident of the state of North Carolina may curse their mother or father, under penalty of death. (Leviticus 20:9)

Amendment 8: No blind or “deformed†residents of the state of North Carolina may attend church services, under penalty of the law. (Leviticus 21:17-18)

Amendment 9: If any male resident of the state of North Carolina is unfaithful to his wife, both he and his wife will suffer the penalty of death. ((Leviticus 20:10)

Amendment 10: No female residents of the state of North Carolina will be permitted to any position of authority, including teaching, under penalty of the law. (1 Timothy 2:12)

We can bundle all these amendments together and call them the “Bill of Wrongs." Surely the 61% who voted in favor of Amendment 1 today will be in favor of all of these!

When I read stuff like that it makes me proud to live in a state where everyone can have the "pleasure" of marriage. A friend of mine and resident of NC posted the following sentiment on FB:

omg. i might just make this my first ever political facebook post. and I am a North Carolinian!

Archived