denimjumper

Really? I am trying, as I usually only use it for B vitamin supppliment

I edited after you posted sorry!

Yes it works for me, worked great for my roomate! It also diminishes mosquito and fleas' (And bedbugs) bites. They still eat me but well I'm like the blood they want anyway, but for some people they just stop altogether :P I usually just gets smaller bites. My friend uses it with her dog and her cats and they don't get fleas. She was telling me that apparently they bite, don't like the taste, and then leave.

That's interesting... I'm so nosey, though. I have to ask: was it a nice email? Or was it like "Why are you asking this....?"

It was a sweet email:

Dear Marie,

Alyssa is the only one with a perm. Erin sleeps in sponge rollers every other night. She has enough body in her hair that it holds curls for 2 days. She doesn't brush through any curls, as she says it makes them fall. Instead she uses her fingers. The rest of us lose our xcurls after a few hours! Love, Kelly

I asked her this because I genuinely wanted to know how she did her hair, not to be snarky or anything. My daughter has long hair but it is very fine and we DO sleep in foam rollers but it falls out quickly despite not combing it and using amply hair spray.

OMG why is this photo so freaking huge??

DSC00039.JPG

Thanks for indulging my nosey tendencies! I have hair a lot like Erin's. I just don't bother doing it much and it's so long and thick that I have to keep it up or in a pony tail to function...

And you didn't take pictures?!? :shock: :naughty:

lol, I'll try to get a pic next time I do it (and if the foam roller thing works for the Erin hair). I didn't think it would be all that interesting until I noticed the comment about Gibson girl hair earlier on the thread. I'm in the process of growing mine out again now, so it's a little short for most funky updos, but I used to do all sorts of vintage styles and variations on buns and braids and things. (And have considered getting involved in historical reenacting just to get to learn how to do more of them and wear some of the really old-fashioned types of desses in public without looking like a crazy woman).

Maybe I should start doing "look at me, see how modest I am" pics on my blog to show off the funky hairstyles once it gets a longer and I can do more with it (and it's winter so the modesty police don't report me for wearing sleeveless tops and dresses).

I wonder if the sock bun would work for me. My hair is so long (knee length) that it has no body (although at least it is very straight and doesn't tangle). I'm one of the 'I have long hair because I'm lazy' people, so I don't usually do more than put the hairbrush through a couple times, and make a ponytail or quick bun.

But sometimes I want something fancier, and I don't have a ton of options. All the really pretty period sort of styles don't seem to work on my hair. Too much hair for a French twist, can't seem to get that full bouffant bun Gibson Girl look, have trouble getting fullness on the top of my head at all, curling irons are an exercise in futility (and horrid for hair anyway). I need a lady's maid I think to manage my hair for me.

When I'm determined to have curl, I have to wash my hair, let it dry to damp, then use two sets of hot rollers to set the inner layers, sleep on the curlers overnight to hopefully set the outer ones, and hairspray each curl as I take it out. Then hope it's a dry day. That will get me 2-4 hours of crazy curl, after which point it wilts into a sullen sort of wavy. Last time I did it was my wedding two years ago.

Wow! Knee length? The LONGEST my hair ever got was about to the middle of my shoulder blades, and that was after YEARS. It looked terrible on me, BTW, but that's what "everyone" was wearing back then, so short hair was not even a consideration.

I remember sitting behind a girl in first grade who had long wavy hair, and thinking it looked like a golden waterfall. I was ENTRANCED by that hair. :lol:

That was the only way my hair would hold a curl. Curling irons, blow drying with rollers, nothing else worked.

Same here. My hair is so pin straight that even after I've curled it, it would fall into a straight frizzy mess after. Not unless I applied gallons of hairspray on it, which I didn't like. The only thing that ever worked for me were curlers too.

But I've learned to appreciate my pin straight hair. Not wanting to sound egoistic, but it ends up lovely and silky sometimes. I usually don't do anything to my hair except washing and brushing it. Special occasions are the exceptions, but sometimes I can't even be bothered. My hair is impossible to curl or style.

Foam rollers every night? A little too fussy for me, but she's probably used to it.

I wonder if the sock bun would work for me. My hair is so long (knee length) that it has no body (although at least it is very straight and doesn't tangle).

Sock buns usually work good on long hair (it worked great for me at waist-length). You can use 2 socks together, or a stocking instead if you need a thicker roll. For styles, you might want to check out the Long Hair Community site or forums - they have a lot of pics & styles tutorials on the main page and the forum has had threads in the past specifically for styles/tips that work with extremely long hair.

I wonder if the sock bun would work for me. My hair is so long (knee length) that it has no body (although at least it is very straight and doesn't tangle). I'm one of the 'I have long hair because I'm lazy' people, so I don't usually do more than put the hairbrush through a couple times, and make a ponytail or quick bun.

But sometimes I want something fancier, and I don't have a ton of options. All the really pretty period sort of styles don't seem to work on my hair. Too much hair for a French twist, can't seem to get that full bouffant bun Gibson Girl look, have trouble getting fullness on the top of my head at all, curling irons are an exercise in futility (and horrid for hair anyway). I need a lady's maid I think to manage my hair for me.

When I'm determined to have curl, I have to wash my hair, let it dry to damp, then use two sets of hot rollers to set the inner layers, sleep on the curlers overnight to hopefully set the outer ones, and hairspray each curl as I take it out. Then hope it's a dry day. That will get me 2-4 hours of crazy curl, after which point it wilts into a sullen sort of wavy. Last time I did it was my wedding two years ago.

when my hair gets down to my bum I have to cut it - it just becomes so heavy that any bun/braid just leaves me with a terrible headache and all the curl leaves. I cut it to the mid of my back/just past my shoulders and then it is light enough to do all sorts of hairstyles and it has a really nice wave. I bet you have the same problem. Your hair is so long that volume on top/curls are just weighed down.

My variation of the sock bun. I did the actual bun earlier, but it ends up GINORMOUS, so I did a half and half... my boyfriend says it's sexy... :-D

263700_10150311990646348_668206347_9826841_1365167_n.jpg

Side view:

267822_10150311990711348_668206347_9826842_5370040_n.jpg

To make your hair (and nails) grow faster, supplement with Biotin. You can buy it whenever you can buy vitamins, or there's an over-the-counter supplement called "Appearex" that you can ask for at pharmacy counters. My podiatrist recommended it to me when I had to have a toenail removed a couple of years ago (infection from a pedicure, eek!... never going to a cheap mall nail salon ever again) to help it grow back faster. He specifically warned me, though, that people who dye their hair get annoyed when they take Biotin supplements because it makes their hair (and thus roots) grow out way too fast.

Anyway, I was blown away by how fast I saw results after I started taking it daily. My nails were longer and stronger than they had ever been in my entire life and I kept having to go for haircuts. It's really a great supplement. No side effects from what I can tell, either.

My hair's too fine to cover the sock. :cry: I'm still hoping for some curl, though. I had to get my husband to roll it up; I couldn't get it.

Archived