denimjumper

It must be my lucky day for emails as not only have I gotten one from Steve Maxwell but Kelly Bates has just replied to one I sent in March asking about her daughter Erin's hair and how it stays curly. She said only Alyssa has a perm and Erin sleeps in foam rollers every other night to make her curls. So there you go.

That's interesting... I'm so nosey, though. I have to ask: was it a nice email? Or was it like "Why are you asking this....?"

That's interesting... I'm so nosey, though. I have to ask: was it a nice email? Or was it like "Why are you asking this....?"

Ditto. Well, at least she works to look like a Gibson Girl.

Erin sleeps in foam rollers every other night to make her curls

Wow. How very...Fifties. And darned uncomfortable. I hated trying to sleep with my hair in rollers on those occasions when my mom decided I needed to look especially "girly" (usually Christmas, Easter, times like that).

Although I do remember my sister rolling her hair on orange juice cans every night to get that 60's style smooth flip. That was pretty amusing.

I decided a long time ago that if "God" wanted my hair to be all curly and cute, or long and smooth, he would've made it that way, instead of forcing me to waste my time trying to convince my thin wavy hair to do something other than go in all directions when it's short, or lay dead flat when it gets past my ears. The woman who cuts my hair keeps trying to convince me that EVERY woman needs to spend a little time every morning with a curling iron and a styling brush. "It'll only take you 30 minutes!" THIRTY MINUTES?!!! Wasted on HAIR, which is just dead strands of protein anyway?!! If I had 30 minutes to waste every day, you can rest assured it wouldn't go to my hair...

Sigh...I am NEVER going to be a fundie, am I? :lol:

I third the question about how the email is worded. That is some amazing hair, but I always find myself asking "Why?" when I see it. It is obviously her personal preference as the other girls' hair is pretty close to normal (for fundies).

I used to sleep in foam rollers every other night. That was the only way my hair would hold a curl. Curling irons, blow drying with rollers, nothing else worked. I never found it uncomfortable. It felt sort of weird at first but then I got used to it. Now my hair is so long that it takes forever to roll it up and I have to do it just right or it won't dry properly, so I only do it for extra special occasions like Christmas Eve.

Ditto not spending a lot of time on my hair. I blow dry it, because otherwise it would be wet until three o'clock in the afternoon, but the blow drying is strictly to get the water out. I gave up on styling it long ago. On days when I don't wash it, I spend five minutes sticking a couple of pins or a clip in it and call it good. This is why I LOVE my hair long. When it's short, I can spend all day fighting with it and it still looks like crap.

I decided a long time ago that if "God" wanted my hair to be all curly and cute, or long and smooth, he would've made it that way, instead of forcing me to waste my time trying to convince my thin wavy hair to do something other than go in all directions when it's short, or lay dead flat when it gets past my ears.

You have half my hair! :shock:

My thin hair is dead flat until it reaches my ears and then starts in a spiral curl. It looks right silly if you ask me.

I also remember my sisters using huge rollers back in the 70's to get silky straight hair. They used to get mad at me for wearing the pink rollers on my thieghs and couldn't wait until I grew to big to do that. When I did I still wore them on my wrists. :shifty:

I can't stand sleeping in curlers, which is why I go for the sock bun. Easy curls that stay in and you can sleep in it without it being in your way since it's right on the top of your head.

I can't stand sleeping in curlers, which is why I go for the sock bun. Easy curls that stay in and you can sleep in it without it being in your way since it's right on the top of your head.

Please send more information about the sock bun.

Wow. How very...Fifties. And darned uncomfortable. I hated trying to sleep with my hair in rollers on those occasions when my mom decided I needed to look especially "girly" (usually Christmas, Easter, times like that).

Although I do remember my sister rolling her hair on orange juice cans every night to get that 60's style smooth flip. That was pretty amusing.

I decided a long time ago that if "God" wanted my hair to be all curly and cute, or long and smooth, he would've made it that way, instead of forcing me to waste my time trying to convince my thin wavy hair to do something other than go in all directions when it's short, or lay dead flat when it gets past my ears. The woman who cuts my hair keeps trying to convince me that EVERY woman needs to spend a little time every morning with a curling iron and a styling brush. "It'll only take you 30 minutes!" THIRTY MINUTES?!!! Wasted on HAIR, which is just dead strands of protein anyway?!! If I had 30 minutes to waste every day, you can rest assured it wouldn't go to my hair...

Sigh...I am NEVER going to be a fundie, am I? :lol:

I have been known to spend an hour (or more) on my hair...

Please send more information about the sock bun.

here is a video that teaches you how to do it:

She models it on the side of her head, but if you start with a ponytail directly on the top of your head it makes it easier to sleep in.

Summary: Take a sock and cut off the very end part where your toes go. Roll the sock into itself to make a doughnut shape. Put all your hair in ponytail on top of your head. Spritz your hair with water so it's damp (just a bit - you don't want it to be so wet that it won't dry by the time you want to take the bun out). Take the sock doughnut and wrap the ends of your hair around it. Roll the sock, taking your hair with it (this is where the video comes in handy since this part is hard to explain without a visual). Roll the sock/hair all the way down to your head. Leave in until your hair dries (I usually just sleep in it). Unroll the sock to take the bun out.

She models it on the side of her head, but if you start with a ponytail directly on the top of your head it makes it easier to sleep in.

Summary: Take a sock and cut off the very end part where your toes go. Roll the sock into itself to make a doughnut shape. Put all your hair in ponytail on top of your head. Spritz your hair with water so it's damp (just a bit - you don't want it to be so wet that it won't dry by the time you want to take the bun out). Take the sock doughnut and wrap the ends of your hair around it. Roll the sock, taking your hair with it (this is where the video comes in handy since this part is hard to explain without a visual). Roll the sock/hair all the way down to your head. Leave in until your hair dries (I usually just sleep in it). Unroll the sock to take the bun out.

Oooo... That same girl explains the sock curling method in this video.

This has made me very happy!

Edited because I was so excited I forgot the link!

Great, you had to post this...

now I'm gonna be breaking out the foam rollers tomorrow night and seeing if my hair will hold a curl now.

I'm going through this whole phase of wanting to do "something" with it, because it's finally longish again. I've done rag curls and pin curls in the past, but my hair does not hold hot roller or curling iron curls well at all.

Considering I had the whole Gibson girl 'do going on about 2 days ago (yes, really), it's worth giving it a try.

Great, you had to post this...

now I'm gonna be breaking out the foam rollers tomorrow night and seeing if my hair will hold a curl now.

I'm going through this whole phase of wanting to do "something" with it, because it's finally longish again. I've done rag curls and pin curls in the past, but my hair does not hold hot roller or curling iron curls well at all.

Considering I had the whole Gibson girl 'do going on about 2 days ago (yes, really), it's worth giving it a try.

And you didn't take pictures?!? :shock: :naughty:

Damnit, why won't my hair grow faster?

I'm still :angry-fire: about how much the hairdresser needlessly chopped off of my hair. I donated 14" or so but where the initial cut was was about an inch or two longer than the length I wanted - shoulders. FIVE MONTHS later it still isn't at my shoulders, and I've been taking prenatal vitamins nearly the whole time to help it grow faster.

I want to do the sock bun to curl my hair!

EEEEEEE!!!! I love you!!!! <3 <3 <3

I am so trying this! (the sock bun itself, it looks awesome!)

Eeeeeeeee! Thank you so much for posting it! I must try it one of these nights! My hair's nowhere near as long as hers...hope it will still work.

Okay, maybe if I had thick hair like Erin or the girl in the video, I might be tempted to do something with it besides blowdry and fingercomb it (when I even bother to blowdry - If I don't, my hair dries on its own in about 10-15 minutes.).

If I tried to do a "sock bun" with my hair, I would have to use a baby sock. :lol: Seriously - when I put it in a ponytail (usually only for workouts), I use "little girl" elastics, the kind that are about as big around as your finger, and they usually go 3-4 times around the ponytail. That is ALL the hair on my head. It's equal to like one strand of one braid of most people's hair. Its only social grace is that when it's short enough, it is wavy, so at least I look like I have hair (albeit crazed electroshock escapee hair). Also, if/when I ever bother to curl it, it holds a curl TENACIOUSLY (like I put a hot roller in for no more than 10 seconds, or I look like Shirley Temple with Jheri curls).

Face it, I got "bad white hair." :violin:

I've often thought I should just get up the nerve and shave it all off, but then I'm also the Webster definition of "white" - I sunburn in about 10 minutes on a winter day - and I've burned my scalp often enough WITH hair on. I can't imagine how bad it would be without.

Maybe it's all those tater tot casseroles - if only my mom had fed me ice cream sandwich cakes and chickenetti, maybe my hair would be thick and lustrous. Ya think? :roll:

I used to sleep in foam rollers every other night. That was the only way my hair would hold a curl. Curling irons, blow drying with rollers, nothing else worked. I never found it uncomfortable. It felt sort of weird at first but then I got used to it. Now my hair is so long that it takes forever to roll it up and I have to do it just right or it won't dry properly, so I only do it for extra special occasions like Christmas Eve.

Ditto not spending a lot of time on my hair. I blow dry it, because otherwise it would be wet until three o'clock in the afternoon, but the blow drying is strictly to get the water out. I gave up on styling it long ago. On days when I don't wash it, I spend five minutes sticking a couple of pins or a clip in it and call it good. This is why I LOVE my hair long. When it's short, I can spend all day fighting with it and it still looks like crap.

Assuming the avatar is you. I like your hair.

I'm lazy so I spend little time on my hair. Sometimes, I think that I should shave it all off but I'm not courageous enough to handle the strange looks that I would get.

Erin's hair amazes me. Does she wear big hair because she wants to set herself apart as an individual? Perhaps in another family, she'd be the girl with spikey, purple hair. Or does she really just want to be attractive? The baggy frumpers aren't really feminine, no matter what the fundies claim. They hide the female form and have a similar appearance on all the girls. Maybe she wants to be noticed.

I also wonder what inspired her hair style.

EEEEEEE!!!! I love you!!!! <3 <3 <3

I am so trying this! (the sock bun itself, it looks awesome!)

MY daughter will want to try this tonight, her hair is straight. Of course of the 3 kids, my oldest son is the one who has the curly long hair.(LOL,he is 15 with sausage curls and perfect waves on humid days. It forces him to brush that long ass hai to keep the sausages at bay)

Haha :) I have weird hair myself, a lot like LadyPug, straight til it hits my ears, then wavy all the way down. If I get out of the shower and let it air dry, it gets curly and frizzy a la Granger, but if I blow dry it, it gets nice and straight. Even better with a straightening iron. If i use the hot rollers, my hair gets a nice curl and bounce to it, but I don't like doing it often. I should try that sock donut thing and see how it goes, it would be a good tool to have for down the road if Sevy wants her hair done up nicely instead of the waist length hippie style she favors now (she hasn't had an haircut since age 2).

Damnit, why won't my hair grow faster?

I'm still :angry-fire: about how much the hairdresser needlessly chopped off of my hair. I donated 14" or so but where the initial cut was was about an inch or two longer than the length I wanted - shoulders. FIVE MONTHS later it still isn't at my shoulders, and I've been taking prenatal vitamins nearly the whole time to help it grow faster.

I want to do the sock bun to curl my hair!

brewer's yeast works wonder!!!

ETA: I put my former roomate on it and while she had tried to grow her hair out for a year and a half, brewer'S yeast made it grow in 2 months. I swear. It also makes your nails grow fast, but well it's worth it!

I've been regrowing my hair too, to see if using natural products makes it easier to have long hair (I have baby fine hair, quite a bit of it but since it's so thin people think I don't have that much hair, perming them just showed them wrong - and it's very tangly. As in the hairdresser untangles one side, and by the time she's done with the other side, the first part is tangled again...). Anyway I used to perm it - it looked very natural - but since I'm on a natural products only I thought it was stupid to keep putting chemicals on my hair. I know my new roomate has some slick foam rolls she sometimes wear, I have to ask her again how to do it and try. But my hair does not retain curls very well.

I wanted to say the other day that Erin's hair is like the 50's- I watched born on the 4th of july for the first time for the last 4th of july and tom cruise's would be girlfriend has the exact same hair. but I doubt Erin takes it from that movie, but most certainly from that "era".

Archived