IGNORED

Update on the Morton blog

ophelia

Oh yeah, she's absolutely fundie now. But she's had many more "normal" experiences and still turned out as conservative/extreme as she is, so I don't see why they're still keeping the other girls at home. It's not like they "messed up" with the first one.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I read her blog, I don't know if she purposefully places a "oh, dumb me, good thing I have a husband" spin on things, but she makes herself come off as a complete moron. Honestly, LL is often cited as an example of "but, she went to COLLEGE", but I don't see her any differently from the other fundies. She's a bit like Anna from PVS who stated once that "she was glad to be done with college early and get on with the things that mattered in life, a husband and kids." I have mixed feelings on this. Why does someone go to college at all if they have NO INTENTION of using their degree and they are set in the ways of scoring a man and gettin' the preggers on. My main question is, if these girls have NO PLAN for working with the degree after graduation, who plays for their student loans (doesn't Anna have a doctorate too?)?

When I read her blog, I don't know if she purposefully places a "oh, dumb me, good thing I have a husband" spin on things, but she makes herself come off as a complete moron. Honestly, LL is often cited as an example of "but, she went to COLLEGE", but I don't see her any differently from the other fundies. She's a bit like Anna from PVS who stated once that "she was glad to be done with college early and get on with the things that mattered in life, a husband and kids." I have mixed feelings on this. Why does someone go to college at all if they have NO INTENTION of using their degree and they are set in the ways of scoring a man and gettin' the preggers on. My main question is, if these girls have NO PLAN for working with the degree after graduation, who plays for their student loans (doesn't Anna have a doctorate too?)?

I think for some of these girls, they use it as an edge and for some it's just what they're used to. The whole SAHD thing is new for some of these families, the idea being you go to college, get married and then start a family. The idea being to have the degree to contribute. They seem to keep the format but not the use of the degree, outside of homeschooling.

True. Now that you mention it, even if all they used it for was homeschooling, well - most teachers have to have a BA in something anyway, and maybe they'd at least think about teaching subjects beyond Wisdom Booklets.

Yeah, I think Addie is starting to realize life isn't as idealistic as it seemed. I really really think Martha will get married before her. Not sure why, I just do.

Totally agree. I can definitely see Martha getting married before Addie. To me, Addie with her enthusiasm at full blast 100% of the time and the fact that she's CLEARLY a pretty emotional person, seems a lot to take. I would think guys would find her to be one of those people that's just TOO much all around. It's just such a shame she lives in a world where all of her energy and talents can ONLY be used in one area. I could totally see her embracing college life and having a successful career what with her energy level. Unfortunately she'll just have to sit around and wait for a guy that may or may not come. Shame.

Can you guys imagine Addie on Pinterest? And with a budget to shop at Anthropologie?

LOL if she'd be anything like the Campanas and Bekah Sanders, it's probably a lot of pretty dresses and house stuff.

Good grief, their photo captions are almost intolerable. First they did the baby talk with Kressent's kid:

"Dey wouldn't wet me dancth."

"So, I pwayed wif deys blocks. Thee how nice dey are?"

:roll:

Then this grammatical nightmare:

"It was a riot-frequent fits of laughter often cause loss of breath and highly increased fun."

:think:

New update! Those are some lovely pictures of Addie and Martha. And WAY more than we usually see.. I wonder if they're being purposefully highlighted for courtships. I know they're from last year but still. Martha looks a lot like Dorothy in some of the shots, more so than I've noticed before. Addie doesn't look much like Martha and Dorothy or Katie.. interesting. Do the Campanas have any courting age sons?

Also, is baby Isa wearing pants? Maybe Kressy's gone straight up Sanders style liberal. Revolution in the S'Morton compound!

Well Isa is still a baby, so she might be allowed to wear pants know, but as soon as she hits the "I'm old enough to take over momma's chores so she can have more blessings"-age she'll be forced to wear skirt. I somehow can't see Kressy and her husband to get as liberal as the Sanders.. but maybe we should just hope for the best.

New update! Those are some lovely pictures of Addie and Martha. And WAY more than we usually see.. I wonder if they're being purposefully highlighted for courtships. I know they're from last year but still. Martha looks a lot like Dorothy in some of the shots, more so than I've noticed before. Addie doesn't look much like Martha and Dorothy or Katie.. interesting. Do the Campanas have any courting age sons?

Also, is baby Isa wearing pants? Maybe Kressy's gone straight up Sanders style liberal. Revolution in the S'Morton compound!

Well, my private theory is that one or both of the girls is getting frustrated at not courting yet, so maybe they decided to post some of these flattering pics to update their portfolio, as it were.

As for Isa and pants - the Smiths fascinate me in general because they were just so zealous about everything, BUT those girls were dressing normally, in jeans and tanktops, all the way up to teen age. I know Kress and Rachel are married to Mortons (who seem to have been completely raised in the frumper era) and living on the compound probably keeps the peer pressure on, but I am really curious to see what they do in the long term. Note that they spent a good amount of time at sea, in regular shorts, swimsuits, etc, and it would seem they never did give up the swimsuit thing (edit: not here, obviously, but I think this beach trip was still in winter. We've seen pics of them in swimsuits elsewhere).

Even Bethany, the youngest of the original bunch, looked to be about ten or twelve before they really started getting into the courtship/VF/father-led/skirt stuff (though I'm quite sure Papa Smith was always a power-tripping douche). Her formative years were at least partially spent with a different sensibility that had to be rewired. And she's not on the compound, either.

Kress & Michael Jr, Rach & Wes, and Cleve & Lise all live on the M compound. Darth lives on the Sanders compound with Noah. Alan and Katie presumably live somewhere near the Smith parents. It seemed for a little while like they might be at the M compound too, but maybe they were just visiting a lot - at any rate there's certainly no house built for them or anything. Bethany lives in an apartment with her husband near his town, I think.

And they can all live from the stuff they produce on the farm?? I can hardly believe that.. but if you don't invest in your childrens education, do homebirths without medical assistance and don't have an insurance it probably works... :-/

And they can all live from the stuff they produce on the farm?? I can hardly believe that.. but if you don't invest in your childrens education, do homebirths without medical assistance and don't have an insurance it probably works... :-/

Well, no, I think the Morton men have a construction company, too. Although seeing the pictures of home construction on the compound, I sure wouldn't want to be in one of their houses when a tornado comes through.

Well, no, I think the Morton men have a construction company, too. Although seeing the pictures of home construction on the compound, I sure wouldn't want to be in one of their houses when a tornado comes through.

Well, I don't know how 'south' in "South Georgia" they really are, but in Florida houses aren't built with basements - you hit water - and you're pretty much screwed if a tornado comes through regardless.

Well, I don't know how 'south' in "South Georgia" they really are, but in Florida houses aren't built with basements - you hit water - and you're pretty much screwed if a tornado comes through regardless.

The Mortons have a farm and the construction company. They're about an hour and half from Tallahassee according to google maps, and in what I'd consider South Georgia. Anything within a quick trip to Florida counts to me.

The Mortons have a farm and the construction company. They're about an hour and half from Tallahassee according to google maps, and in what I'd consider South Georgia. Anything within a quick trip to Florida counts to me.

Right, so what I'm saying is, if the building practices are anything like what Florida is forced to deal with, well, you just have to hope a tornado doesn't hit you head-on. At least GA is about half as likely as FL to actually have a tornado.

The Morton compound must be huge to have space for all those families..

and by the rate the SMorton ladies have their babies, they could found their own kindergarten.

I just realized their trip to the Campanas was probably less courtship and more "Please help me build my house!" If you look, none of the inside is done still, and the guys are missing from all the pictures.

I just realized their trip to the Campanas was probably less courtship and more "Please help me build my house!" If you look, none of the inside is done still, and the guys are missing from all the pictures.

Yup yup. I don't follow the Campanas too closely because they make me cringe with all the abortion stuff, but they've been working on that house for some time. Least the girls got to go to the beach and have fun instead of just serve food to the menfolk the whole time.

New update! Those are some lovely pictures of Addie and Martha. And WAY more than we usually see.. I wonder if they're being purposefully highlighted for courtships. I know they're from last year but still. Martha looks a lot like Dorothy in some of the shots, more so than I've noticed before. Addie doesn't look much like Martha and Dorothy or Katie.. interesting.

Dorothy looks the most like their mother, in my opinion, but with blonde hair. Katie and Martha also strongly favor her. However, Martha also reminds me of Cleve (and Sam) - their features just seem a little sharper than Katie and Darth (I feel like this distinction is all in the eyebrow/eye range. Maybe the nose too.). Michael is at the far end of the sharper features/lanky category, though his general demeanor and Amish beard means we don't tend to draw many comparisons between him and Cleve.

At the other end you have a whole different body/facial type - broader, maybe a little predisposed to chunkiness or muscle. That's where you put Wes, Andrew, and Addie (and probably others down the line, I'm not familiar with the younger ones). We could say this comes from the father's side, but honestly it's tough to tell with him. Could be they all favor their grandmother on their mother's side, who knows. And with genetics, obviously everyone is a blend so there's no really fitting in this or that box - and then to muddle the mix you've probably got people who may physically look different, but have the same exact facial expressions and mannerisms... It's fun to evaluate, though, and the Mortons do certainly give ample amounts of data.

Apparently in their opinions, they consider Darth and Sam, Addie and Wes, and Marth and Michael to be "lookalikes" - as mentioned here: mortonclanthree.blogspot.com/2011/12/ww-part-4-rehersal-dinner.html

I wish they would stop posting on things that happened months ago--Cleve and Lise's shower? It's practically time for a baby shower for those two, and they're still dragging out the wedding shower photos?

I wish they would stop posting on things that happened months ago--Cleve and Lise's shower? It's practically time for a baby shower for those two, and they're still dragging out the wedding shower photos?

They've deleted the shower photos even! At least we know Addie's been ungrounded.

Archived