IGNORED

Now Sarah is taking OneTon Ramp....

Justme

Sarah needs to lay off the hot chocolate a bit - she has gained some weight. It's noticable because she was so tiny. I guess I don't blame her at all for seeking comfort where she can.

I looked at the picture again and I think it's just the shapeless sweater she's wearing combined with the fact that they always layer their shirts, thus making the whole look more bulky. I think Steve restricts what they all eat, plus they have a family exercise regime.

I looked at the picture again and I think it's just the shapeless sweater she's wearing combined with the fact that they always layer their shirts, thus making the whole look more bulky. I think Steve restricts what they all eat, plus they have a family exercise regime.

I think she's just fine. I think it's just the photo. I don't think Stevie would allow anyone in his household to be even a tad overweight.

Guest Anonymous

I think she's just fine. I think it's just the photo. I don't think Stevie would allow anyone in his household to be even a tad overweight.

I think it would be completely irrelevant if she had put on weight and certainly no need to 'lay off' hot chocolate or anything else.

There is much that is snarkworthy about that family but physical appearance is not a part of it. :roll:

That, and the fact that what they're teaching is stuff that any motivated student can teach themselves for free by looking up information online (or asking a tech-savvy friend or relative), or for the cost of a 'Dummies' book. It's the most basic computer knowledge; nothing more.

Teaching a skill you have can be fun and make you a little bit of extra money. But when the skills you're teaching are ones that countless people already have? You're not going to get a lot of takers. If I'm going to pay $200/$1000 for an unaccredited online course, it's going to be in something I can't learn from just anyone, or by picking up a book, or by seeking answers online.

This. I agree I think people probably do get turned off by the cost the courses. Some community college teach classes accredited class for the same amount of money or sometimes less. I agree you can also learn by finding answers online or by books that don't cost a lot.

The Maxwells are pretty dumb about some of their products. They offer certain things that can be found in another places with better quality. I laughed when tried to get rid of the scripture prints.

I think it would be completely irrelevant if she had put on weight and certainly no need to 'lay off' hot chocolate or anything else.

There is much that is snarkworthy about that family but physical appearance is not a part of it. :roll:

Agreed 100% with you. But, I always think the Maxwell daughters are quite pretty, at least from my POV. 100% sincere, I think they look quite good.

...even in frumpers. But I know I've mentioned before I grew up in a time and place where jumpers (not quite FRUMPERS, ours tied behind the waist and flared so they were shapely!) to mid-calf and sneakers (rolled down high top plaid Chuck Taylors, even) were fashionable, so... YMMV.

The scary thing to me about them is the mental restrictions. A true nerd needs research freedom, y'know??? :D

Guest Anonymous

There was a time in the mid-90s when frumpers were fashionable over here, though there were of the floaty, spaghetti strap variety.... but yeah, I wore them.... :lol:

Get this... I grew up in the land of "Engrish" (well, one of many I guess!) and so I owned a jumper that was a sort of ochre color, normal wide shoulder straps "vest" part, waist tie, and flared shirt, so nice shape, and then on the skirt part though it said in large letters toward the bottom in a random "this looks good and cool, surely, it's some exotic language!!" text "Bodies are Made for Love".

...yeah. Had that one at the TIME I moved to the US, and sure enough, I did not wear it again :D

I can't imagine the Maxwells wearing that!

The Maxwells are pretty dumb about some of their products. They offer certain things that can be found in another places with better quality. I laughed when tried to get rid of the scripture prints.

Creating a winner of a product means you either have to offer a new, improved, fresh version of something that already exists, or else you have to come up with something awesome that didn't exist until you created it.

To do either one requires creativity, which requires imagination. And Steve Maxwell, like many fundies, has made a point of stamping out any genuine imagination his kids might have had. Imagination, after all, might lead them to dream up a life for themselves that had nothing to do with him, and that took them far beyond his control.

As with the Bible-verse posters, 1TonRamp is a safely mediocre solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. And it shows just how unimaginative and uncreative the Maxwells are.

Creating a winner of a product means you either have to offer a new, improved, fresh version of something that already exists, or else you have to come up with something awesome that didn't exist until you created it.

To do either one requires creativity, which requires imagination. And Steve Maxwell, like many fundies, has made a point of stamping out any genuine imagination his kids might have had. Imagination, after all, might lead them to dream up a life for themselves that had nothing to do with him, and that took them far beyond his control.

As with the Bible-verse posters, 1TonRamp is a safely mediocre solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. And it shows just how unimaginative and uncreative the Maxwells are.

The Maxwells got lucky with their initial "Managers of their Home" book. They were first on the market and had good advice for early homeschoolers struggling with no blueprint on how to proceed. The popularity of homeschooling means that there are now larger companies involved in homeschooling books and they can produce more professional products for less cost than the Maxwells, squeezing the Maxwells out of their market. Like any small businesses, in order to compete against the larger companies, you must either offer something unique and "specialized" or offer a superior but cheaper product. People aren't willing to pay a lot of money for mediocre stuff when they can get comparable things for cheap.

Of course, the Maxwells may also be feeling the sting of the recession. Despite trying to put their collective head in the sand, not even they are immune to the wider economy. It makes me wonder how aware they are of the recession's scope. They were probably smug in their belief that their superior lifestyle make them immune to the economic downturn. Well...surprise is on them! :D

No self promotion tours scheduled for the year, just a few weekends/nights on the schedule - they are trying to drum up business. Period. They don't have anything vested in Sarah becoming educated, they only need others to see her and want to do what she is doing. She is a 30 year old advertising poster for her father & brother and their 'business'. The family has got to be low on funds without weeks on the road promoting themselves and getting love offerings. They have to make ends meet somehow, and the whole 'Look, our SAHD is thrilled to take our class! Look how happy and excited she is! Look how much she is learning. And, even when she is learning from her brother & father's chosen curriculum, she can still have hot chocolate and enjoy it all'!

It's all the same shit from them. Self promotion, money making ideas, using their children as a means to a financial end.

And Sarah is stuck doing daddy's bidding because independent thought and self-esteem were stomped out of her before puberty.

The Maxwells got lucky with their initial "Managers of their Home" book. They were first on the market and had good advice for early homeschoolers struggling with no blueprint on how to proceed. The popularity of homeschooling means that there are now larger companies involved in homeschooling books and they can produce more professional products for less cost than the Maxwells, squeezing the Maxwells out of their market. Like any small businesses, in order to compete against the larger companies, you must either offer something unique and "specialized" or offer a superior but cheaper product. People aren't willing to pay a lot of money for mediocre stuff when they can get comparable things for cheap.

Of course, the Maxwells may also be feeling the sting of the recession. Despite trying to put their collective head in the sand, not even they are immune to the wider economy. It makes me wonder how aware they are of the recession's scope. They were probably smug in their belief that their superior lifestyle make them immune to the economic downturn. Well...surprise is on them! :D

Yeah, they have to pay the same inflated prices for food and gasoline as everybody else.

I always find it interesting that the OneTon Ramp posts get the fewest comments from blog followers and the of the comments they do get VERY few are from people who have taken a course. I definitely take that as a sign of a lack of interest given that pregnancy and yogurt-making/coking posts routinely get 30-40 comments. We know they have a critical mass of readers ...

Archived