IGNORED

Scary side of Virginia ultrasound law

chiccy

They rarely do them that early anymore because the risks of perforated uterus.

Just one of the reasons why I seldom contribute anecdotal observations on some threads, reproductive medicine has advanced so much over the years.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just one of the reasons why I seldom contribute anecdotal observations on some threads, reproductive medicine has advanced so much over the years.

I wasn't hand slapping just saying. I too have a similar issue as medical abortions weren't legal. So I don't know as much about those....I am not sure how early ru486 can be used. But one of the reasons I commented on this is that I sometimes hear about women not getting abortions early enough. The window in most states for a 1st trimester abortion is very small.

Anyhow, I was just commenting...not so much anything else :)

I wasn't hand slapping just saying. I too have a similar issue as medical abortions weren't legal. So I don't know as much about those....I am not sure how early ru486 can be used. But one of the reasons I commented on this is that I sometimes hear about women not getting abortions early enough. The window in most states for a 1st trimester abortion is very small.Anyhow, I was just commenting...not so much anything else :)

I didn't consider it a handslap, I'm good :D It did prompt me to call the DD and find out if she had a US when she had a termination 5 years ago (locally our religiously affiliated hospital is the only area provider). She went in at 6 wks and no ultra sound either. I'm now I'm wondering about the quality of care in my area.

They rarely do them that early anymore because the risks of perforated uterus.

Well this is interesting. So under the new law, they'll have to do the ultrasound for all pregnancies, despite said risks? Is that correct? ...So now we know that in some cases, it's not just medically unnecessary, it's medically inadvisable. And risky. And yet it's the law.

Great.

Am I mistaken about some part of that or is it as bad as it sounds??

Well this is interesting. So under the new law, they'll have to do the ultrasound for all pregnancies, despite said risks? Is that correct? ...So now we know that in some cases, it's not just medically unnecessary, it's medically inadvisable. And risky. And yet it's the law.

Great.

Am I mistaken about some part of that or is it as bad as it sounds??

I meant they don't do surgical abortions at 3 weeks gestational or 5 weeks from LMP because the risk is higher that you will end up with a perforated uterus in trying to get all the products of conception. In my state you typically have to be between 10 to 14 weeks from LMP. And often they just ask...if they decide you might be earlier or further along then then do an u/s

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc- ... ml?hpid=z2

RICHMOND — Gov. Robert F. McDonnell is backing off his unconditional support for a bill requiring women to have an ultrasound before an abortion, focusing new attention on one of the most controversial pieces of legislation in Virginia’s General Assembly this year.

Until this weekend, McDonnell ® and his aides had said the governor would sign the measure if it made it to his desk. McDonnell, who strongly opposes abortion, will no longer make that commitment.

Hundreds of women locked arms and stood mute outside the Virginia State Capitol to protest a wave of anti-abortion legislation coursing through the 2012 General Assembly. (Feb. 20)

Hundreds of women locked arms and stood mute outside the Virginia State Capitol to protest a wave of anti-abortion legislation coursing through the 2012 General Assembly. (Feb. 20)

A Virginia Senate committee voted to approve a ‘personhood’ proposal, despite opposition by those who say the measure could prohibit birth control and in vitro fertilization.

Drive-by emissions testing clears Va. House and Senate

Motorists would be allowed to drive by on-road remote sensors.

Read more

But delegates and governor’s staff were scheduled to meet Tuesday night to strike a compromise after learning that some ultrasounds could be more invasive than first thought, according to two officials who were aware of the meeting but not authorized to speak about it publicly. Many of the bill’s supporters were apparently unaware of how invasive the procedure could be, one of the officials added.

The Virginia legislation has become part of the broader national debate over reproductive rights and has drawn attention to McDonnell, a rising star in his party and a possible vice presidential contender. The legislation has been the topic of cable news shows, was part of a “Saturday Night Live†sketch and drew protesters to Richmond on Monday.

McDonnell’s office would say Tuesday only that the governor will “review†the bill if it is approved.

“Our position is: If the General Assembly passes this bill the governor will review it, in its final form, at that time,†McDonnell spokesman Tucker Martin said in a statement. He declined to explain the change in approach, but Virginia’s governors can sign, veto or amend legislation.

The House and Senate have approved their versions of the bill. On Tuesday, the House postponed a final vote on the legislation— as well as votes on other measures on guns and adoption — for the second day in a row.

“Something is happening,’’ Jessica Honke, a lobbyist for Planned Parenthood Advocates of Virginia, said hopefully. “It’s important for [the governor] to take a long, hard look before he actually does this.â€

In recent days, abortion supporters have emphasized that women in the earliest stages of pregnancy may require a probe instead of an external test.

About 1,200 men and women held a silent protest outside the state Capitol on Monday, wearing hand-decorated T-shirts that bore such messages as “Virginia is for lovers, not probes.’’

Opponents of the measure expect to turn over petitions with 25,000 signatures on Wednesday and are planning a second rally on Thursday.

In the past week, the issue has been featured on left-leaning shows, including “The Rachel Maddow Show†and “PoliticsNation with Al Sharpton.†And “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart†arrived in Richmond on Tuesday to film.

The legislation is being used against Republicans outside of the General Assembly. National and state Democrats have criticized U.S. Senate candidate George Allen for his anti-abortion stand and have derided McDonnell, who has hit the campaign trail for presidential hopeful Mitt Romney.

Republicans at the Capitol, however, remain optimistic that McDonnell will sign the measure.

Last week Virginia's House passed a mandatory ultrasound bill and a personhood bill. After a week of reaction and ridicule, the governor has dropped his endorsement of the ultrasound bill and the Virginia Senate sent the personhood bill back to committee until 2013. Of course the headline is:

Va. Senate kills 'personhood' bill for this year

wtop.com/?nid=120&sid=2747524

I disagree with the bill but wanted to say that I had a TV ultrasound done at six and eight weeks with each of my pregnancies and what I saw on the screen did not look anything like a baby if that's the reaction the conservatives want. If they just want to jam an ultrasound wand into a woman they have achieved that goal.

I disagree with the bill but wanted to say that I had a TV ultrasound done at six and eight weeks with each of my pregnancies and what I saw on the screen did not look anything like a baby if that's the reaction the conservatives want. If they just want to jam an ultrasound wand into a woman they have achieved that goal.

Yeah my ultrasound for my planned 2nd pregnancy at 6w looked like a blob. Like a unshelled peanut.

Archived